Strange jumping on DVD on 1080P display

fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Cambridge Audio DVD player and a Samsung 1080P TV connected via Scart.

Last night I watched Transformers on DVD (R1) and the picture seemed to be jumping as the display panned across. If you watched the central subject it was unoticeable, but if you looked at the background it was almost like it was panning across in small, just noticeable half-second steps - any ideas what the cause might be?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DVD player doesn't have component?

Panning judder is not unknown when watching NTSC material (or even 24fps content) on a UK spec display. Are you providing the Sammy with pure NTSC or converting to PAL60 or something else in the DVD then sending that to the display?
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DVD does have (progressive) component output - apart form the juddering will I see a better picture than I would with a good quaility Scart?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    You might, try it and see.
  • comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chances are the player is converting NTSC at 30 fps into PAL at 25 fps. The easiest and cheapest way to do this is simply to discard every 6th frame - hence causing the judder that is particularly noticeable on medium speed long panning shots.

Chances are that the player will be able to be set to output NTSC (see settings menu/instruction book) and the TV will probably be able to accept this signal anyway and hence solve your problem. You should however set it back to PAL for R2 disks.
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DVD plays fine - but I don't know if the DVD is playing NTSC and sending it to the TV or or if it is converting internally and sending the TV a PAL signal.

I think some component leads are the order of the day...
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    fletchem wrote: »
    The DVD plays fine - but I don't know if the DVD is playing NTSC and sending it to the TV or or if it is converting internally and sending the TV a PAL signal.

I think some component leads are the order of the day...

If you've got some old phono leads lying around try those!, they usually work fine - particularly just for a test.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just change the default on the DVD player to NTSC.

If it is set to Pal then, as said, thats the reason.