The new Ipad. Not selling like hot cakes!!

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I've still got a 32GB iPad 1. It's used all the time but I doubt I'll upgrade until it dies. Works great at the moment though.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Whatever way you spin it apple will lose market dominance. Its already happening.

Does that make android better or worse? No. Neither. It just means people have choice and can choose what's right for them.

Me? I went for the transformer for:
    1) form factor
    2) battery life
    3) aspect ratio
    4) richer os (not better... just richer)
    5) dev support
    6) flash (still very much alive .... for now....)

But these were MY reasons and will differ from yours.

If you prefer the iPad and it suits your needs better then great. But if you think anyone can decide which is BEST then you are deluded!

Ask someone what is the best car? Or dog? Its what suits you best.

What I think is just plain silly is when people buy into a BRAND and then assume its the best. I bet you don't do that for a new TV or washing machine .....

iPads are outselling PCs whilst other tablets are selling in small numbers so yes you can look it at as falling market share. Are people happy with the Galaxy tab or Blackberry Playbook? How high are satisfaction levels?

And as Apples sales are increasing I doubt Apple care.
  • PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it will lose that much market dominance - here's the article from the other thread about why its likely it'll pan out more like the iPod than the iPhone:

article link
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Market share IS important. Part of the big appeal right now, and mentioned in nearly every review, is the wealth of apps available on the ipad vs Android tabs. That is nearly exclusively driven by market share. And as many of you are keen to point out, its the ecosystem you buy into, not how many tablets have been sold. If/when Android (or Windows) build up enough momentum for developers to go to them first rather than Apple, the ipad will become a significantly less attractive proposition.

(Personally I still don't really agree with the 'app' infrastructure for a lot of things. Do it all in a browser so it works with Apple, Samsung, Playbooks, Windows, etc)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vrooom wrote: »
    Yup - not really worth the upgrade, but here's a video review I did on my YouTube channel for those who might be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FuoF-Oa5Y

It looked nice until that old tired iOS booted up :eek: When somebody finds out how to put Windows 8 on it I might be tempted :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yeah, but that's just one analysts opinion. There are plenty of articles that say the opposite. Only its Saturday night, I'm about to get ready and I CBA to find any right now ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://gizmodo.com/5894094/we-people-an-ipad-2-told-them-it-was-the-new-ipad-and-they-loved-it

a testament to the ipad 2's quality, or showing the placebo effect of having something 'new' and shiny? :)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the iPad one which is supposedly top notch,
    350% less likely to break than the iPad 2 according to insurance floggers squaretrade.

If it is caused by thinness, some newer Android devices are no doubt even more fragile.

Back of the subject, I imagine a fair majority of users are like psionic and do not need to upgrade.
    Who upgrades their laptop just because a newer version is released?
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Also worth noting the iPod touch, the iPhone, and the iPad are all gateway devices each to a different buyer demographic and Mac sales and even AppleTV are getting sales due to those gateway devices and a customer desire to finally start treating IT devices like domestic appliances.

They are getting savvy on upgrading, skipping generations or in 24 month contracts. Certainly some sections of the buyers the more elderly ones are buying iPads from a market of ONE, they don't even know other tablets exist and if they do probably still call them iPads just not Apple iPads.

The stats in 4 months will make interesting reading, I think they will sell.
    iPad1'ers (like me) will upgrade, and the 1's will be passed on to family members or sold at very affordable prices, again acting as gateway devices. Parents will ask grown children how do they find their 1's or 2's and probably buy themselves a 3. The 3's will sell and Macs will follow for some, even if only for the integration, something that is hard to garner from a more open market with fracturing.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Apple the only company in history that doesn't have to bother paying for advertising?

I'm only asking, because all they have to do is launch a new product prefixed with the letter 'i' & the world's media organisations are jumping over each other to tell us all about it.:eek:

I bet the suits at Samsung, LG, Motorola & others would love the kind of free advertising that Apple gets?

I know Apple make great products, but what is it about them that the every media outlet loves so much?:confused:
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Nansbread wrote: »
    Did not bother queuing on Friday. Called into Apple Store in Bath in the evening. He said..yes we have plenty left. I asked if there was a queue in the morning and he said...yeah a bit. Will there be any to buy tomorrow? He smiled and winked...yes there are loads...we are not selling it as fast as we thought he replied.

So i go today at 8:00 am (special early opening on Saturday day 2). No queue at all. I was the only person there buying one.

:o:eek:

Seeing as a new one comes out every year and they have already sound loads of them I expect sales will tail off now and again until a big new feature pops up.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPads are outselling PCs whilst other tablets are selling in small numbers so yes you can look it at as falling market share. Are people happy with the Galaxy tab or Blackberry Playbook? How high are satisfaction levels?

Really, are you sure that iPad's are outselling PCs ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple better enjoy being the tablet market leader while they can, because I see the same scenario of Android superseding them repeating itself in this sector....and I would say that it will be happening pretty soon....and trying to sue their way out won't help. :)
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Apple better enjoy being the tablet market leader while they can, because I see the same scenario of Android superseding them repeating itself in this sector....and I would say that it will be happening pretty soon....and trying to sue their way out won't help. :)

I love Android as a system compared to Apple, and specifically the tie down to Itunes.I don't see an Ipaad as getting anywhere close to a Galaxy Tab 10.1

However, I have waited two years for an Android tablet with the hardware and App support of an Ipad, and am close to falling into the Ipad (2) club. I need to be able to do quick presentations - Ipad has keynote and a VGA out cable; also, there are many, many more games on Ipad.

I cannot, at the current rate, see Android superceding Apple at any point soon in the Tablet market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/16/ipad-launch-day-where-are-all-the-sell-outs/

The good news is that it will reach other markets much faster.
    I'm left wondering what will happen to those pre-order delays with Apple selling out, but with an unknown quantity.

I guess being 'off the charts' might mean they lost count.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigpod wrote: »
    Er, thats a NO then.

It's the facts Ipads have sold more than any PC manufacturers put together.

Stop debating the FACTS. Ipad sells more than any other tablet or PC.

Apple haters here have obviously never tried an Ipad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    http://www.bgr.com/2012/03/16/ipad-launch-day-where-are-all-the-sell-outs/

The good news is that it will reach other markets much faster.
    I'm left wondering what will happen to those pre-order delays with Apple selling out, but with an unknown quantity.

I guess being 'off the charts' might mean they lost count.

That will please people until they see the sales figures are high and they realise the higher stock levels has prevented sell outs. Ipad 2 was easily available anywhere about two months after launch and it sold extremely well over the year. The demand was incredible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member

iPads sold faster than any DESKTOP PC - that's still quite an achievement, but nowhere near outselling laptops
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigpod wrote: »
    I love Android as a system compared to Apple, and specifically the tie down to Itunes.I don't see an Ipaad as getting anywhere close to a Galaxy Tab 10.1

However, I have waited two years for an Android tablet with the hardware and App support of an Ipad, and am close to falling into the Ipad (2) club. I need to be able to do quick presentations - Ipad has keynote and a VGA out cable; also, there are many, many more games on Ipad.

I cannot, at the current rate, see Android superceding Apple at any point soon in the Tablet market.

That's just it.....rewind back to 2008 when Android was a clunky mess with no stand out hardware and Apple had 90% of the smartphone market.....would you have said then that Android would be where it is today?

All it takes it one 'it' device and the right marketing and Android will be flying tablet wise....the Xoom and Galaxy Tab were great products, but they were not the Droid/Galaxy S of the tablet market....

I have a feeling that after the Nexus Tablet surfaces, there will be heavy competition and investment from OEMs to step up their game....I found this new iPad launch to be underwhelming....despite a better screen and a slightly better camera, they've added nothing of interest to the device....we'll see as time goes on, but also with Windows 8 on the horizon, the tablet market WILL be changing dramatically either way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it weird that Barclays chose to launch its 'pass the cash' app on Android first.
    The iPad is very mass market so is certainly a better long term bet than the iPhone.

The IPad 2 price drop helps keep it that way. I see the iPad as more a games device competing with the xbox, vita and PS3.

The iPhone, well its just another phone,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coopy wrote: »
    iPads sold faster than any DESKTOP PC - that's still quite an achievement, but nowhere near outselling laptops

We're not talking laptops though. I bought a new Windows 7 desktop PC this year but clearly others are not buying them in the same numbers due to Ipad.

I prefer Netbooks to Laptops to be honest. I feel Laptops are a bit big in this day in age.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

Erm ..... I've tried an iPad ....

Didn't like 4:3
    Hate iTunes
    Needed removable storage and card slots
    Like Widgets
    Need flash

Really. I'm glad you have found a device that's perfect for you but an iPad doesn't meet my needs so please stop your silly generalizations.

The iPad is a nice bit of kit. I'd recommend it to my non-techie retired dad. Some of us just want something "more". It doesn't mean we are poor (far from it thanks) or obtuse ..... it just means we have different needs.

You really should be grateful anyway as if there was no competition then apple would not be driven to improve their product at all.

Imagine a world where you could only buy one make/model of car!!!
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I found it weird that Barclays chose to launch its 'pass the cash' app on Android first.
    The iPad is very mass market so is certainly a better long term bet than the iPhone.

The IPad 2 price drop helps keep it that way. I see the iPad as more a games device competing with the xbox, vita and PS3.

The iPhone, well its just another phone,

Not that weird. I work in IT in financial services as a consultant and most execs think that apple are the only tablet producers.

Bit sad really ......