KitKat for Nexus 7 and 10 today!

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heckbulb wrote: »
    Aghh this is driving me insane. I hate waiting!

Same. I wish now I hadn't read it had been released then it would just appear one day.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the 3G version so I'm going to have to wait a little longer.
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wait is annoying but I guess Google do it like this so their servers are not getting hammered by everyone trying to download it at the same time, as happens with the latest version of iOS.

If KitKat is anywhere near as buggy as iOS7 I think I'll be happy to give it a miss. ;)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone got it yet? Not got it on my N10 yet.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing here
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Day 4 and once again zero.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not got it yet on my nexus 10
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the update officially listed as coming "soon"? Don't get your hopes up and you'll be pleasantly surprised when it eventually does appear! :D
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Day 6 and still not here. Is it being released country by country? In that case i won't be surprised if we don't get it until the end of the month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a minor OTA bug fix KRT16S for Kit-Kat this morning. it was only 1.4mb and required a full reboot. Not noticed any issues with the original factory image of Kit-Kat so not sure what the fix resolved.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dreamypuma wrote: »
    Got a minor OTA bug fix KRT16S for Kit-Kat this morning. it was only 1.4mb and required a full reboot. Not noticed any issues with the original factory image of Kit-Kat so not sure what the fix resolved.
    Where are you located? Because it seems nobody else on here has received a legitimate OTA update yet.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    it seems nobody else on here has received a legitimate OTA update yet.
    FWIW there's some information here but I've no idea how accurate it is:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/19/nexus-7-nexus-4-android-4-4-kitkat-updates-closer-ever
    and here:
    http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/20844/20131119/nexus-7-android-4-4-kitkat-update-delay.htm
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I received that as well but, like you, Kit-Kat has been running perfectly for me.

Even though I usually stick to stock Android I always root my Nexus devices and use a custom recovery. I simply downloaded and flashed the Kit-Kat firmware directly. To be honest it isn't that different with the most obvious examples being some nice cosmetic changes which give Android an even more polished look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Where are you located? Because it seems nobody else on here has received a legitimate OTA update yet.

I'm from Leeds, but received the updates whilst on business in Birmingham.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    Yeah I received that as well but, like you, Kit-Kat has been running perfectly for me.

Even though I usually stick to stock Android I always root my Nexus devices and use a custom recovery. I simply downloaded and flashed the Kit-Kat firmware directly. To be honest it isn't that different with the most obvious examples being some nice cosmetic changes which give Android an even more polished look.

Have you installed the GEL APK? With Kitkat, I got all the GNEX 5 transparencies, status bar, Google Now Home screen and new larger icons. Feels so polished now.

I have KitKat on my GNEX4 too, so switched from Davlik to ART Runtime. It's a real performance enhancement, and things feel so much more "Buttery" with ART.

Had to switch back to Davlik as not all apps support ART yet.

The futures looking good for Android.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't ART a placebo atm?

Also ART runtime is like saying PIN number!
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google do seem to miss a bit of a trick with these updates. Apple know how to generate a buzz and excitement with their's. Because you don't know when the Google update will get round to you, I'm a bit "meh, I'll get it when I get it" about the whole thing. By the time I got 4.3 the buzz had disappeared!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't ART a placebo atm

I read the same ref ART, difficult to say conclusively without a comparable benchmarks.

Seen a few comparisons on YouTube, but most are questionable.

One of the better ones:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwi1u86AQ4o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you installed the GEL APK? With Kitkat, I got all the GNEX 5 transparencies, status bar, Google Now Home screen and new larger icons. Feels so polished now.

Thanks for reminding me, I haven't. Going to do that right away. Have you noticed any issues with it given that it isn't technically intended for the N7?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reminding me, I haven't. Going to do that right away. Have you noticed any issues with it given that it isn't technically intended for the N7?

The only thing that doesn't work is "OK Google"

I'm sure that's a US only feature anyway. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

In my opinion it is the icing in the cake. Makes the whole tablet feel polished and complete, without the use of Nova or Apex.

If you're not happy with it, you can uninstall it and revert to the normal launcher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doh!

Just got Ok Google to work too. Just change the default language to English US. Boom!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that doesn't work is "OK Google"

I'm sure that's a US only feature anyway. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

In my opinion it is the icing in the cake. Makes the whole tablet feel polished and complete, without the use of Nova or Apex.

If you're not happy with it, you can uninstall it and revert to the normal launcher.

I knew the trick about changing the default language to US English to get 'OK Google' to work and that's proving to be the real stand out feature of the GEL for me.

Not completely sold on the larger icons yet but I suspect I'll get used to them in time. Thanks for the heads up, compared to standard Kit-Kat on the Nexus 7, the launcher really does makes Android feel significantly different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew the trick about changing the default language to US English to get 'OK Google' to work and that's proving to be the real stand out feature of the GEL for me.

Not completely sold on the larger icons yet but I suspect I'll get used to them in time. Thanks for the heads up, compared to standard Kit-Kat on the Nexus 7, the launcher really does makes Android feel significantly different.

I think GEL makes the tablet / phone feel more user friendly by adding eye candy. For the less tech savvy this could be appealing (when compared to rival products)

Importantly at least it offers a choice. Shame it wasn't bundled with KitKat as standard.
  • DarreninessexDarreninessex Posts: 484
    Forum Member

How do I know if that small update ? The KRT number
  • DarreninessexDarreninessex Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I have a 2012 wi.fi version of the Nexus 7

No kitkat here..

Darren