You know you're a radio anorak when......

Comments

• SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...when you proudly still wear t-shirts promoting radio stations that you used to work for!
    Please tell me you don't...........................................
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please tell me you don't...........................................

Oh we do. :D

Fridays have become "Wear A GWR Group T-Shirt Day" in our office.

My colleague (you-know-who!) and I have started a very sad contest to out-do each other with our various Horizon, Chiltern, Hereward, Gemini, GWR, 2CR, 2TEN, Vibe 101 and Classic Gold t-shirts.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you win a competition prize and still keep the compliments slip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My colleague (you-know-who!) and I have started a very sad contest to out-do each other with our various Horizon, Chiltern, Hereward, Gemini, GWR, 2CR, 2TEN, Vibe 101 and Classic Gold t-shirts.
    Oh god! Actually that has just reminded me of something I used to do. You know you are an anorak when....

You recreate a sample hour of stations you used to work at in Adobe Audition and complete the mix with the original jingles in between, add processing then burn them onto CD. They come in handy for long journeys!

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You recreate a sample hour of stations you used to work at in Adobe Audition and complete the mix with the original jingles in between, add processing then burn them onto CD.

Luvin' that idea!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luvin' that idea!
    It's great because you get free choice! One of my GWR mixes plays Linkin Park 'Faint' :D

"No Rap Less Chat" (but lots of screaming!).
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Luvin' that idea!

Me too, i've got some old music logs somewhere and on powergold too. I must visit the IQ beats website now.
  • Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossall wrote: »
    When you know the frequencies and powers of the main BBC transmitters and quite a few local stations off the top of your head.

R2 Sutton Coldfield 88.3 (240KW)
    R1 Wrotham 98.8 (120KW)
    Viking FM High Hunsley 96.9 (9KW)
    Clyde 1 Black Hill 102.5 (15KW)

etc..

R2 Wenvoe 89.9Mhz (240kW)
    R4 Bristol Illchester Cresent 93.70Mhz (1kw)
    Jack FM Dundry East 106.5Mhz (1Kw)
    BBC Somerset Sound Mendip 95.50Mhz (9kw)
    R5L Clevedon 909Khz (50Kw)
    R4 Droitwich 198Khz (500Kw)
    Absolute Washford 1215Khz (100Kw)
    R Bristol Mangotsfield 1548Khz (5Kw)
    R Devon Barnstaple 801Khz (2Kw)
    BBC H&W Worcester 738Khz (38w)
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    .....when compare my radio is in your internet favourites and because you study it every day you genuinly believe that you understand the rotations and music policy of the stations on there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I saved those paper logs from 1994 now :)
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you can remember the last four jingle packages used by Radio Forth prior to the AM/FM split in 1990 and can still hear the station's 1985 news jingle in your head all these years later. :D

(News & Information Station, 1983-85; Hit Music Radio, 1985-87; Great Music Radio, 1987-88; Greatest Memories Latest Hits, 1988-90 in case you're wondering.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I saved those paper logs from 1994 now :)

And I'm glad you emailed them to me. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you can remember the last four jingle packages used by Radio Forth prior to the AM/FM split in 1990. :D

Guilty here too!

Latest Hits, Greatest Memories is on MP3 on my desktop. :D
  • jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R2 Wenvoe 89.9Mhz (240kW)
    R4 Bristol Illchester Cresent 93.70Mhz (1kw)
    Jack FM Dundry East 106.5Mhz (1Kw)
    BBC Somerset Sound Mendip 95.50Mhz (9kw)
    R5L Clevedon 909Khz (50Kw)
    R4 Droitwich 198Khz (500Kw)
    Absolute Washford 1215Khz (100Kw)
    R Bristol Mangotsfield 1548Khz (5Kw)
    R Devon Barnstaple 801Khz (2Kw)
    BBC H&W Worcester 738Khz (38w)

You know what, compared with some maybe I'm not really an anorak at all.

Although.....
    You recreate a sample hour of stations you used to work at in Adobe Audition and complete the mix with the original jingles in between, add processing then burn them onto CD. They come in handy for long journeys!

Maybe I've been guilty just once or twice - without the processing though. Going to that effort is impressive, take a bow mate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guilty here too!

Latest Hits, Greatest Memories is on MP3 on my desktop. :D

I have a copy of it too on CD somwehere, sent to me by another collector. ;)

I still live in the hope that the Great Music Radio package which was used before it will surface one day - that one was one of Forth's best, my personal favourite being the jingle which went "Radio Forth, ninety seven point three, super FM stereo, it's Radio Forth (ba-da-dum), Radio FORTH (ba-da-dum!)"

They obviously liked the 1985 news jingle, as they used it with the successor packages right up to the 1990 split.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven, did I send you the MP3 of old Max AM / RFM / Central FM off air jingles?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven, did I send you the MP3 of old Max AM / RFM / Central FM off air jingles?

Just checked my messages - and yes you did. I noticed there were a few Hit Music Radio ones amongst the jingles, and part of the Super FM Stereo one I mentioned a few posts back. It did feature on some websites a few years back but with the final 'ba-da-dum' faded out, which was a pity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know you are an anorak when you go to wild extremes and extreme locations to try and get DX recordings of trade test transmissions for new stations.
  • tini canstini cans Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    You know you're an anorak when you wake up at 5am just to listen to Steve Allen
  • Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or stay up till 1am just to listen to the Shipping forcast followed by R4's closedown and National anthem.
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    as an earlier post - you play the Beatles' "Day in the Life" every August 13th at 2.56 p.m.
    You know instantly whether its a PAMS or a Pepper Tanner jingle.
    You have hours of old jingles
    You learnt Dutch through listening to too much Radio Veronica
    You have three copies of "Man of Action" by Les Reed
    and on....:eek:
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You start talking about masts to your girlfriend.
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a child, the 4 digit pin code to your bike lock was the last 4 digits of Capital FM's telephone number. Anybody? 0171 484 ....
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »

Frankly, it staggers me anyone on this thread ever had one.
  • PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »

Yes that chat up line never fails, especially when maintenance is required! :D

I once got told off by the pc for wearing a BRMB t-shirt when I was working for a different station. :o