Options

Connecting Win 7 to Vista for sharing + internet

piamariapiamaria Posts: 536
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, would someone please be able to explain how i can connect my Windows 7 home laptop to my friend's Vista laptop so that i can send a large file?

I have tried setting up an ad-hoc network but it's asking for password and it's not accepting anything :confused:

Also i would like us both to still be able to access the internet while we do this, which we are both connected to the wireless router upstairs at the moment. Is this possible??

Very confusing

Comments

• Options
    John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    piamaria wrote: »
    Hi, would someone please be able to explain how i can connect my Windows 7 home laptop to my friend's Vista laptop so that i can send a large file?

try using yousendit or webtransfer
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Create a folder, put stuff in it, right click and choose the option to share it.

On the other PC use Network Places to find the 1st PC and drag-drop the item across.

Great Success.
  • Options
    jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my home LAN I just go onto Start > Computer > Network on the bottom of the pane on the left hand side of the screen and all the computers connected to my router come up and I can see the files and transfer files.

You might have to setup the workgroup settings:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Join-or-create-a-workgroup
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telling us how

How large is Large?

And is it a one off transfer?

would help.
  • Options
    John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Telling us how

How large is Large?

And is it a one off transfer?

would help.

webtransfer allows you to transfer up to 2 GB
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I tried connecting my old laptop to my Vista desktop it wouldn't "make the connection", but once I enabled sharing, I was then allowed to send files to the laptop. I had to enable sharing on both. Although, the laptop was XP.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    webtransfer allows you to transfer up to 2 GB

I think they meant the first poster.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    If it's a one-off, using a USB stick or external drive will be quicker. When everything works as it should, setting up file sharing can be achieved with just a few clicks. But if there are any issues with just one of the machines, you could be there for hours and still have no luck.

If the file isn't too large, one of the above mentioned online services will also do the job for you. Or if you both use Live Messenger, you can also use that.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    You don't need an ad-hoc network, you are already networked through the router!
    Anyways just so you know, win 7 home group makes all this configuration so much easier. But i think you need two win7 computers. Old style windows sharing has so many gotchyas, but that is how you learn.