Virgin 100 200 300meg

ash45ash45 Posts: 368
Forum Member
Little news on past rumors don't know how official but TBB usual seam to be in the ball

Seams vm have kinda confirmed new packages

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7119-virgin-media-to-start-next-round-of-speed-upgrades-in-october.html#news_comments

Comments

• SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’m happy with the 50 Mb down I get now but it’s the upload speed that makes me :cry: and as their keeping low profile on that matter we might be lucky if we see a couple of Mb faster upload.:(
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    I’m happy with the 50 Mb down I get now but it’s the upload speed that makes me :cry: and as their keeping low profile on that matter we might be lucky if we see a couple of Mb faster upload.:(

Upload speed isn't likely to rise dramatically I'd have thought, the way the network is built mostly prevents it

It's said that DOCSIS 3.1 (the next revision of the standard that lets you do internet access over cable TV networks) will give a boost, though - but that's quite some way away and will need new equipment in the headend and in the home.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://store.virginmedia.com/special-offers/speed-upgrade.html has some details but it's quite vague. In the terms it says
    We will start the upgrade programme on 1 October which will offer a free upgrade to our base. This will roll out to 90% by the end of 2015 and the remaining will be completed in early 2016.

Considering the last round of speed upgrades (50/100/152) have only recently been completed, it's surprising to see a claim that 90% of customers will have the new speeds by the end of this year,

There are areas (including mine) where speeds drop to 10Mb or less in the evening so it's hard to see how parts of the network which already have serious performance issues will be able to cope with 300Mb speeds without substantial, and rapid, upgrades.
  • jcm193jcm193 Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://store.virginmedia.com/special-offers/speed-upgrade.html has some details but it's quite vague. In the terms it says.
    Looking forward to the speed bump I pressed the link to keep me in the loop they say they will be in touch via email not sure how if you if your not even logged into your virgin account though when you register your interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are areas (including mine) where speeds drop to 10Mb or less in the evening so it's hard to see how parts of the network which already have serious performance issues will be able to cope with 300Mb speeds without substantial, and rapid, upgrades.

STM mark 2, perhaps? up to 300Mbit unless you download too much, then you'll be cut down to 30Mbit for the evening
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    STM mark 2, perhaps? up to 300Mbit unless you download too much, then you'll be cut down to 30Mbit for the evening
    Perhaps more likely, the area upgrades will have such local issues factored in.

At least, that would be the logical and most cost-effective way of doing it.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    with those speeds I might consider reducing my service to save money. I'm on the top package at the moment and it's great. I get about 172mbs down. to download a gigabyte takes about a minute which is crazy fast

if the lowest package is 100mb, and they have the usual 10% extra, even that's an incredibly fast connection. in real terms I would have about 50% less speed than now but save a fair bit as I pay full price

I wonder how many other people will consider doing the same if this is true
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Perhaps more likely, the area upgrades will have such local issues factored in.

At least, that would be the logical and most cost-effective way of doing it.

300Mbit is going to put a strain on any of the Virgin network - all of them are going to need substantial upgrades if they want to sell 300Mbit to more than a handful of users in the same neighbourhood, without congestion or "overutilisation"

You say it's "more likely" that they'll upgrade, but my example is basically what they did back in the day when 50Mbit was massive. Upped the speeds but then introduced STM to stop people actually using said speed for a long period
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    300Mbit is going to put a strain on any of the Virgin network - all of them are going to need substantial upgrades if they want to sell 300Mbit to more than a handful of users in the same neighbourhood, without congestion or "overutilisation"

You say it's "more likely" that they'll upgrade, but my example is basically what they did back in the day when 50Mbit was massive. Upped the speeds but then introduced STM to stop people actually using said speed for a long period

VM would be likely to be upgrading kit for the speed increases, so whilst they are doing that, why would they not add in the necessary changes/upgrades to cater for any utilisation issues in that area? As I said, it would be the sensible thing to do.

STM is not as prevalent as it was - it's been gradually removed on downstream (first on the top tier, now on all current tiers, legacy tiers of 20meg or lower still have it). I don't see them bringing it back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    VM would be likely to be upgrading kit for the speed increases, so whilst they are doing that, why would they not add in the necessary changes/upgrades to cater for any utilisation issues in that area? As I said, it would be the sensible thing to do..

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that they were upgrading a lot of old kit prior to the 152Mb rollout which was part of the reason that it took so long. This could explain how they're able to quote such a quick turnaround for the forthcoming upgrades.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    --Adrian-- wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I was under the impression that they were upgrading a lot of old kit prior to the 152Mb rollout which was part of the reason that it took so long. This could explain how they're able to quote such a quick turnaround for the forthcoming upgrades.

Yeah, good point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    --Adrian-- wrote: »

My area was upgraded last year to resolve a utilisation problem and provide the capacity for 152Mb. Everyone then got the free upgrade and unfortunately only a few months later it became over utilised again. They haven't been able to do anything to resolve it so far (Here's a 152Mb speedtest last night).

When asked about the delay they say it's down to planning permission, which is also the reason used on their forum in the many threads about long running utilisation problems. If that's the case, how can they be so confident that everyone will be able to access 300Mb by 'Early 2016' at the latest? Most utilisation faults take 12-18 months to fully resolve, due to the alleged 'planning' issues.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    My area was upgraded last year to resolve a utilisation problem and provide the capacity for 152Mb. Everyone then got the free upgrade and unfortunately only a few months later it became over utilised again. They haven't been able to do anything to resolve it so far (Here's a 152Mb speedtest last night).

When asked about the delay they say it's down to planning permission, which is also the reason used on their forum in the many threads about long running utilisation problems. If that's the case, how can they be so confident that everyone will be able to access 300Mb by 'Early 2016' at the latest? Most utilisation faults take 12-18 months to fully resolve, due to the alleged 'planning' issues.

I am curious are you in the near the Fallowfield area in Manchester? I only ask given it says Manchester on the speedtest. The vast student area between Rusholme and Didsbury are usually connected to the Withington range of UBRs. which comes with the pitfall of being over utilitised all year round, it never improves, when they add more capacity it just gets sucked up......its been like that for years. When they do the upgrades its usually out of term tim,s o real usage isn't reflective. They could sort the problem out, but it would require substantial investment.

Where I live now in Trafford, usually connected to Baguely range of UBRs, its fine always a kink at some point, but again fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    I am curious are you in the near the Fallowfield area in Manchester? I only ask given it says Manchester on the speedtest.

I'm in Merseyside (Knowsley/St Helens area) although Manchester is now my nearest VM Speed Test server, since Baguley was withdrawn a couple of weeks back.

I'm not sure if the problems in this area are student related but the what you describe sounds quite similar. New capacity is added every so often and things improve for a short time, but then it's terrible again a couple of months later. They can never seem to get on top of the utilisation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    My area was upgraded last year to resolve a utilisation problem and provide the capacity for 152Mb. Everyone then got the free upgrade and unfortunately only a few months later it became over utilised again.

I feel your pain but I think that VM will announce job done once they've flicked the virtual switch to enable the new speeds despite a proportion of their customer base not getting anywhere near the headline speeds. The upgrades last year, certainly in my area (Edinburgh), were partly to upgrade old kit that simply wasn't capable of supporting the new higher speeds. VM are likely see over-utilisation as a BAU problem to be dealt with through their normal channels, unfortunately.

Incidentally, I'm still a little bit cautious about what these new speeds are actually going to be since, TBB's article notwithstanding, in the email I received, although it says a boost is on it's way, it doesn't actually state anywhere what that new speed will be. If it is going to be speed doubling I'd expect them to be crowing about it a little more (I'm hoping that it is though - my son's got quite a steam habit these days!). Whatever it turns out to be, though, I'd really welcome a corresponding upload increase since all of the cloud storage that's available just now (Windows 10 and OneDrive anyone?) would become far more usable without having to leave your PC on overnight to complete the initial upload.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had an email about these speed upgrades - didn't say what it was to though, just a link to a video about it, and that it would be rolling out in the Autumn.
  • DreamRJDreamRJ Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too just had an email today too, why cant they say what the new speeds will be?? i hope it is true about the 100/200/300 speeds, but i was suffering from high utilization, but about a week ago, they switched my sub station to a different one, and now my speeds are how they should be since they done that. but does sound weird they doing these upgrades when soo many people are having these high utilization issues. :P
  • Ben_WBen_W Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Will they be increasing upload speeds?
  • DreamRJDreamRJ Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben_W wrote: »

yes i hope soo too, i mean would be crazy if they dont do uploads too, the upload speed hasnt been increased in ages on either package, and they should be 1/10 ratio and as it stands atm, its about 1/15 ration.
  • jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been looking forward to this for a few months.

I've had 300Mbps + speeds for a few months now and customer services have been very tightlipped about this when I asked them only stating that it's a temporary trial so I thought I'd enjoy it while it lasted.

This is how much I've been getting for the last few months on my VM connection: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4545399653

Currently on a DUAL WAN connection though so it did take me a long while to realise that I was actually getting 300 instead of 152 from VM.

DUAL WAN: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4542077430

EDIT: Yes I can sometimes hit around 20 Meg on the upload through the VM connection which seems to be 1/15 of 300. If they did change this to 1/10 It would be incredible but either way any speed increase is good regardless.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben_W wrote: »

On Thinkbroadband there is a item about upload speeds being 20 Mb for the 300 service and 12 Mb for the 200 but I can see no mention of the 100 service.:(

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7148-more-information-on-new-virgin-media-ultrafast-products.html
  • FiendishlyCFiendishlyC Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I wont get my hopes up. Here in Nottingham I'm getting between 5 and 20Mb most evenings due to the network being over capacity. This has been going on for 18 months. The only upside is the discount you get if you know to complain...
  • Michael_LambertMichael_Lambert Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Will this be needing a new hub if you are already receiving 150mbps?
  • jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will this be needing a new hub if you are already receiving 150mbps?

Doubtful. I'm getting 300 fine using the Superhub 2AC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what i've seen on the Virgin Media forum they seem to think new hubs which connect to 16 channels will be needed when 300Mb is widely rolled out.

The current hubs can only connect to 8 channels which together provide 400Mbps total bandwidth, shared between all customers connected to them (which may be 100s in some areas).