The Scheme

Comments

• U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dayna is beautiful. She is properly off drugs now and has a steady home and stuff. She rallied pretty hard to stop the scheme being shown, cause she's turned her life around somethin' great.

:) That's good to know.I was shocked when that horrible pole dancer girl punched her in the face as she was being interviewed.She had the good grace not to retaliate.
  • SoulpuncherSoulpuncher Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :) That's good to know.I was shocked when that horrible pole dancer girl punched her in the face as she was being interviewed.She had the good grace not to retaliate.

It wasn't the good grace it was the fact she was on an electronic tag and vowed revenge once the tag was removed.

It's a good show and equally depressing. You laugh at their crazy and embarrassing antics, but when you see that mother bawling her eyes out you can't help feel a pang of sympathy.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dayna is beautiful. She is properly off drugs now and has a steady home and stuff. She rallied pretty hard to stop the scheme being shown, cause she's turned her life around somethin' great.

That doesn't quite ring true - she's still cropping up in the papers, claiming she and Marvin are getting married, and she's meant to be in this recently filmed 'follow up' they're showing next Monday. I wouldn't say she's doing badly out of milking the fame machine.
    Ah,just googled her.Yeah,she's pretty fit.Was that her that had the nice wee boy?.
    She was laughing about her boyfriend being hit by a bottle at a party!.Nice.....

That's the very one. The definition of 'shouldn't ... but definitely would'! :o
  • superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    That doesn't quite ring true - she's still cropping up in the papers, claiming she and Marvin are getting married, and she's meant to be in this recently filmed 'follow up' they're showing next Monday. I wouldn't say she's doing badly out of milking the fame machine.

That's the very one. The definition of 'shouldn't ... but definitely would'! :o

Wow really? I hadn't heard about her in a few months since before Xmas, but a quick search on the sun seems to prove you right. That's sad to hear :(
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow really? I hadn't heard about her in a few months since before Xmas, but a quick search on the sun seems to prove you right. That's sad to hear :(

Yeah :( I've also heard from quite a few people that both Dayna and Marvin are quite often to be found in various Kilmarnock shopping centres trying to sell autographs and sign t-shirts for twenty quid a pop. They seem to be the big 'names' that are milking this infamy - haven't heard much about Kay (n aw the rest ae it :p) who seems to be genuinely keeping a low profile since the show's been on.
  • superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah :( I've also heard from quite a few people that both Dayna and Marvin are quite often to be found in various Kilmarnock shopping centres trying to sell autographs and sign t-shirts for twenty quid a pop. They seem to be the big 'names' that are milking this infamy - haven't heard much about Kay (n aw the rest ae it :p) who seems to be genuinely keeping a low profile since the show's been on.

Marvin is forever in the Burns Mall (the shopping centre) trying to sell autographs and stuff, but genuinely haven't saw Dayna.

Kay, Kendall, Candice and the baby are moving out of Kilmarnock, and the Cunninghams are in pretty much the same rut. Kimberley and David are a credit to the family though, really nice people in spite of it all.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    A lot of them speak in that nasally twang so often favoured by neds.Plus i've noticed a lot of heroin addicts have that slurred speech,like they can't be arsed with the effort of speaking.
    A lot of them seem to have really bad teeth as well.Even the ones not on drugs look like they haven't seen a dentist in years.Free dental treatment for the unemployed as well.No excuses!.

They have more important things to do than teeth cleaning...Scoring!!! :confused:
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep hoping that the families have turned a corner, but things just seem to go from bad to worse. A vicious circle.

Well done that man for getting second in the garden comp!
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marvin is forever in the Burns Mall (the shopping centre) trying to sell autographs and stuff, but genuinely haven't saw Dayna.

Kay, Kendall, Candice and the baby are moving out of Kilmarnock, and the Cunninghams are in pretty much the same rut. Kimberley and David are a credit to the family though, really nice people in spite of it all.

You've got to love the names as well - Kay, Candice and Kendall. It'd be even better if it was Candice with a K! :D:o
    scotch wrote: »
    I keep hoping that the families have turned a corner, but things just seem to go from bad to worse. A vicious circle.

Yeah, it seemed like that kid Steven (Libby's son) had turned the corner until that voiceover at the end. I think of all of them, Libby's story was the most depressing.
    Well done that man for getting second in the garden comp!

It would have been nice to find out a bit more about them - did they have kids and how did they turn out? They seemed to be geniuses compared to the others on the show!

The voiceover made the trip to the prize giving to get a look at Mrs Ross seem a bit sinister, though. :D

If it had been Kay that lost that garden competition, I'd be advising Mrs Ross to lock her doors, stay away from the windows and never venture out after dark.

Looking forward to the debate show next Tuesday as well. Aside from being kinda funny at times, it raises a lot of questions. Also interesting because it's a proper insight into the kind of day-to-day stuff that social workers, teachers and police find themselves stuck in the middle of.
  • SimbaTheKittenSimbaTheKitten Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I notice the horrible evil dwarf boy (Chris) appeared to be having sexual relations with the 15 year old daughter of the woman who was running the open house for tearaways, even though he was 19 or 20. The girl had then turned 16 by the time she was pregnant.

This is acceptable is it? Don't men go to jail for this type of thing? Or do we call this a "Romeo and Juliet" situation?

Although anyone's idea of Romeo he is not. And I don't remember Juliet having an abortion in the Shakespeare version.

I love the liberal lefty politically correct voiceover. Someone happily sticking a needle into themselves is said to be "battling a drug addiction". Someone happily getting drunk every night is said to be "fighting an alcohol problem".

The only two I feel sorry for is Bullet - who thankfully went to a decent home through the wonderful Dogs Trust - and the lovely little articulate girl, who seems to be more intelligent than the entire scheme put together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Quality post.Sums up the first episode perfectly.
    You're right that wee guy Chris is a real nasty piece of work.Car vandals are the lowest of the low,especially when people are sleeping.

For most of the episode(i missed it first time round).I sat open mouthed not really taking in what i was hearing or seeing.It's the strangest documentary i've seen for years.Everyone was talking about it at work today.:eek:

I wouldn't call it a documentary, it's exploitation at it's finest. a couple of streets in the Onthank area of Kilmarnock does not make a scheme. I haven't watched it this time round... it's just not funny. Last showing we had Marvin and Chris selling **** in the town for a quid... reaching minor zeeleb status.. Who's worse, those that coveted them or them themselves?.
    Marvin Baird and Chris Cunningham haven't changed at all, they are still a pair of junkie wasters.
    Going into Kilmarnock town via bus or taxi is a bit like running a gauntlet.... the whole area is surrounded by addicts, nobody seems to care anymore.. Employment is almost nil, we have at least 2 addiction services doling out prescriptions for the drug of choice which in turn gives us filthy dirty waxen skinned people who just hang around outside the bus station all day... Babies in buggies with sour milk bottles... it's disgusting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I particularly enjoyed 'Eh, that man hid said 'e'd caw'd 'um aw the Bin Laden basturts n aw that!'

'Geed um the fuh-ll whack. Cuz it's a racial.'

'Al show them aw am no a daftie when a get this tag oaf!'

(Marge Simpson on 60-a-day voice) 'IIIIITTTT'S A SIIIIIT INNNNN'

'It's me urh the blues'

Staggering to think people live like this - and also quite scary. Funny as hell 'mair urh less'.

BTW I have to express my disgust at the clearly strung-out Dana demanding that she get her own house. Since she doesn't work and is out of jail on a tag, who does she think will be paying for this, and why on earth does she think she's entitled to one!?

Equally ridiculous and so typical was the little rat-faced Annie claiming that her precious son is really a lovely boy. 'It's aw the drink' that makes him racially abuse shopkeepers. :rolleyes: That's right. Poor powerless chap was force-fed Buckfast and unconsciously launched into a violent rant.

The cunningham kids never stood a chance, both annie and gordon were serious alcoholics at one point, surprising that their kids didnt have worse things wrong with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    If Marvin was always taking Valium shouldn't he have been nice and sedate? Instead it seemed to turn him crazy. His girlfriend saying that she'd probably get another kicking as he was on them again:confused:

Though at times I though she was on them herself, with her slow and slurred speach.

She was on methodone at the time of filming (amongst other things)
    I feel sorry for Dayna, she has had an awful upbringing, both her parents are dead through addictions and she's lost herself in the same thing... ATM she is in prison (drug related offences) and due out, I honestly hope that she'll not come back to Kilmarnock, move right away and try and make a life for herself.. She's a lovely looking young girl going to waste.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That poor baby was the Spitting Image of Chris wasn't she? I did wonder if Annie and Gordon had been drinking particularly heavy during Chris's conception as he was much smaller than the others.

There was a lot said and unsaid in this. How did Kay afford to BUY a house? Are they £5 in The Scheme? Did Annie and Gordon really think kicking the booze was really going to make up for the fact they were fighting and pissing it up during their children's formative years?

The garden stuff seemed really odd amongst the drugs, death and teenage pregnancy didn't it?
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    I'm confused with Chris' family where did they steal the middle brother and youngest sister from they appeared to be decent people but the rest of the family were a mess. I was actually surprisd to see Chris in the follow up who in their right mind would stay with him he looks about 8. Also bugged me Candice smoking during her pregnancy
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Braintree wrote: »
    That poor baby was the Spitting Image of Chris wasn't she? I did wonder if Annie and Gordon had been drinking particularly heavy during Chris's conception as he was much smaller than the others.

There was a lot said and unsaid in this. How did Kay afford to BUY a house? Are they £5 in The Scheme? Did Annie and Gordon really think kicking the booze was really going to make up for the fact they were fighting and pissing it up during their children's formative years?

The garden stuff seemed really odd amongst the drugs, death and teenage pregnancy didn't it?

Regarding Annie and Gordon and the booze: It shows the children what too much substance abuse can do to you, your partner and your children. But it also shows that you don't need to be a slave to it, that with help you can kick it. Yes they may not have been good parents when drinking, but they are trying when they're off it. That's important for the children to see. Sadly Chris hasn't really learned from them.

It is abit odd, but I guess its to show that even in a council estate there's "normal" people.
  • ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also wondered how Kay could afford to buy a house, and the fact they all seem to have to nice cars and smoke constantly, yet no one works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding Annie and Gordon and the booze: It shows the children what too much substance abuse can do to you, your partner and your children. But it also shows that you don't need to be a slave to it, that with help you can kick it. Yes they may not have been good parents when drinking, but they are trying when they're off it. That's important for the children to see. Sadly Chris hasn't really learned from them.

It is abit odd, but I guess its to show that even in a council estate there's "normal" people.

I don't want to take what they've achieved away from them. You never really kick an addiction and everyday is a fight, especially something so freely available like the alcohol but it doesn't change that the first memories their children had of their parents was boozing and fighting.
    They weren't exactly deterring Chris from drug taking when he was doing coke and cannabis so is it any wonder he moved on to something stronger. Especially in the heroin central that The Scheme seemed to be.

My grandmother was an alcoholic from when my mum was 12 and didn't kick it until 22 years later. My mum's memories aren't the sober, respectable old woman I knew but the drunken, emotionally abusive mother during her teens.

I don't want to put armchair psychology on to the two brothers who had issues but that combined with their lack of focus (notice the two successful siblings were doing well in dance and football) was bound to lead to problems.

To be fair I forgot the Crees, who beyond the bad teeth, were a normal, nice family. I'm guessing a lot of the decent families didn't want to be in it? I don't blame them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nats18 wrote: »
    I'm confused with Chris' family where did they steal the middle brother and youngest sister from they appeared to be decent people but the rest of the family were a mess. I was actually surprisd to see Chris in the follow up who in their right mind would stay with him he looks about 8. Also bugged me Candice smoking during her pregnancy

Ha! Yes. "I'm nae killing my baby" then smokes like a chimney.

I allow myself a small "WTF?" when they get all preachy about abortion and then don't use contraception, suggesting they knew exactly what they were doing in getting pregnant but still act as if it were a happy accident.

The sad thing is Candice isn't the first and won't be the last. I did wonder about how Kay had raised her. Kay is the most manipulative character I've seen on television. Acting holier than thou taking in waifs and strays followed by an assault charge. Amazing. I got the impression Kay had raised her daughter with the attitude of "You ain't nothing if you ain't got a man" because that would be the only explanation for her staying with the dwarf throughout heroin and him having sex with Dayna.
  • Debs79hDebs79h Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call it a documentary, it's exploitation at it's finest. a couple of streets in the Onthank area of Kilmarnock does not make a scheme. I haven't watched it this time round... it's just not funny. Last showing we had Marvin and Chris selling **** in the town for a quid... reaching minor zeeleb status.. Who's worse, those that coveted them or them themselves?.
    Marvin Baird and Chris Cunningham haven't changed at all, they are still a pair of junkie wasters.
    Going into Kilmarnock town via bus or taxi is a bit like running a gauntlet.... the whole area is surrounded by addicts, nobody seems to care anymore.. Employment is almost nil, we have at least 2 addiction services doling out prescriptions for the drug of choice which in turn gives us filthy dirty waxen skinned people who just hang around outside the bus station all day... Babies in buggies with sour milk bottles... it's disgusting.

I always have to laugh when I drive by the sign in Kilmarnock nameing it Scotlands Friendliest Shopping Town. :eek:
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    It's a sit in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TVi2hhhA-8

Some Facebook pages too. This show is popular! Everyone loves it. It's hard not to laugh at some parts though.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128688183817867

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-fat-whale-in-the-bikini-from-The-Scheme/118074274944954
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The handwringing debate after it was annoying. I don't see how throwing money at middle aged women to run their little empires, sorry, 'drop in centres', will have any effect on the lives of people like Marvin and Chris. That woman and her jolly to Africa to see how they lived stood out for me. How much did that bloody cost and why!?
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Their just trying to improve the community.
  • BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I found it compelling viewing and utterly appalling at the same time.

They didn't have to show James McMurray injecting heroin. I found that unnecessary. I felt ever so sorry for Libby McMurray having three kids one a drug addict and the other two in and out of prison.
    The daughter Kerry got right on my wick with that put on ned talk...cringe!!! The other son Steven, I thought he would turn out to be okay, but no, he turned out just as bad as the rest of them, a thug and a bully.

Chris Cunningham was another who really annoyed me. A waster and a sponger who eventually turned to smack, and his mother still thought the sun shone out his backside. I hope Candice has really left him and finds herself a better life.

The Crees were the shining light in the whole programme, a family trying to do something for the community. So good to see that there are still honouable people about who want to put into the community instead of taking out of it.

Marvin and Dayna, where do you start. Watching the follow up, he really thought he was some kind of star. You're not!
  • caramac42caramac42 Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Apologies if I have missed this somewhere, but did the Crees ever get the community centre up and running.

I never saw them on the update programme.