2012 US Open Tennis 'Suicide' Game

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi All,

Mike Teevee mentioned in the Prediction Game about playing this game alongside the prediction game at the US Open. I didn't see a thread up and running, so thought I would start it up to see if anyone is interested...

THE GAME:

1. Each day of play, you must pick 1 winner playing a WTA main draw singles match. Of course, the player that you choose, is playing one match scheduled to be played that day (as seen on the order of play).

2. This is where the twist comes in. Once you pick someone, you cannot choose them again for the rest of the tournament. So, you don't want to waste a pick on Clijsters or Sharapova to win in early round matches.

3. You must choose one player to win each day. If you forget, are sick, or are unable to reach a computer, it will be treated as a wrong pick, and you will be out of the tournament. As well, your pick must be chosen before the first match has commenced, otherwise it will be considered a wrong pick, and thus you will again, be out of the tournament.

For Example:

On DAY 02 daniela86 chooses Paola Suarez. From that point on, daniela86 (assuming he qualifies) is unable to choose Paola Suarez again. It is especially significant when on the semifinal day, you are choosing who you believe will win in the semifinals, but also lose in the final.

4. Only in the case of a walkover, or a withdrawal, each player is allowed to have a back-up pick, selected at the same time as their initial pick. That back-up pick will only be used in the occurence of a walkover or withdrawal, as stated above. Retirements do count as completed matches.

Replacement picks must be identitified like this:

BACK-UP PICK - Daniela Hantuchova

If it is not clearly identitified, then both picks will be declared invalid.

I will put up an order of play for tomorrows matches (WTA and ATP) but can't commit to doing it everyday, so if you see the order of play has been announced but not put in this thread please copy and paste!

Every night I will collate the results for the day and then post in the thread who is still in the tournament, however as I work till quite late on some days, it might be that you have to put in for the next day before I get around to sorting the results out :o

Anyway, the matches scheduled for tomorrow are at this link:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html#

Remember to pick one WTA and one ATP player, and then one each as a back up...

My picks:

WTA: Marion Bartoli
Back Up: Laura Robson

ATP: Gilles Simon
Back Up: Mardy Fish

Please bear in mind this is the first time I have ever run a competiton so this could all go very wrong! :p

Comments

• Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if a game is postponed due to rain ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if a game is postponed due to rain ?

Still predict the next day and then if your pick from day 1 is knocked out then your second day is null and void and you exit the competition on day 1.
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds interesting, so much less effort than the other tennis comp as well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTA: Julia Goerges
    Back Up: Varvara Lepchenko

ATP: Florian Mayer
    Back Up: James Blake
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Two questions.

1. Might it not be easier and simpler to do picks by round rather than by day? Doing it by day might be confusing as sometimes rounds are stretched across many days so few matches might be played in a day due to weather delays, etc. Plus, what if one semifinal is played on one day then the other is delayed until the next? You'd be forced to pick both or select on days with fewer matches than normal.

2. Are the WTA and ATP selections for separate contests or are they played together as one contest? If they're together as one single contest, picking two per day, I can see most people being out of this contest rather quickly.
  • charlieparrcharlieparr Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My shots in the dark:

WTA: Safarova
    Back Up: Petrova

ATP: Chardy
    Back Up: Nishikori

Cheers for running this :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two questions.

1. Might it not be easier and simpler to do picks by round rather than by day? Doing it by day might be confusing as sometimes rounds are stretched across many days so few matches might be played in a day due to weather delays, etc. Plus, what if one semifinal is played on one day then the other is delayed until the next? You'd be forced to pick both or select on days with fewer matches than normal.

2. Are the WTA and ATP selections for separate contests or are they played together as one contest? If they're together as one single contest, picking two per day, I can see most people being out of this contest rather quickly.

1. If we were to do it this way then it would almost be to easy, there is 14 days of competition, only 7 rounds. Equally I know with the main tennis competition I always forget if I have predicted or not, and have in the past missed a whole section as a result. If you know that every day you have to predict it negates this problem.

2. I was planning on running the WTA and ATP seperately :)

Also, the idea of this game came from another forum- there thread is in this link:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=466850

I will be using that as a guide! And just to show how it should run, they run it year round and this is last weeks Texas Open to show how it progresses:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=466850
    Forum Member
    1. If we were to do it this way then it would almost be to easy, there is 14 days of competition, only 7 rounds.

What if there's a rain delay? Do the matches still count if they're held over until the next day?

Anyway here are my picks:

WTA: Petra Kvitova.
    Backup: Marion Bartoli

ATP: Marin Cilic
    Backup: Marcel Granollers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck OP and thank for running this and also keeping tabs on who picks who. Although I have a feeling you won't be keeping tabs on me too long, bound to pick a rogue sooner rather than later :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if there's a rain delay? Do the matches still count if they're held over until the next day?

I have already answered this.

If there is a rain delay, you predict for the next day as if you are still in the tournament. If it turns out your initial pick is knocked out then your day two picks are null and void and you exit the tournament on day one.
    Forum Member

If there is a rain delay, you predict for the next day as if you are still in the tournament. If it turns out your initial pick is knocked out then your day two picks are null and void and you exit the tournament on day one.

Cheers. I edited my previous post to include my picks.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    WTA: Petra Kvitova
    Back Up: Nadia Petrova

ATP: Kei Nishikori
    Back Up: Fernando Verdasco
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTA: M. Bartoli
    Back Up: F Schiavone

ATP: S Querrey
    Back Up: K Nishikori
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, I am signing off for the night, good to see the entries in so far.

Just so people are clear with deadlines: So long as the match that your chosen player is playing in has not started, you can predict up until such time. (i.e if you wanted Clijsters for round one, you could predict any time before 00.00). This game does therefore rely on honesty throughout as I am not going to check the start time for every match.

If your player is involved in a night match you may have to predict for the next day and we will follow the same procedure as with the rain delay scenario.
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTA: Yanina Wickmayer
    Back up: Nadia Pertova

ATP: Nikolay Davydenko
    Back up: Ivan Dodig
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    WTA: Wickmayer
    Back-up: Lisicki

ATP: Fish
    Back-up: Verdasco
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTA - Goerges
    Back up - Wickmayer

ATP - Verdasco
    Back-up - Istomin
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back Up: Lepchenko

ATP: Davydenko
    Back Up: Chardy
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTA: Safarova
    Back Up: Wozniak

ATP: Chardy
    Back Up: Nishikori
  • lilhunni_Jolilhunni_Jo Posts: 13,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back up: Safarova

ATP: Davydenko
    Back up: Verdasco
  • dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTA : Anna Tatishvili
    Back Up : Julia Goerges

ATP : Jeremy Chardy
    Back Up : Mardy Fish

If your back up player is not used can it be used for future rounds?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTA : Anna Tatishvili
    Back Up : Julia Goerges

ATP : Jeremy Chardy
    Back Up : Mardy Fish

If your back up player is not used can it be used for future rounds?

Yes :)
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Nadia Petrova
    Back up- Yania Wickmayer

Mardy Fish
    Back up- Marcel Granollers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WTA: Kim Clijsters
    Back up: Julia Goerges