Why do we only see the same type of games advertised on UK tv ?

SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Every time i see an ad for a game on tv it is always the same type of games........shooters and/or gory games. Why don't we ever see different types of games advertised? We get the odd racing game advertised but it's usually only Forza. Why don't we ever see platformers or JRPG's advertised ? It's like if a game doesn't have blood, guts or guns then you won't see an ad for it on tv.

I remember seeing an ad for Splatoon a while back, but i only seen it once or twice. I have seen games like Destiny, COD, Battlefront and GTA get advertised many times throughout the day at times.

In the old days, all kinds of games were getting advertised, you don't see that anymore.

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I guess its all got to do with budgets and stuff.

The bigger developers / publishers have more cash to be able to throw at big advertising campaigns, like EA or Activision. With smaller companies I imagine most of their budgets go into the game itself and cant afford too much advertising.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the advert I see on TV are for Mobile games.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Going out on a limb here, what JRPG's can they advertise?
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Going out on a limb here, what JRPG's can they advertise?

Plenty, Tales of Zestiria is a great game, but there was no tv ad for it.

It's not just in the last year though, in the last generation the only JRPG's i seen advertised were Final Fantasy games.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know this is down to the publishers and the marketing depts behind each game, yeah? Games won't get advertised if the money isn't there for TV advertising to begin with. Advertising isn't free and can be a big financial risk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Plenty, Tales of Zestiria is a great game, but there was no tv ad for it.

It's not just in the last year though, in the last generation the only JRPG's i seen advertised were Final Fantasy games.

They didn't advertise Tales of on TV and yet you still think that it's a great game, I think that goes a long way to answering your question

Plus less and less people are consuming TV on a TV they are watching stuff online, as and people migrate online it makes less sense for more niche games to waste the money on TV when they can just do a few let's plays on Youtube or something else
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    They didn't advertise Tales of on TV and yet you still think that it's a great game, I think that goes a long way to answering your question

Not really, being a big gamer and a fan of JRPG's since i was a kid, i'm obviously going to stumble across this game. But casual's and fans of different type of games may never hear about it.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I see a game ad it's always paired with a console, do the publishers and Sony/MS pay up?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever I see a game ad it's always paired with a console, do the publishers and Sony/MS pay up?

They'll have been subsidised (or completely covered) by one of the platforms, yeah. In those cases it'll be driven by games which Sony/Microsoft think will shift units, not whether the game is any good or not as the OP seems to think it should be.
  • Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Dragon quest IX got a lot of marketing around release. I remember it becuz it was so unusual for a JRPG.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's more of a cross promotional thing as a deal has been done to include the game in a hardware bundle. It's a win, win for the software publisher and Sony/MS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    because it is what sells the most, there is no point in advertising indie games
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tayorous wrote: »
    because it is what sells the most, there is no point in advertising indie games

Indie games aren't the type of games i am talking about though.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Indie games aren't the type of games i am talking about though.
    But the type of games you're talking about are unlikely to shift a million units in a couple of weeks or less so forking out for a TV advert to advertise a game which is (most likey) not going to be mainstream could also been as a failure when several months after launch and a release across multiple platforms globally sees its install base not reaching a million sales any time soon.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animal Crossing was advertised a lot 2 years ago for release that was a nice change, but generally you're correct.