Eastern Europeans in your town

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    They're exactly the same as the 'native' population, in that some of them are t*ats and the rest are all right.
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are well fit.

Polish men are absolutely hot! I wouldn't say no! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have quite a few living here, for a small town we have 3 eastern European food shops open up, if you go into the town centre on a Saturday its a case of spot the locals. Even our local summer fair we have has been renamed "multicultural festival", there is quite a lot of tension in the community now due to wages being driven down and the fact the gobble up any available vacancy, things like this http://www.midulstermail.co.uk/news/local-news/moy-man-in-court-over-child-abduction-attempt-in-coagh-1-6093577 also don't help their cause.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike joyce wrote: »
    One word sums them up: Arrogant.

I have no problem with immigration but the Eastern Europeans get on my nerves, especially poles and Slovakians. They make no effort whatsoever to blend into our society, always keeping their own company. I can only speak for myself but if I moved to another country I would at least make an effort to blend into their culture.

A couple of other points that have been mentioned in this thread:

To the person who said they think this is the land of milk and honey. Yes, the do, they think we are weak and a bit of a joke for letting it happen.

To the post about their women. Yes, they may be slimmer but it is a myth that their women are all stunners. And their women are certainly more arrogant than our women.

I agree with you loads of Poles and Slovakians here where we live ,when we lived in our old flat we had poles in the block , they took over the communal garden they lit bonfires and had parties outside ( in the summer time) got drunk and shouted abuse at rest of people in block when we told them to be quiet because we were up early for work!.

They were 10 of them living in a 1 bedroomed flat they did not work but had lots of kids and to be honest they all looked as if they could have done with a shower !
  • Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tons of them slovakian gypsies are living in small back to back houses in bradford. They have turned what used to be a a peaceful and clean area into a shithole with a lot of rubbish dumped in the corner of the street

It even has a council sign put up on the corner saying "NO DUMPING" and yet rubbish is getting piled up everyday. Council has not bothered coming to pick it up.

I work for morrisons factory farmer's boy and generally a lot of the poles and slovakians are nice but a lot of them are moody and arrogant. They dont like talking to anyone other than their own european friends.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Here in Wakefield we have a very sizeable population of EU migrants from the usual countries in Eastern Europe. By and large they have settled here without problems, although they remain in their own communities and I don't see much integration.

There are sometimes 'tensions' in one part of town where their on street drinking upsets the Muslim community. That's about it though.

I love the food shops they have opened and I've become a big fan of their beers.

What's your experiences? Have they been made welcome in your town? Have any issues occurred as a result of them coming to your town?

I agree. The little shop at the bottom of Westgate, I forget the name, is awesome. And they're all so friendly.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    And who cares if they want to stay 'with their own kind', given how unwelcoming and unpleasant some people can be it doesn't surprise me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree about them not integrating. I work with a lot of them and they don't make an effort some can't even speak English, and yes they are arrogant. I watch the women strutting around with there noses in the air, I mean have you had a look in the mirror my dear? I've seen more attractive dogs backsides, now don't get me wrong some are attractive but boy do they know it. I've also noticed they don't mix with other migrant's in fact there is some tension there, the Slovak's don't mix with the Poles for example, they probably see them as a threat for jobs, oh the irony.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    The BIB being the point really, it means that immigrant populations maybe don't integrate as much as they should and populate a small area of the town.
    It doesn't mean that. It means family and friends, and people in similar situations tend to gravitate to the same area. If an area becomes popular with young families we don't assume they are ghettoising the area it refusing to integrate. Because there is less prejudice against the group we work out they live there because the schools se good or Family homes cheaoer or it is a reasonable commute to work etc.

Then when the create services for families the place tends to attract even more... That still doesn't mean they dint integrate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i know polish NHS staff thats true the Greeks also look after elderly relatives and care.

Here in the UK we have a on your bike attitude you move to where the work is, many elderly people do not have sons/daughters that live many miles away from them.
    .:(

Have you worked out that whilst they are here looking after our elderly fir a pittance that begs the question of who is looking after theirs?

They've got on their bikes and come here - leaving their aged alone and without a system as comprehensive as the UK. Just like the Caribbean and Filipino carers before them....
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    They go there because German food is similar to Polish food.

It's mostly German food in Lidl, outside of the usual supermarket stuff. Lidl is a German company, not Polish, just like Aldi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidl
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

Kiełbasa Krajana and Kabanosy are sausages. Poledwica Cyganska is a smoked bacon.

All Polish and all tasty. All available in Lidl, among others. :)
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am baffled .I posted a post last night mentioning politely that the British have also wandered around Europe and settled in Spain and that perhaps the Spanish feel the same about that in some towns . People shift and move around Europe all the time , including the British and Irish and Turks and Italians .
    I see nothing wrong in that point and yet it was removed ?
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I am baffled .I posted a post last night mentioning politely that the British have also wandered around Europe and settled in Spain and that perhaps the Spanish feel the same about that in some towns . People shift and move around Europe all the time , including the British and Irish and Turks and Italians .
    I see nothing wrong in that point and yet it was removed ?
    Did you quote any posts which may have been removed. Or as it was part of a discussion relating to deleted posts to make the thread easier to read some posts are usually removed I think.
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Did you quote any posts which may have been removed. Or as it was part of a discussion relating to deleted posts to make the thread easier to read some posts are usually removed I think.

Nah,a lot of the posts from today and yesterday have gone,mine around 1040 today and some others before that are no longer there--this was a busy thread with a lot of uploads I`m sure when I sat at my computer just after 1000 today.

The Polish food comment at 1022 hardly makes sense since the thread seems to have lost posts mentioning Polish/German food. Maybe it`s a glitch.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »

I think it was a stand alone post but maybe I did quote one . Odd as I dont see anything wrong at all in my point of view .
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Here in Wakefield we have a very sizeable population of EU migrants from the usual countries in Eastern Europe. By and large they have settled here without problems, although they remain in their own communities and I don't see much integration.

There are sometimes 'tensions' in one part of town where their on street drinking upsets the Muslim community. That's about it though.

I love the food shops they have opened and I've become a big fan of their beers.

What's your experiences? Have they been made welcome in your town? Have any issues occurred as a result of them coming to your town?

We have a sizeable Polish community. About 10 of them live in the three bedroom house two doors down from us. They are quite disruptive, especially around payday. Drinking, shouting fighting in the street. Music blasting from morning until early hours. They have woke me up several time at 3/4 in the morning shouting. They can't even talk quietly.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody would think Eastern Europeans are something new in the UK. Poles have been here a long time, tens of thousands of them come to live here after the war. All large towns and cities in the UK have Polish community centres which have existed since the forties and fifties.
    I myself am the son of a Ukrainian, who have also had a smaller community here since the war.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    None at all where I live. Yet most of the folks there voted Ukip last month to keep it that way.

It's also the dullest place on earth.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a fairly large Polish community in our town, although we have always had a Polish presence since the end of WW2, and they seem polite enough. I've never had any problem with them, although they do get shouty with each other when they've had a few too many Tyskie's:D

One thing I have notice about Eastern European women is that after they've given birth they quickly regain their figures while the British lasses are all fat and dumpy. Their fashion sense is much better as well. Polish women wear jeans and tops which accentuate their curves, have well applied makeup and generally look like models, while British women plod about slothenly in unflattering sweatpants, loose tops that show their saggy, swaying bosoms and puffing on a ciggie, swearing at their screaming kids.

What gives:confused:

I watched a documentary about wealthy Russians living in London and all the women said that looks and clothes were very important to them. In eastern Europe they said that opportunities for careers and earning were limited, so their best hope of a better life was to attract the attention of a successful, wealthy man - and the best way to do this was by constantly keeping themselves groomed and thin, in the hope of outshining other women.
    Sounds as though it's a cultural value they've carried over here. It's good to look well groomed, but I've seen some who look permanently over-dressed and as though they are going clubbing when they are just popping to the local shops.

I have no problem with eastern europeans. The only time I found them to be intimidating was when they came to watch a football match at a local stadium (think Warsaw were playing) and the streets were full of drunken men who all seemed to have tattooes and shaved heads, shouting slogans. It was 4pm on a Tuesday and there were an awful lots of them on pub crawls. Gangs of drunken men are never going to be anything less than intimidating!
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Poles, Slovakians and other immigrants from Eastern Europe will keep coming to the UK. No doubt about it. I understand that they have their own ways that are different to what people in the UK are used to, and I understand how many would like to see the immigrants assimilated into the british society and way of life. Many of the immigrants seem as if they don't want to assimilate, but it's very hard to assimilate if they for one can't speak english well, and when they are not accepted by the locals. You have to do more to help immigrants assimilate by accepting them and help them learn the language and understand the british way of life better. It's only natural that they are avoiding brits if they can see they are not welcome and people are looking at them differently. So, if you want them to assimilate into society, help them by embracing them, and not push them away.
  • knorrstarknorrstar Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    There is a cafe just down the road from where I live where the waitress is Estonian and she is one of the prettiest looking women I have ever seen for a very long time, and she puts many other women I have seen in my area to great shame in terms of beauty. She has that very stereotypical tall and slim look, and she has red hair.

She is very fluent in both English and Russian, and because I am trying to improve my Russian speaking skills, I try to have conversations with her in Russian.

Of course, she can speak Russian much better than I will ever be able to speak it in my whole life. :(
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    We have a fair amount of Eastern European people, there don't seem to be ghettos, so they mix in pretty well.
    Personally I am more than happy to have them here, for whenever I have encountered them,mostly in the service industry, they have always seemed to be happy ,helpful and pleasant,and scarily efficient, one girl in Costa insisted on carrying my tray to my table the other day because I was carrying a couple of bags of shopping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also noticed they don't mix with other migrant's in fact there is some tension there, the Slovak's don't mix with the Poles for example, they probably see them as a threat for jobs, oh the irony.
    In one particularly funny conversation a Romanian I know was complaining about having to live with Romanies - bitterly.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    ... I've also noticed they don't mix with other migrant's in fact there is some tension there, the Slovak's don't mix with the Poles for example, they probably see them as a threat for jobs, oh the irony.

There's a lot of fighting between Slovaks and Albanians here and when I say fight I mean fight, knives 'n all.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Up here in Gtr Manchester we have an increasing number of Polish families and I couldn't be happier . They all seem lovely and friendly and have a great work ethic .