UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,596
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Last year they were on BBC and ITV.

Sky actually don't have any UCL qualifiers: they have the playoffs. The qualifying rounds are now complete, and Sky didn't show any games.

Are the Play Offs TV coverage part of the UCL TV deal, as SKY wouldn't normally broadcast UCL games before the Champions League stages[UCL Matchday 1 as UEFA call it]?

I'm surprised that only one game involving the British/Irish sides in the qualifiyers & that's Hearts[on BBC2 Scotland]is on live &, there's not even any highlights of the games on TV.:(
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Dinamo Zagreb vs Hearts will be shown on the BBC Sport website (UK Only):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8212526.stm
  • hugonhugon Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the Play Offs TV coverage part of the UCL TV deal, as SKY wouldn't normally broadcast UCL games before the Champions League stages[UCL Matchday 1 as UEFA call it]?

Yes, as has been discussed umpteen times on this forum.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The results were 4-0 to Everton, 3-1 to Fulham, 1-0 against Villa and 4-0 against Hearts.

For the 2nd legs it looks as though Evertons is all over, while Fulhams isn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Oh well, looks like I will be watching Beckham play Major League Soccer tonight. :o

All I can say is good luck to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The results were 4-0 to Everton, 3-1 to Fulham, 1-0 against Villa and 4-0 against Hearts.

Maybe you could actually warn people of spoilers beforehand:rolleyes:
  • hugonhugon Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoffNI wrote: »

After the match has taken place, why? And how long do we have to use spoilers for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Were any of these matches shown as highlights so they could be recorded for viewing later?
  • tvphiltvphil Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess ITV4 will probably pick up the Fulham game now, unless any other broadcaster who is still interested in the ex-Setanta rights might want it?

With the way the games are it would seem that Hearts are effectively out, and with Celtic losing heavily to Arsenal in the Champions League playoff first leg chances are Celtic will be the only Scottish club in the Europa League. Plus we might yet get all the English teams through.

BBC / BBC Scotland might still want to go for the available rights to the group stages onwards if they are cheap enough. Only other likely bidders will still be ESPN or British Eurosport I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were any of these matches shown as highlights so they could be recorded for viewing later?

I had the hearts game recorded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes fair comment that you didn't want to know the result.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't see what I did wrong really. The only way for certain to avoid the scores was to shut yourself in a dark room with no contact from the outside world. As the title of the thread is Uefa Europa League and the discussion is about the TV rights I don't see why I shouldn't discuss the scores from the 1st leg, as they might affect TV coverage of the 2nd leg.

Anyway is there any news on Fulhams 2nd leg?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    The Everton game should of been on tv missed opertunity me thinks and now Five have a meaningless second leg. At least sky sports news showed the goals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see what I did wrong really. The only way for certain to avoid the scores was to shut yourself in a dark room with no contact from the outside world. As the title of the thread is Uefa Europa League and the discussion is about the TV rights I don't see why I shouldn't discuss the scores from the 1st leg, as they might affect TV coverage of the 2nd leg.

Anyway is there any news on Fulhams 2nd leg?

Last I saw Europa League wasn't getting a slot on the BBC News 24 ticker. If anyone wanted results a few seconds of extra effort online and they would have them all.

Anyway whats done is done and no malice intended from yourself and I need to be less stupid myself as to go onto these forums until I watch the game.
  • tvphiltvphil Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess with the Fulham game kicking off at 3PM, that this is of little interest to any broadcaster.

Perhaps Channel Five will at least show the goals during their live games lter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right first things first if you really do want to avoid the results look away now.

Fulham have lost 1-0, but have won 3-2 on agg, and are through to the group stage. Will they finally get coverage now they are through to the main part of the competition?
    Forum Member
    From what has been said on five so far tonight Everton are going to be there main team this season and they are hoping to follow them to the final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More spoiler news:

Everton have drawn 1-1 today meaning they won 5-1 on agg.

I forgot to mention in my first post today that of course Celtic drop down from the champions league into the Europa League, gaining automatic entry into the group stages.

That just leaves Aston Villa whose match is about to start, and Hearts out of the British teams.

The draw is tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More spoiler news:

Aston Villa are out on the away goals rule, and Hearts are also out.

As for the TV coverage I guess Fulham are happy with Villas result.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched tonights Villa match on Channel 5 and they proudly boasted they had 1st pick of all of the games (which I guess means Everton.)

Is there a 2nd pick and a 3rd pick? And if so who has those? In other words what are the full rights?

Also Setanta I heard did have some rights but obviously having gone bust they don't now? What rights did they have?

Also the kickoff times? Am I right in thinking the whole of the Europa League from the group stage onwards, only has 2 kickoff times each matchday for TV coverage reasons?
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched tonights Villa match on Channel 5 and they proudly boasted they had 1st pick of all of the games (which I guess means Everton.)

Is there a 2nd pick and a 3rd pick? And if so who has those? In other words what are the full rights?

Also Setanta I heard did have some rights but obviously having gone bust they don't now? What rights did they have?

Also the kickoff times? Am I right in thinking the whole of the Europa League from the group stage onwards, only has 2 kickoff times each matchday for TV coverage reasons?

ITV4 has seven second picks, four third picks and four fourth picks.

Setanta had the remaining seven second picks, eight third picks, eight fourth picks and ten fifth picks.

There are two kick off times on MD1-4 (Thu 18.05 & Thu 20.05), then four kick off times on MD5 & 6 (Wed 18.05 & 20.05 and Thu 18.05 & 20.05).
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    ITV4 has seven second picks, four third picks and four fourth picks.

Setanta had the remaining seven second picks, eight third picks, eight fourth picks and ten fifth picks.

There are two kick off times on MD1-4 (Thu 18.05 & Thu 20.05), then four kick off times on MD5 & 6 (Wed 18.05 & 20.05 and Thu 18.05 & 20.05).

So I guess that means Everton on five and Fulham on ITV 4 unless Fulham have some very good group opponents?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch any of the games. Would of liked to have Seen PSV v Bnei Yehuda but believe it was only on ESPN Israel. Just getting English teams is rather dissappointing.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pcuffy wrote: »
    So I guess that means Everton on five and Fulham on ITV 4 unless Fulham have some very good group opponents?
    There's also Celtic to take into consideration...and I'd say they would command a higher audience than Fulham for most games.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pcuffy wrote: »

A Fulham 20.05 ko might be more attractive than an Everton 18.05 one.