Tesco Selling Wine at £1.11 A Bottle

JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1293235/Tesco-1-11-wine-bottle-sparks-outrage.html

I think I'll be stopping off on the way home tonight to check if there is any in my local Tesco :D

Wine makes me very drunk and makes me teeth itch but hey ho a bargain is a bargain!!

Plus Tesco owe me one for stopping the 3 packs of beers for £20 when England got knocked out of the WC. :)

Comments

• stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I may have to pop to Tesco today. Stock up. And 13 percent too.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bulgarian. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, even for £1.11.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Sorry wrote: »

Oooh you little wine snob you :D

To be honest I'm a strictly lager girl and whilst I know my beers I wouldn't know where to start with wine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I am glad that the price of bottled water has come down too.
  • miss_minervoismiss_minervois Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry wrote: »

Nor would I, Sorry. But maybe for a different reason. Although I live in, and sometimes work in the largest wine producing areas of France; I like to drink wine from all over. But at £1.11 a bottle, what has the UK govt levied in tax ? So how much have Tesco paid the grower/winemaker.

Enjoy your cheap wine now, the producer will probably be out of business this time next year. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see any in our Tesco's on Wednesday. Shame because I would have bought a few bottles for cooking as I don't drink. Wine has become hideously expensive over the last year or so and the 'special offers' are usually a joke.
  • guest5234guest5234 Posts: 1,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible stuff, only South African wines or USA for me, Bulgarian and French wines taste ******

p.s I like Italian whites.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its just some end of line stuff being knocked out cheap in a few of their stores.
    I'm getting pretty ticked off with the anti-booze lobby though - the message seems to be 'only the well-off can be trusted with alcohol, the poor must be restricted':(
    We have tough laws on underage drinking, if we actually enforced them consistantly we'd see a lot fewer problems.
  • darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The price of ham has gone up in tescos :mad:
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, the 2009 Château Lafite Rothschild should be ready in a few years. That'll be better than Tesco's Bulgarian red.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    Perhaps I should buy some to clean my paint brushes, its cheaper than White Spirits and probably tastes the same. :D
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Stick with good old British ale. Goes with anything.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Chardonny and never pay less than £5 for a bottle of Supermarket wine!!

£1.11? (or less than £3 normally) - it must taste like shit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like Chardonny and never pay less than £5 for a bottle of Supermarket wine!!

£1.11? (or less than £3 normally) - it must taste like shit!

I think you should lead a taste test:D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Absolutely disgusting behaviour! Tesco should be ashamed at itself encouraging wine binging at that price.

If it was me, I would sell alcohol at £150. That would price most bingers out of the market.
  • ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely disgusting behaviour! Tesco should be ashamed at itself encouraging wine binging at that price.

If it was me, I would sell alcohol at £150. That would price most bingers out of the market.

£150 eh, thats very specific. Get this man to the PM!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that would price almost everyone out of the market. As alcohol isn't illegal, your plan seems to just allow the very rich to drink?
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem remarkably cheap. Tesco lists it online at £17.04 per case, which is equivalent to £2.84 per bottle. It is said to have, "Pure, harmonious flavours, a delicate aroma of citrus and peach notes. Elegant body with a dry, long pleasant aftertaste." I must rush out and buy some.

http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?N=8129&id=262277357

I haven't drunk any Bulgarian wine for a very long time, but some of the reds used to have a good reputation.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Indeed! Leave us richies to binge in peace! :D
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even afford that at the min. :(
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll drink any old sh1te so I might stock up on that...not that I have a £1 to my name at the minute.
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't need any de-icer yet thanks.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to Tesco soon but bet they don't have any.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's pretty irresponsible of them to be selling alcohol at such a low price.
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    It does seem remarkably cheap. Tesco lists it online at £17.04 per case, which is equivalent to £2.84 per bottle. It is said to have, "Pure, harmonious flavours, a delicate aroma of citrus and peach notes. Elegant body with a dry, long pleasant aftertaste." I must rush out and buy some.

http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/details/default.aspx?N=8129&id=262277357

I haven't drunk any Bulgarian wine for a very long time, but some of the reds used to have a good reputation.

Ah well, that was before the collapse of communism of course...it's all gone downhill since then.:D