Charlie Brooker turned down Dr.Who

kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,004
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phew. For a moment I thought he'd turned down the actual part.
  • Nelson_De_SouzaNelson_De_Souza Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank god for that. One of the smuggest men around in TV if you ask me. A bullet well dodged by the show...
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank god for that. One of the smuggest men around in TV if you ask me. A bullet well dodged by the show...

I have to agree. If there's anyone I can't stand it's Brooker. Worse than Fry, even....
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would of loved to of seen a episode written by Charlie Brooker, such a shame it won't happen.... He is a very interesting writer, and his Black Mirror series is really taking off now its on Netflix...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    I would of loved to of seen a episode written by Charlie Brooker, such a shame it won't happen.... He is a very interesting writer, and his Black Mirror series is really taking off now its on Netflix...

Have.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. But I'm weird in valuing a potentially interesting story over personal opinion of the man behind the pen.

Though I'll never be able to see a lighthearted Gareth Roberts romp in quite the same light.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Agreed. But I'm weird in valuing a potentially interesting story over personal opinion of the man behind the pen.

Was there any need for a comment like that? :confused: Bit on the rude side, don't you think?

I don't like Charlie Brooker. He may well write a good episode if he does write one for the show in the future, but I don't like him as a man, so therefore I don't want him near the show I like.

There are some people you like and others you don't - that's life to me. Those I don't like are ones I don't like being near things I do like. Quite simple really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have.

Of I said have instead of saying of, oh dear, I of to be sorry for making such a mistake, you are quite right... Of I been forgiven miss....

Ofing Charlie Brooker to do an episode would of been quite the coop, of you seen his Black Mirror series which is excellent, Of you seen the reaction to it, he's is getting a big name for himself not just here but over in America too, which isn't easy... DW struggled to do that and took many years.. Plus of you seen the kind of concepts they of in Black Mirror, I would of killed to of had stuff like that done in the previous DW series or of it in future ones...

(of)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there any need for a comment like that?

Sorry. It's the truth. That's what I value.

Don't take offence to anything I have to say. I heavily moderated myself on here for five years and found it much easier to not really care instead of joining the ranks of those who chose to avoid this board permanently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there any need for a comment like that? :confused: Bit on the rude side, don't you think?

I don't like Charlie Brooker. He may well write a good episode if he does write one for the show in the future, but I don't like him as a man, so therefore I don't want him near the show I like.

There are some people you like and others you don't - that's life to me. Those I don't like are ones I don't like being near things I do like. Quite simple really.

Yes.
    Of I said have instead of saying of, oh dear, I of to be sorry for making such a mistake, you are quite right... Of I been forgiven miss....

Ofing Charlie Brooker to do an episode would of been quite the coop, of you seen his Black Mirror series which is excellent, Of you seen the reaction to it, he's is getting a big name for himself not just here but over in America too, which isn't easy... DW struggled to do that and took many years.. Plus of you seen the kind of concepts they of in Black Mirror, I would of killed to of had stuff like that done in the previous DW series or of it in future ones...

(of)

Good for him. I still loathe him, though.

Sorry about the grammar police stuff. I should restrain myself, but I just don't know how people can not know it's have not of when of doesn't make sense in that context.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everything Charlie Brooker writes for telly has been critically acclaimed, he may be smug, but he's a smug **** that is talented :p
  • Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank goodness. I haven't enjoyed anything he's done
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Good for him. I still loathe him, though.

Sorry about the grammar police stuff. I should restrain myself, but I just don't know how people can not know it's have not of when of doesn't make sense in that context.

That's quite alright :) I don't take no offence, just messing around... I don't have the greatest grammar when I'm thinking/typing fast, which tends to be the case when I'm on here..... Plus I'm not the smartest tool in the box anyway :p

We will have to agree to disagree on Charlie Brooker, I find him very entertaining and his stories interesting....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry. It's the truth. That's what I value.

Don't take offence to anything I have to say. I heavily moderated myself on here for five years and found it much easier to not really care instead of joining the ranks of those who chose to avoid this board permanently.

You say don't take offence but making comments like you did is hardly the nicest. It comes across as your superior to me because I have a pre existing opinion of the guy in question.

Really not very nice CD93
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a very nice person.

Though I try to restrain from telling people to shove their noses up the Doctor Who showrunner's bottom or kill themselves for liking Series 7 or anything like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a very nice person.

Though I try to restrain from telling people to shove their noses up the Doctor Who showrunner's bottom or kill themselves for liking Series 7 or anything like that.

I'm sure you are.... don't give much thought about other people over-reacting...
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Man, those episodes are dark, dark, dark. I am not sure that his style of writing would work for a show geared towards a younger audience.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

In all probability there are probably loads of people that you personally wouldn't like that have written, created, or produced entertainment that you have, are, or will enjoy in future.
  • BejBej Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Man, those episodes are dark, dark, dark. I am not sure that his style of writing would work for a show geared towards a younger audience.

Most of his Black Mirror episodes have been dark, but not all of them (e.g. "San Junipero" in the latest series). In any case, I'm sure he could write a lighter episode for Doctor Who, but I suspect he is very busy with Black Mirror at the moment, and that may continue for some time due to its success.

Don't understand why some people are against him writing an episode just because they don't like. All I am bothered about when watching Doctor Who is whether or not I enjoy the episode. I do not give a monkeys about whether I like the writer of the episode personally, because even If I really liked a writer personally a stinker of an episode still stinks (and vice versa). Charlie Brooker is an acclaimed scriptwriter, and i would love to watch a Doctor Who episode written by him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all probability there are probably loads of people that you personally wouldn't like that have written, created, or produced entertainment that you have, are, or will enjoy in future.

In regards to Doctor Who though, Brooker is only one of two names I wouldn't want to write for the show. The other being Steve Coogan who has the same issues as Charlie if you ask me.

I don't like Mark Gatiss as a writer but he seems a nice enough guy and obviously his connection with Moffat means he will keep on writing for the show.

I would like the likes of the Williams Brothers, Jed Mercurio or Sally Wainwright for the show. I like them all as people and greatly admire them as writers.

It's just those two listed at the beginning I don't like, that's all.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bej wrote: »
    Most of his Black Mirror episodes have been dark, but not all of them (e.g. "San Junipero" in the latest series). In any case, I'm sure he could write a lighter episode for Doctor Who, but I suspect he is very busy with Black Mirror at the moment, and that may continue for some time due to its success.

Don't understand why some people are against him writing an episode just because they don't like. All I am bothered about when watching Doctor Who is whether or not I enjoy the episode. I do not give a monkeys about whether I like the writer of the episode personally, because even If I really liked a writer personally a stinker of an episode still stinks (and vice versa). Charlie Brooker is an acclaimed scriptwriter, and i would love to watch a Doctor Who episode written by him.

Oh, I haven't seen the current series. I probably do need to watch them. :)

My favorite is the episode 16,000,000 credits (or something like that) where the guy is trying to kill himself on TV. That one is sublime.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have any of the people who claim not to like Charlie Brooker actually met the guy? If not they cannot judge whether they like him.

In Screenwipe especially he is playing a part but one of the reasons he quit his television reviewing column was that he met some of the people he was lambasting, found out he actually liked them and couldn't find it in himself to continue slagging them off.

In essence Brooker's earlier work, whilst sometimes funny, was just like some of the comments in this thread - judging people without meeting them and basing their personality on the image portrayed in public.

As for him writing for Doctor Who - he would have to lighten up a touch from the excellent Black Mirror shows as that style wouldn't suit the show. It would be interesting to see if he could.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Oh, I haven't seen the current series. I probably do need to watch them. :)

My favorite is the episode 16,000,000 credits (or something like that) where the guy is trying to kill himself on TV. That one is sublime.

Absolutely fantastic story, that. Bing's speech remains scarily accurate - perhaps even moreso five years on. Bonus marks for anyone who can't stand The X Factor.
    Show us something real and free and beautiful, you couldn’t. It’d break us, we’re too numb for it, our minds would choke. There’s only so much wonder we can bear, that’s why when you find any wonder whatsoever you dole it out in meager portions, and only then til it’s augmented and packaged and pumped through ten thousand pre-assigned filters, til it’s nothing more than a meaningless series of lights..
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

Both cannot and can not are acceptable spellings, but the first is much more usual. :p:p:p

I think we should leave the grammar police uniform off in future, the only police uniform that is acceptable is Amy Pond's.

As for Brooker, I think he would be perfect for Torchwood but maybe a bit heavy for Who.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I would only support this if the Doctor ended up with Philomena Cunk as his companion for that episode.