Options

Whatever happened to football songs?

JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I remember it used to be that every FA Cup final and every world cup there were always a bunch of awesomely terrible (with one or two exceptions) songs by football teams released.

Whatever happened to these?
When did they stop?
Whats the deal?

Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You answered your own question. They were awful.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good one was "Spurs are no their way to Wembly":D:D

With Ossie Ardiles sining in " In the cup for Tottenham" in an argentinian accent.:D:D:o

Its so bad its cringeworthy in a good way.;-)
  • Options
    JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

So is R&B. Awfulness is no barrier to music being made
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josquius wrote: »
    So is R&B. Awfulness is no barrier to music being made

Well that's different. Many like R&B and it sells well. I think most would agree that most footy songs apart from New Order and The Three Lions one were pretty naff.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of football related songs around, now mostly performed by indie bands. Try

Fast forward:an indie music companion to world cup 2010, which is a song by an artist from each of the countries involved

Offside by Drugstore, Brazilian singer making fun of English football

World cup by Yellow melodies, Spanish band singing about winning the world cup
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's different. Many like R&B and it sells well. I think most would agree that most footy songs apart from New Order and The Three Lions one were pretty naff.

I liked Ant and Dec "On the Ball"
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The year of France98 there was hundreds. Most of them very good too but since then most of the efforts have been dire and now they are hardly any.

Vindaloo - Fat Les will always be my fave
  • Options
    SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go here for an awesome football song and video to go with it. :):):)

God bless you and the singer always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I remember Ant and Dec's We're On The Ball. Wasn't it for the World Cup a few years back or something? I still have the CD single somewhere :blush:
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    Didn't The FA not commission an official one in 2010 so as it didn't distract the players or some other ridiculous, clutching at straws reason?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a rather good one on TV tonight, written and sung by a young girl. Can't remember if it was on Notts TV, East Midlands Today or The One Show.
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    There was a rather good one on TV tonight, written and sung by a young girl. Can't remember if it was on Notts TV, East Midlands Today or The One Show.

It was on 'The One Show'. The song was by 'Britain's Got Talent' finalist Gabz, who had a Top 10 single last year with self-penned song 'Lighters'.
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Ant and Dec's We're On The Ball. Wasn't it for the World Cup a few years back or something? I still have the CD single somewhere :blush:

Yeah, it was the official England song for the 2002 World Cup
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blossom85 wrote: »
    It was on 'The One Show'. The song was by 'Britain's Got Talent' finalist Gabz, who had a Top 10 single last year with self-penned song 'Lighters'.
    That spoils it a bit in some way. I thought it was just an unknown schoolkid who'd managed to get a video made.

It's quite an achievement though, to get a song released at the moment which isn't trashed by idiotic voice processing.

Here's a version without an annoying advert at the front of it.
    http://www.thecomet.net/news/video_britain_s_got_talent_finalist_gabz_releases_2014_fifa_world_cup_song_1_3607166
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omid Djalili has done a quite good England song this year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usi1WIoyIG8
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Thankfully USA Soccer Guy has kept the traditional alive for the Soccer World Series 2014 with this awesome contribution!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEgWxfI03lc
  • Options
    peter_speter_s Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1970 England world cup squad singing Back Home is my favourite world cup song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLpyriMOttA
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I liked Ant and Dec "On the Ball"

I loved that one...:blush:
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the big England song has died in recent years because nobody has the delusion England can actually win an international tournament anymore and nobody respects or believes in the players anymore either cause we can see they're all overrated and overpaid. They don't do anything to deserve a inspiring song.

Back in the 90's and before then it was almost as if a great song like World in Motion or Three Lions on the Shirt seemed to lift the team and we could dare to dream England might actually win it on some of their performances. There seemed to be a real spirit back then. All gone now.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best ones which are actually to do with football are Baddiel and Skinner then Fat Les. I remember afew years ago in Mexico on a night out in Coco Bongos (Nightclub in Cancun) they played the Fat Les song and all the English were all singing and dancing to it, the Americans looked truly horrified!!

Unofficial songs always seem appropriate especially with England's record - Chumbawamba tubthumping and Oasis stop crying your heart out spring to mind!!

As a side note, has anybody heard Scott Mills and 5SOS song? I actually quite like it. It's better than Gary Barlows pathetic remix of greatest day
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the big England song has died in recent years because nobody has the delusion England can actually win an international tournament anymore and nobody respects or believes in the players anymore either cause we can see they're all overrated and overpaid. They don't do anything to deserve a inspiring song.

Back in the 90's and before then it was almost as if a great song like World in Motion or Three Lions on the Shirt seemed to lift the team and we could dare to dream England might actually win it on some of their performances. There seemed to be a real spirit back then. All gone now.

Absolutely spot on post.

I remember back in 1996, 3 Lions would some on and the whole pub would erupt,singing along and waving their arms like they were on a football terrace. Nowadays, I doubt most would even bother putting their drinks down
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, most people too concerned with playing games on their mobile phone or texting their friends to tell them they're going to the toilet
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Blossom85 wrote: »
    Yeah, it was the official England song for the 2002 World Cup

That's right! I really must dig out the CD. It'll still be ok to play it this year I presume? :p I've got it somewhere :blush:
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

World In Motion was a genuinely good song . That could have been a single even if the lyrics were changed. Same with Three Lions. Those songs were an exception to the rule though
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are novelty songs that are rubbish and cost too much to make.