The iPad. A giant iPod to lug around!

Comments

• simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Main worry for me is it still seems to be tied to the iPhone's lack of multitasking - I can see that being a pain. And speaking of the iPhone, I was also rather disappointed there was no mention on whether this would mean an OS upgrade for the iPhone too - but that's more for the forum next door.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    I've just spotted that the iBooks feature is only available in the US according to the small print at the bottom of HERE

It also seems to run iPhone OS 3.2 looking at the SDK download page so perhaps some iPad stuff will be coming to iPhone too
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    the US site has uploaded a iPad section....... checked UK but we don't have the page:
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the mention in iBooks of being able to buy "everything from classics to bestsellers from the built-in iBookstore." {emphasis mine} In other words, they will charge you for stuff that is out of copy write, and free anywhere else.
  • Lukey37Lukey37 Posts: 5,369
    Forum Member
    That docking keyboard looks like some cheap 3rd party accessory.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lukey37 wrote: »

Yep. From experience I can guarantee that the word cheap doesn't figure in Apple's accessories! I had a 3rd party AV cable for my ipod that cost £3 from ebay. Then Apple updates the firmware and my cable doesn't work. The official one that does work costs £36.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lukey37 wrote: »

It looks like the standard iMac wireless keyboard with a stand on the back.
  • Lukey37Lukey37 Posts: 5,369
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying the keyboard looks cheap. Just the way it attaches to the device. It reminds me off those 3rd party add ons you get for handheld game consoles. They don't really match and look awkward with the device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like it would wobble as you typed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like it would wobble as you typed.

its still gonna be a big seller though isnt it (i was looking for an ebook reader, so if i can get this for £300, that'll do for me)
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    iBooks only works in the US. Check the link in my post above
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My £220 netbook is much better than this. My netbook has a camera, a microphone, runs flash, 160gb hard drive, itunes, 3 usb ports, TV out. Windows 7 ultimate.

Why would I need a bigger Ipod Touch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    My £220 netbook is much better than this. My netbook has a camera, a microphone, runs flash, 160gb hard drive, itunes, 3 usb ports, TV out. Windows 7 ultimate.

Why would I need a bigger Ipod Touch.

Which is that? I paid £180 for my Acer Aspire One, but it is the 8gb linux version, and is a bit sluggish.
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    Yep. From experience I can guarantee that the word cheap doesn't figure in Apple's accessories! I had a 3rd party AV cable for my ipod that cost £3 from ebay. Then Apple updates the firmware and my cable doesn't work. The official one that does work costs £36.

You can hack that, my £3 av cable from ebay now works perfectly on my iPod Touch running 3.1
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Only Apple fanboys would buy this. Also the $14.99 price per book is too high. People dont want to pay that, just go and ask Amazon. People will pay $10 max!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ebook thing is ridiculous. They have created a way to deliver books directly to consumers, no physical matter needed, no middlemen, and yet the price doesn't reflect this.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Gizmodo's take

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad

Quote:
    My god, am I underwhelmed by the iPad. This is as inessential a product as I've ever seen, but beyond that, it has some absolutely backbreaking failures that will make me judge anyone who buys one.

Big, Ugly Bezel
    Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

No Multitasking
    This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

No Cameras
    No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

Touch Keyboard
    So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

No HDMI/HD Video Out
    Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

The Name iPad
    Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

No Flash
    No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
    So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is that? I paid £180 for my Acer Aspire One, but it is the 8gb linux version, and is a bit sluggish.

I also have an Acer Aspire One, first thing I did was replace XP with Windows 7. Itunes can be a pain to use sometimes but for everything else including Office 2007, it works fine.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    I'm not seeing it actually DO any more than an ipod touch does, yet.

It can take much more space. I am not sure what this can do better than any device we already have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    I also have an Acer Aspire One, first thing I did was replace XP with Windows 7. Itunes can be a pain to use sometimes but for everything else including Office 2007, it works fine.

I would upgrade the RAM in mine, but the Holy Grail is more accessible.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Are you really that attached to your keyboard that you can't imagine using an on-screen keyboard?

I tend to make a lotta typos on my ipod touch keyboard. Its fine for typing a web address or a short post on here but I couldn't imagine typing long uni essays or stuff on one of those keyboards. I need a proper laptop one for those.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It can take much more space. I am not sure what this can do better than any device we already have.

The iPad is available in a version which has 3G mobile-phone support for internet access (so you are no longer dependent on a Wi-Fi hotspot). That is the main advantage of it imo. Of course the iTouch can already do the same from 3G with something like the MiFi, and it is a lot easier to carry an iTouch and MiFi around than one of these new iPads.

Basically the iPad is too damn big. If it had a 6" screen instead of a nearly 10" screen, it could fit into a jacket or trouser pocket making it a nice intermediate size between an iTouch (which can fit into a shirt pocket) and a netbook (which has to be carried in a seperate carry case just like the iPad).

A larger screen, higher spec iTouch with a 6" screen would definitely interest me. This 10" iPad seems like it misses every potential market. Too big for an easily portable device. Too limited in functionality for a carryable device. I think Apple may have made a serious blunder with the iPad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched half of the ad on apple.com. I had to stop because it was like a Scientology promotional video.

The iPad - what's the point! It's just showoffware. Boring.