Options

International Calling costs ..cheapest way!

swillsswills Posts: 4,004
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure if anyone can help, I am going to the Netherlands for a week from 3rd July, but I want to call someone in the USA every day, maybe twice a day, I am with THREE thy say it is £1.84 per min is there a better way at all ?
Thnx

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    for £5 a day three will let you use your home tariff abroad. but that still leaves you paying the cost of a call to the US as you would at home which is still going to be expensive.

you can then use one of those cheap international calls companies. where you buy credit in advance, dial their number first and then the number in the US. (you can program your phone to dial their number, pause and dial the number you want, and then a # or whatever and store it in your contacts.)

assuming you are calling a landline in the US the cost are here: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/usa/mobile/all

if it's a mobile then here:
    http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/usa-mobile/mobile/all

another option might be to pay your £5 a day and use data. skype for example.

there are other options. like a local sim.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you Skype the person in the US? If you can, buy Three's £5 Euro Internet Pass and use Skype to call them each day. It'll also give you internet access for 24 hours at a time.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Can you Skype the person in the US? If you can, buy Three's £5 Euro Internet Pass and use Skype to call them each day. It'll also give you internet access for 24 hours at a time.

Problem is that is only on contract. If you're on PAYG with 3 like me, there is no such option.

We are just back from 2 weeks in Crete (:cry:) and what we did was use an app on my Nexus 4 that ties to our BT landline so we could make calls free. Your mobile has to be connected to wifi to use it though.

Saved us an absolute fortune.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's some apps for phones called Tango and Viber you can both put on your phones and have free calls.

I haven't had a chance to use them myself yet so don't know if it will do the job you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    There's some apps for phones called Tango and Viber you can both put on your phones and have free calls.

I haven't had a chance to use them myself yet so don't know if it will do the job you want.

Ah yes, Viber. Forgot about that! I used to use that years back when it first came out and it worked great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies, but it will be my mobile being used in Holland to a Landline in the USA, the person lives in a bad area for mobile phones :(

Has to be from my mobile to Landline, as in reality I would rather the other half did not hear the calls! :o

so UK Mobile in HOLLAND to Landline USA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you with BT for your landine?
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could sign up with Localphone.

Add a new contact for your friend in the localphone dashboard and it will assign a UK landline number for your contact that you can call from any of the phones you register with Localphone (only you will be able to directly call through this number to your contact as it uses Caller ID).

Cost of Localphone call to US landline/mobile = 0.4p/min.

You'll still have to pay Three's charge to call a UK number from the Netherlands, which seems to be 28.8p/min if i'm reading things right.

Localphone also has numbers in various locations around the Netherlands that you can use with a local SIM to possibly reduce costs further.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks :- just signed up with LOCALPHONE hope it all works OK!!
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    for £5 a day three will let you use your home tariff abroad. but that still leaves you paying the cost of a call to the US as you would at home which is still going to be expensive.

you can then use one of those cheap international calls companies. where you buy credit in advance, dial their number first and then the number in the US. (you can program your phone to dial their number, pause and dial the number you want, and then a # or whatever and store it in your contacts.)

assuming you are calling a landline in the US the cost are here: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/usa/mobile/all

if it's a mobile then here:
    http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/usa-mobile/mobile/all

another option might be to pay your £5 a day and use data. skype for example.

there are other options. like a local sim.

I thought the Three £5 a day was for Internet only, and in a select group of European countries, e.g., not Switzerland.

Vodafone do a similar thing called EuroTraveller for £3 a day - that does give you full access to your home price plan.

My personal favourite is VOIPStunt. It works like Viber only for a small price you can also call and text landlines and mobiles. You also get free minutes to landlines.
  • Options
    natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to give you another (much cheaper) option for direct mobile to landline (or mobile) calling.

I used Toggle mobile in Europe the last couple of times I went. They charge 3p per min to call from the Netherlands to the USA. Also 3p per min to uk/local country.

If your phone is locked to network, buy a cheap Nokia from Argos or Tesco.

They saved me a small fortune when a friend got injured and we had to phone various insurance companies and loved ones.

I hope that helps.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I thought the Three £5 a day was for Internet only, and in a select group of European countries, e.g., not Switzerland.

Switzerland is not in the EU. AFAIK it is the whole EU.

not sure though. i know how the vodafone system works. but not really three.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    swills wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone can help, I am going to the Netherlands for a week from 3rd July, but I want to call someone in the USA every day, maybe twice a day, I am with THREE thy say it is £1.84 per min is there a better way at all ?
    Thnx

Probably a bit late by now but I would say Skype. Use it all the time from abroad from my mobile to call other countries at typically about 1-2p per minute. Just need to put some money on the account.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Switzerland is not in the EU. AFAIK it is the whole EU.

not sure though. i know how the vodafone system works. but not really three.

No but it is in Europe, and most of the networks do include Switzerland, Croatia, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. AFAIK Three do not.

I'm struggling to find the perfect network for my lifestyle. Vodafone were ideal for me as I sometimes work on ships and you're in a different country every day. Unfortunately, their coverage in B14 actually deteriorated over the 2 years I was with them and even the sure signal was glitchy, so I had to leave. Now I'm with three who are superb for me in the UK, but lousy for roaming. EE do some amazing roaming tarrifs but you've got to spend about £36 upwards for that and it's not available as a sim only. I currently pay £10 a month for my tariff so couldn't justify the cost.