Highly rated films you think are bad

Comments

• revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I don't think Jurassic Park is over-rated at all. Like others have already said; it's absolutely groundbreaking; and I remember going to see in the cinema all those years ago...brilliant.
    It's got some fantastic action sequences, terrific acting; wonderful characters. John Hammond is a really great character, and some of his scenes in particular are really enjoyable.

I remember seeing Jurassic Park at the cinema on it's release, no-one could believe what they were seeing, it was remarkable, no-one had seen anything like it before. For someone to say it's overrated is ludicrous! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliasjones wrote: »
    I've never seen the attraction of 'Citizen Kane', which was described as a "classic masterpiece".

Not fussed on any Woody Allen films either.

Other than that, I'm easily pleased :D

Philistine!;);):D - Kane is the masterpiece that the critics say it is.

I agree with the OP that Signs was dreadful. I liked Big Fish, V for Vendetta & The Assasination of Richard Nixon.
    The Bucket List was poor. No Country for Old Men was poor (I like all of the Coen Bros. films up to The Man Who Wasn't There). I didn't like Armageddon, which people seem to rave about. The Royal Tennenbaums was awful. Sixth Sense would have been merely OK if the twist hadn't been obvious about 5 minutes into the film. The only bit I like in Jurassic Park is the T-Rex scene (on the other hand, I thought Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World was fantastic from beginning to end - a far superior film) (*ducks*).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not say these films are bad, because they are not, but some of the films I have not really liked which have been highly praised include:

1. 2001: Space Odyssey
    2. Brokeback Mountain
    3. The Piano
    4. Crash
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I'm the same with Crash, The Piano and Brokeback Mountain.
  • Nadias_ballsNadias_balls Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, Crash it definately over-rated. I think a lot of people like the potential message of the film, but it's so simplistic and insistent in my opinion. I just think a lot of people think they should appreciate the film because of it's subject matter, and don't really focus in on it.

It's an okay film, with some pretty good performances, but I really don't think it deserves all the acclaim it received.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Have you watched it yet? You may enjoy it, there's plenty on the imdb forum who do, I just couldn't get into it, the second half of the film was ludicrous imo.

No it goes on the list of sucky films, what I really hated was that there were a few stories going on and none of them led to any spectacular conclusion. It played out to a dull ending, I have no idea how it got 7.6.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. Crash

Crash wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as good as its spiritual cousin Magnolia.

I'll also join in with the Matrix and anything by Tarantino.
  • SnuffSnuff Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boondock Saints

So highly praised by people online, I went out and wasted £6 on it in HMV.

Wish I'd bought £6 of chocolate raisins instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    I remember seeing Jurassic Park at the cinema on it's release, no-one could believe what they were seeing, it was remarkable, no-one had seen anything like it before. For someone to say it's overrated is ludicrous! :D

Completely agree and if i'm being honest i don't think the effects have been beaten yet. It's still a joy to watch it after all this time. Wonderful story, acting, characters and effects. 10 out of 10 from me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThinBoy wrote: »
    Philistine!;);):D - Kane is the masterpiece that the critics say it is.

I agree with the OP that Signs was dreadful. I liked Big Fish, V for Vendetta & The Assasination of Richard Nixon.
    The Bucket List was poor. No Country for Old Men was poor (I like all of the Coen Bros. films up to The Man Who Wasn't There). I didn't like Armageddon, which people seem to rave about. The Royal Tennenbaums was awful. Sixth Sense would have been merely OK if the twist hadn't been obvious about 5 minutes into the film. The only bit I like in Jurassic Park is the T-Rex scene (on the other hand, I thought Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World was fantastic from beginning to end - a far superior film) (*ducks*).

I'm speechless:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    Blade Runner is terrible imo
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    pharoah wrote: »
    I'm speechless:eek:

Me too! the Lost World is the worst of the three by far IMO.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,623
    Forum Member
    I'm with whoever said Tarantino is overrated.

Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs left me just feeling, 'Well so what?' and although Jackie Brown wasn't bad, it was return to form with the nonsense and bizarrely overhyped (and incredibly overlong) Kill Bill. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated Pulp Fiction. Most Tim Burton movies bore me to tears (esp, the Nightmare before Xmas)

Also hated Barton Fink

Annie Hall, walked out halfway through.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Harry Potter films
    Lord Of The Rings films
    Titanic
    All Rambo films
    My Left Foot
    The Queen
    ET
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Brokeback Mountain

Castaway

Million Dollar Baby

Monsters Ball
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I can't say I find these acclaimed movies bad,just overrated to be honest:-

Lost In Translation
    Lock Stock...
    Silence Of The Lambs (Manhunter was a better movie)
    Monty Python Movies (I don't find them anywhere near as funny as many others do)
    Terminator 2 (Apart from the SFX it's nowhere near as good as the original)
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am "Ruddigers" wife and I think the film Memento is crap.
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ruddiger wrote: »
    I am "Ruddigers" wife and I think the film Momento is crap.

I disagree, i think it's great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    jamespondo wrote: »
    I can't say I find these acclaimed movies bad,just overrated to be honest:-

Lost In Translation
    Lock Stock...
    Silence Of The Lambs (Manhunter was a better movie)
    Monty Python Movies (I don't find them anywhere near as funny as many others do)
    Terminator 2 (Apart from the SFX it's nowhere near as good as the original)

LiT was excellent, really engaged me
    Lock Stock - was perhaps the best british crime film since The Italian Job
    Holy Grail - definitely bears re-watching - some parts are excellent (particularly liked the naughty girls who left the grail light on...)
    T2 - again, I agree that it was less gritty than the original but for big-budget sfx, it was effective

on earleir ones

2001 - confusing but brilliant at the time
    Blade Runner - again sci-fi done seriously, not just as a sfx vehicle
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbrown wrote: »
    Casablanca - I get to the end and think "so what?"

I held a similar view on first viewing.

It's a definite grower though.

Mind you most Oscar winners are way overrated.

Films you're supposed to like as opposed to films you actually like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Lord of the rings. :eek:

At least it is much better than Harry Potter series. Isn't it?
  • KP73KP73 Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Independence Day - yes the special effects were great, but all that USA will save the world crap while the rest of the world waits for direction and thought really grated on me.

Twister - again great special effects, but the acting and the plot were ridiculous.

Lost in Translation - the first film to be shown when Film4 became free to view on Freeview. I was really looking forward to this as the film had received positive comments from the critics, but it was just boring.

Jurassic Park - yeah the dinosaurs were great, but as an action blockbuster, I was bored. It was obvious where the story was going and no matter how good special effects are, they cannot make up for a boring plot. As a result, I have never watched Jurassic Park 2 or 3.
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - Sent me to sleep at the cinema. gave it a second try on dvd and gave up after half an hour. Possibly the most boring film I have ever seen and yet others rave about it.
  • flatboatflatboat Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Of the classics, the one that leaves me cold has got to be Some Like it Hot, I chuckled a couple of times but that's about it. Of recent films, Brokeback Mountain and There Will be Blood both didn't do much for me. BM just seemed like a quite average romance and I never really cared about the characters. I was surprised not to enjoy TWBB because I'm a huge fan of the Coen's, or at least of their earlier output