The Man in the High Castle (Amazon)

Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watched first ep of this and quite enjoyed it. Interesting plot Based on Philip K. Dick's award-winning novel and adapted by Frank Spotniz. Not read the book, in fact I'd never even heard of this until i got my monthly amazon prime email about what's new to watch.

Comments

• Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I read about the series I read the book. Fro trailers and more I've read based on the book, is just about it, based loosely.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    When I read about the series I read the book. Fro trailers and more I've read based on the book, is just about it, based loosely.

I read the book after the pilot as well. It was a bit 'high concept' but ultimately very interesting. I guess that Amazon will just turn it into a by the numbers thriller.

I do like 'Canon City' though - where presumably everything that happens, happens officially :D
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The full series is due very soon end of month I thought but maybe a bit later
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thorney wrote: »
    The full series is due very soon end of month I thought but maybe a bit later

I got an email from them saing the full series will be put on prime on the 20th November
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the first 2 were a taster? Not sure what rating is for this show because first ep said 12 which im thinking was wrong considering there were 3 f words. 2nd rated 15 and no f words.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the 2nd one has only recently been added didnt know about it will be watching asap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the 2nd one has only recently been added didnt know about it will be watching asap

You seen first ep? What did you think of it?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »

I thought it was very promising. It was more of a setup to show what the world is like. And the way it looked was done really well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very promising. It was more of a setup to show what the world is like. And the way it looked was done really well.

Not quite sure what the plot is. Something about an alternate world. Shows like this do interest me if they're done right.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been a long wait but the second episode did not disappoint. Looking forward to the rest of the series which I guess will all be released on the 20th of November, unless Amazon plan to show us one a week before then.
  • standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    The Nazi concord ,was intreaguing ,a great visual !
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite sure what the plot is. Something about an alternate world. Shows like this do interest me if they're done right.

Yes it's an alternate timeline where Germany won the Second World War.
    America is split into three main regions. There is a mutual arrangement where Germany controls the East, Japan controls the West, and there is a neutral zone down the middle.
    And there is a suggestion in the story that they are living in an alternate dimension, which is quite interesting as usually when this sort of thing is done the characters within the story aren't aware of something like that. So it does seem to play with the fourth wall a bit.

I haven't watched the second episode yet.

I definitely recommend it. There are some location shots which look wonderful and create a convincing world which looks very plausible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    If the rest of the series keeps up this quality then we're in for a treat.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The German part of the country is much larger than the Japanese part, with the neutral zone being more to the west than the middle. The story is set in about 1962.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm really liking this always a fan of alternate timelines and a huge Wolfenstein fan so that helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really liking this always a fan of alternate timelines and a huge Wolfenstein fan so that helps.

I was trying to think of the game that had same idea. It was wolfenstein wasn't it?
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    The German part of the country is much larger than the Japanese part, with the neutral zone being more to the west than the middle. The story is set in about 1962.
    The Germans have much more advanced tech. They show this in the pilot with a Japanese diplomat expressing wonder at a German hypersonic plane that took 2 hours to fly from Stockholm to San Francisco. It's unclear whether the German space achievements in the book will be reflected in the show. I'm not sure that we'd believe the Germans would have managed to build a moonbase in less than 20 years since the war. Even a 1960s Mars mission sounds iffy today.

In the show the Japanese await the inevitable Nazi invasion. Could be very interesting with inventive script writers.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my heart always sinks when they move something into cult and scifi
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was already a thread for this series, though the title is slightly wrong: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2079169 :D

Not watched episode 2 yet but may wait until the series is completely released in November.
  • Hampton WickHampton Wick Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole 'Nazis winning WWII' premise is a bit cliched in the Science Fiction/Fantasy genre but this show is really well done. Definitely the best of the Amazon 'originals' so far IMO.

I do remember starting to read the book a long time ago but it was very slow going and not much seemed to be going on .. the plot at the start was something about a guy owning an antique store (and the Japanese being super-keen on old American artifacts) or something and it really seemed to be more about world-building than story telling. I must go back and finish it to see if it picks up.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm waiting until it's all on Prime then I'm going to binge watch. I love Philip K Dick although I haven't actually read this book so I'm really looking forward to it.
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched episode two and Friday 20th can't come soon enough for me!

I absolutely love this show, 2 episodes in and you just want see what happens next.

Premium quality drama.
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Man in the High Castle available from Amazon Prime from tomorrow finally! Can't wait to watch the rest after seeing episode two earlier this week.

Been a long wait for this show from seeing the pilot back in January.
  • Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know what time they're releasing it tomorrow and how many episodes are in season one?