Legimitacy? An actual word?

GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm looking at an article from 1997 about the monarchy in light of Princess Diana's death (long story). I've come across the following sentence:

The institution's gathering obsolescence has never been more cruelly exposed than over the last week; its hold on popular sentiment - crucial to its legimitacy - has been severely dented.

Now, is this an actual word, and if so, what does it mean? A quick Google shows it being used elsewhere in a legal/political sense, but no actual definition will come up. It reads to me like it might be to do with the monarchy ongoing into the future through inheritance? But I'd love an actual concise definition.

Or is it just a misspelling of 'legitimacy'?

Comments

• CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    "Legimitacy" does seem to be a proper word, but like you I've been unable, as yet, to find a definition of it.

As per Google it appears in some book titles as well as in the titles of some reports.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for trying :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not a real word, it's a typo.

The real word is legitimacy.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking at an article from 1997 about the monarchy in light of Princess Diana's death (long story). I've come across the following sentence:

The institution's gathering obsolescence has never been more cruelly exposed than over the last week; its hold on popular sentiment - crucial to its legimitacy - has been severely dented.

Now, is this an actual word, and if so, what does it mean? A quick Google shows it being used elsewhere in a legal/political sense, but no actual definition will come up. It reads to me like it might be to do with the monarchy ongoing into the future through inheritance? But I'd love an actual concise definition.

Or is it just a misspelling of 'legitimacy'?

^ This :)
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the word was Legitimacy ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »

It is! The OP saw a typo in an article and thought it might be a real word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    It is! The OP saw a typo in an article and thought it might be a real word.

Well I only thought it was real because it's present on many websites on the internet. It's not a logical misspelling, let's be honest.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for trying :)

Having researched a bit more, in the context of the extract of the article you quoted, it is likely a misprint for "legitimacy" and that word fits the sentence.

Of the Google hits for "legimitacy" I looked closely at, it appears that they are misprints for "legitimacy".

For example, here is a page about a book with the word "legimitacy" in its title:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Politics_of_Legimitacy.html?id=OGzWSAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Here is an Amazon advert for that book but it has "legitimacy in its title"

http://www.amazon.com/Politics-Legitimacy-Struggles-Community-International/dp/071008966X
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »
    Having researched a bit more, in the context of the extract of the article you quoted, it is likely a misprint for "legitimacy" and that word fits the sentence.

Of the Google hits for "legimitacy" I looked closely at, it appears that they are misprints for "legitimacy".

For example, here is a page about a book with the word "legimitacy" in its title:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Politics_of_Legimitacy.html?id=OGzWSAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Here is an Amazon advert for that book but it has "legitimacy in its title"

http://www.amazon.com/Politics-Legitimacy-Struggles-Community-International/dp/071008966X

I thought so, I just thought I'd better check before I altered it. And wanted to be sure before one of my students asked :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I only thought it was real because it's present on many websites on the internet. It's not a logical misspelling, let's be honest.

I wasn't having a pop at you honest! I guess there are so many words in so many articles/websites online, that most misspelt words will produce a number of hits if you Google them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't having a pop at you honest! I guess there are so many words in so many articles/websites online, that most misspelt words will produce a number of hits if you Google them :)

No worries. Very true.

Thanks for your help all.
    Forum Member
    ... I guess there are so many words in so many articles/websites online, that most misspelt words will produce a number of hits if you Google them :)

Good point :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For example, I just Googled 'safistactory', and got lots of hits!

It just shows the dangers of relying on Google to check words/facts. You can't beat a good old fashioned paper dictionary!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It just shows the dangers of relying on Google to check words/facts. You can't beat a good old fashioned paper dictionary!

I was too lazy to get off my bum to get my dictionary :D
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It could be that there are a lot of pages reporting on, or mentioning, the original article. I've seen that happen with other misspelled words, and even with reported "facts".
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »

I'd say it is. I think the other's a misspelling.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'd say it is. I think the other's a misspelling.

Been there, done that, all sorted. :)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »
    Been there, done that, all sorted. :)

Okaaaay.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Okaaaay.

Good. Here's your change 'aaa'. :)
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member

Put "define" before a word and Google acts as a dictionary.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Put "define" before a word and Google acts as a dictionary.

That's a cool way to check dubious words, as it defaults to the correct spelling e.g. searching for "define legimitacy" produces:
    Showing results for define legitimacy
    I]Search instead for define legimitacy[/I
    Search Results

Definition for legitimacy:
    Web definitions:
    lawfulness by virtue of being authorized or in accordance with law.