Mounting TV on brick wall - Help needed.

ashjfashjf Posts: 1,091
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I have an LG 50" plasma & want to fit it on to a brick fireplace wall, the TV weight is 25.8kg, Does anyone have any advice on the best way to fit the TV bracket to the wall?

Comments

• moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A brick wall is the best thing to hang a telly on. A partition wall that pokes your neighbours eye out is a bad thing.

"Does anyone have any advice on the best way to fit the TV bracket to the wall?"

Use a drill.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A solid brick wall is probably the best type of wall to get a good fixing. The easiest thing to do is go to the DIY shop and buy a pack of 'solid wall plugs and screws for heavy duty use' (they are labelled / coloured coded as such). You then need a a hammer drill and masonry bit the same size as the plugs and then use about 6 fixings to form a wide rectangle using the holes available on the TV bracket. It is advisable to use a spirit level to ensure the bracket is level when you mark the holes and re-check once they are marked without the bracket.

I would also recommend that you lay the TV flat on the ground first, screen down on a blanket so that you can offer the bracket assembly up to ensure it all fits and check what clearances you need if the TV is going above a mantle piece. Good luck!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    A solid brick wall is probably the best type of wall to get a good fixing. The easiest thing to do is go to the DIY shop and buy a pack of 'solid wall plugs and screws for heavy duty use' (they are labelled / coloured coded as such). You then need a a hammer drill and masonry bit the same size as the plugs and then use about 6 fixings to form a wide rectangle using the holes available on the TV bracket. It is advisable to use a spirit level to ensure the bracket is level when you mark the holes and re-check once they are marked without the bracket.

I would also recommend that you lay the TV flat on the ground first, screen down on a blanket so that you can offer the bracket assembly up to ensure it all fits and check what clearances you need if the TV is going above a mantle piece. Good luck!

This is good advice, actually if you've six fixing points, the normal type of wall plugs the (large brown ones) should be adequate given the amount of weight they are individually going to have to support. But as has been mentioned, you need to make sure the masonry drill bit you use is exactly the right size for the plug and screw you will be using. I'd purchase a new drill bit to ensure you get a good clean hole.

A good hardware/tool shop will be able to give you the advice, don't go to B&Q "They know nuffin'."
  • ashjfashjf Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help everyone, wanted to make sure before I did it.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Many wall brackets come complete with fixing - normally 10mm ones, such as used to fit satellite dishes. These are suitable for fitting to a solid brick/block wall - so you may not need to buy any more, get your bracket first and check.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashjf wrote: »
    Hi, I have an LG 50" plasma & want to fit it on to a brick fireplace wall, the TV weight is 25.8kg, Does anyone have any advice on the best way to fit the TV bracket to the wall?
    Isn't putting a TV above a fireplace the worse place to put it? (If you use your fire that is). All that heat rising directly into it won't do it any good.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can't lay a plasma TV flat on the ground, they have to be kept upright.
  • moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What happens if you lay them down like?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mooghead wrote: »
    What happens if you lay them down like?

They can break :D

The panels are much heavier than a lcd panel.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12211867_stand-plasma-tv-upright-deliver-it.html
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Laying one down for a few minutes won't hurt it.

Hell, some manuals even tell you to do this (using a cushion / blankets / duvet to protaect the screen) so you can fit the stand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laying one down for a few minutes won't hurt it.

Hell, some manuals even tell you to do this (using a cushion / blankets / duvet to protaect the screen) so you can fit the stand.

I wouldn't risk it personally with a 50" Plasma especially if you can avoid it anyway. Why take the risk ?
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't risk it personally with a 50" Plasma especially if you can avoid it anyway. Why take the risk ?
    Graham is right, I had assumed it was a LCD when I gave my advice but the OP does say it's a plasma, so don't take the risk of laying it down.

With fixing I always go for the belt and braces approach when hanging something heavy on the wall as it is not much of an effort to drill a couple of extra holes for the sake of peace of mind.
    artnada wrote: »
    Isn't putting a TV above a fireplace the worse place to put it? (If you use your fire that is). All that heat rising directly into it won't do it any good.
    But in a lot of cases the only place you have to hang a large TV in the room (the height may not be ideal either). Worth checking beforehand with the fire on how hot it gets. Usually if you have a mantlepiece above, the shelf provides a degree of protection from direct rising heat.
    Forum Member

That's just scaremongering - you 'can' break a Plasma much easier than an LCD - but you need to be particularly clumsy to do so.

Gently laying it on it's face (on a blanket or similar) using two people is perfectly safe.

I wouldn't advise trying it alone, as you have a greater chance of damaging it in that case - but you wouldn't be fitting a 50 inch alone anyway (if you've got any sense :D).
    Forum Member
    With fixing I always go for the belt and braces approach when hanging something heavy on the wall as it is not much of an effort to drill a couple of extra holes for the sake of peace of mind.

I'm all for extra fixings :D

I fitted five 32" LCD's and two 50" Plasmas last Friday morning.

For what it's worth we used four fixings on the LCD's and five on the Plasma's - I'd only normally use three on the LCD's, but the specific brackets we used needed four.