Options

Should people like Sir Malcolm Rifkind lose their knighthoods?

Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
Forum Member
✭✭
After they have been found out doing wrong?

To the thread question. 52 votes

Yes
63% 33 votes
No
36% 19 votes

Comments

• Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an Honours Forfeiture Committee already set up to deal with exactly that issue.

Were you aware of that?
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    There is an Honours Forfeiture Committee already set up to deal with exactly that issue.

Honours in general or Rifkind in particular?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    Honours in general or Rifkind in particular?

You think there is a Committee set up to deal with Rifkind in particular?
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

Well in theory there could be, if the House of Commons wanted there to be...

As to the question, no not really, unless it's found he did something illegal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Well in theory there could be, if the House of Commons wanted there to be...

As to the question, no not really, unless it's found he did something illegal.

:D

AFAICR the Prog was only 2-3 days ago. Just how fast do you think the Commons moves?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

The committee have already doctored the name on their office door as it was relatively easy to change to Rifkind from Rolf.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    If he's done something seriously wrong then yes, but a minor infringement of the rules probably doesn't warrant it. Getting rid of the entire honours system would be an improvement, but that's a different issue.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that there are no more poverty-stricken children or wartorn refugees in the world then yeah, this is a useful way to spend our time and effort.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should he lose his knighthood - he hasn't done anything wrong :D
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Should people like Sir Malcolm Rifkind lose their knighthoods?

To be fair, both Straw and Rifkind were rumbled before they could anything really corrupt so I said no. Their reputations and careers now lie in tatters because of their own gr££d and avarice and neither of them's getting into the House of Lords now and all that in itself is quite good punishment.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    Don't care much either way. TBH the whole honours system should be scrapped.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Now that there are no more poverty-stricken children or wartorn refugees in the world then yeah, this is a useful way to spend our time and effort.

Are we only allowed to spend our time on those two groups until the problems of poverty and war have been resolved globally once and for all then.

Bit limiting tbh
  • Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rifkinds admission to having not a lot to do except going for walks and reading, makes politicians like him, prime candidates for zero hours contracts.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as Jeffrey Archer kept his peerage after a spell inside, I doubt either of these two has much to worry about.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Are we only allowed to spend our time on those two groups until the problems of poverty and war have been resolved globally once and for all then.

Bit limiting tbh

I just wonder what starving kids or soldiers horribly maimed in war think of the general public being so pissed off about something so unimportant as this crap about Jack Straw or Malcolm Rifkind.
  • Options
    Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To those who voted no... lol at you...
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    As far as im aware this was a sting, a set up where the objective was to encourage them to do wrong so that it would generate a news story.
    in my opinion these set ups dont deserve the attention they get.

If they had been found out as a result of an investigation that wasnt a trap then fair enough
  • Options
    omipaloneomipalone Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    After they have been found out doing wrong?

Considering that he chaired a very important and secretive part of the State then I have no problem seeing him going.

If the sting had not been done by C4 and the Telegraph but by someone like Putin and his ilk, who could use the threat of public disclosure as blackmail, then I can easily see that Rifkind is a security threat and he should have resigned immediately the story was revealed to him.

As for the sting itself being an Agent Provocateur, don't have a problem with that as the establishment has often used these approaches themselves. Live by the sword and all that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just wonder what starving kids or soldiers horribly maimed in war think of the general public being so pissed off about something so unimportant as this crap about Jack Straw or Malcolm Rifkind.

Do you really? Well I don't suppose the kids give a monkeys as they are a)kids and b)starving. Maimed soldiers are slightly different and I expect they will hold a variety of views as do the rest of the population, given that they are people who aren't solely defined by their maimed bodies.

Or are you just attempting (unconvincingly) to imply you have a superior insight into what is important by trying to imply that this is too trivial to waste time on when we could all be out there doing good works? In which case, D- must try harder.

Personally I don't consider the question of whether our elected representatives are prepared to sell us out by flogging that representation off to the highest bidder for a fast buck unimportant. But y'know I'm not maimed or starving (not even peckish) so what would I know.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    As far as im aware this was a sting, a set up where the objective was to encourage them to do wrong so that it would generate a news story.

If they had been found out as a result of an investigation that wasnt a trap then fair enough(/B

I agree with this, he and Straw were tricked into saying what they said, no one knows whether this is really what they think or what they would say, it could just be a case of them making themselves look more important than they are.

As far as I'm concerned these "stings" should be against the law, they have ruined too many "good" peoples careers over the years

I'm not sure what you mean by "people like Sir Malcolm Rifkind" but no I don't think he should lose his knighthood over this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »

If they had been found out as a result of an investigation that wasnt a trap then fair enough[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, he and Straw were tricked into saying what they said, no one knows whether this is really what they think or what they would say, it could just be a case of them making themselves look more important than they are.

As far as I'm concerned these "stings" should be against the law, they have ruined too many "good" peoples careers over the years

The problem is of course that either one of them had the option to do the right thing and to say, no sorry the access and influence I have isn't for sale. Instead they both named their price.

It doesn't really matter that the offer was actually fake as there's no real reason to imagine that if the offer of money for influence was for real that they wouldn't have struck a deal and taken that money. Which is after all what they were filmed trying to do.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »

The problem is of course that either one of them had the option to do the right thing and to say, no sorry the access and influence I have isn't for sale. Instead they both named their price.

It doesn't really matter that the offer was actually fake as there's no real reason to imagine that if the offer of money for influence was for real that they wouldn't have struck a deal and taken that money. Which is after all what they were filmed trying to do.

And there's no reason too believe they would have struck a deal and taken the money, AS I said it could have been all talk and no action, which is what you usually expect from politicians ;-)

BTW I wonder if they had done the right thing and said no would we be discussing it now.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Tbh, I think there's a far greater case for removing the honours from Rolf Harris:

Australia strips Rolf Harris of honours
    Rolf Harris has been stripped of his Australian honours after his conviction last year for child sex offences. A brief statement said that the disgraced entertainer's appointments as Officer and Member of the Order of Australia had been terminated by Governor General Peter Cosgrove. Harris, 84, was jailed in July 2014 for nearly six years for 12 indecent assaults against four girls.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-31581719
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say no on the basis that as things stand there's no evidence to suggest he or Straw have actually done anything wrong.
    I don't recognise the judgement passed down by the green eyed court of public opinion who have taken it upon themselves to decree that both should be content with their lot simply because their parliamentary salaries are more than theirs are.