Options

Danger Mouse set to return with new episodes !

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
The much-loved animated TV hero Danger Mouse is to make a comeback.

The cartoon series, which ran for more than a decade until it ended in 1992, will make his return next year when it is screened by CBBC

Whilst it won't be the same without Terry Scott, I am looking forward to this, providing they don't make him all CGI.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-06-17/new-danger-mouse-episodes-to-air-on-british-tv/

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and thus another part of my childhood is killed....
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Penfold, shush!"

:D
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure my feelings on this, a Classic TV show is gonna get ruined.

They will be CGI ing Captain Pugwash soon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I hope they don't make Colonel K or Baron Greenback look pretty & all that shite. And if they change the theme tune to make it sound more current...>:(>:(
  • Options
    IcePhoenixIcePhoenix Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    If they reuse the old he's the fastest etc lyrics, I don't mind what the new the new theme tune might sound like. :)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The much-loved animated TV hero Danger Mouse is to make a comeback.

The cartoon series, which ran for more than a decade until it ended in 1992, will make his return next year when it is screened by CBBC

Whilst it won't be the same without Terry Scott, I am looking forward to this, providing they don't make him all CGI.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-06-17/new-danger-mouse-episodes-to-air-on-british-tv/

That would be just wrong, they ruined Scooby Doo with that, he was the wrong colour and just not right.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    So what's happening with the voices?
    Are they just going to use impressions of the previous cast or have new voices for the new generation?

So there wouldn't be much point in older people tuning in for nostalgia sake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booooooooooooooo!

Yeah great way to ruin yet another childhood classic of mine.

So kids TV needs Dangermouse to cater for a new audience ok then air the damn classic episodes!
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They said they won't be using too much CGI as its not needed.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not being made for the 40 year olds who were kids in 1980 it's being made for today's youngsters which means it will be different in style and tone.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booooooooooooooo!

Yeah great way to ruin yet another childhood classic of mine.

So kids TV needs Dangermouse to cater for a new audience ok then air the damn classic episodes!
    You know what the key word is here? Childhood. Yours (and mine!) were a long time ago. I honestly don't see what difference remaking a cartoon from that period makes to you, me or anyone else that enjoyed it. If it's decent, cool. If it ain't, who cares, it won't impact on the quality of the original cartoon, right? And be completely honest, how often do you watch old Danger Mouse these days anway?

As usual, any talk of a remake/reboot/re-imagining is met with the same Daily Mail'esque righteous indignation that old things must STAY IN THE PAST!! It's bloody lucky people never felt that way a few hundred years ago, cos Shakespeare's legacy would have been a lot shorter. And classical music... Nope, you can't re-record that or perform it again, it won't be as good as the original!!

As for airing the 'classic episodes' again, that wouldn't work. As good as we remember the show being, it's of its time. In the same way that kids of our/my generation wouldn't have watched a lot of cartoons/children's telly from the 1950's if they had aired them during the 80's.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    It's not being made for the 40 year olds who were kids in 1980 it's being made for today's youngsters which means it will be different in style and tone.
    This.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Are the original episodes not apporpriate for today's youngsters?

Is the style and tone not acceptable? Was there topical or un PC content in them that today's youngsters should not see?
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »

Oh I don't know. Many of my generation (1990s/2000s) used to watch repeats of Scooby Doo, Wacky Races, Mr Benn, Dangermouse, Rentaghost, Funky Phantom and even old Looney Tunes shows and they were quite successful. They repeated Dangermouse about 6/7 years ago on CBBC, so I see no reason why they can't do that again. Why go to all the expense of making new shows when repeating old ones - which haven't dated that much if how popular this is with my nephews and neices at my grandma's is anything to go by - is much cheaper and just as effective?

There's a difference between updating an old show to a modern audience (see Doctor Who) and ruining it (see Postman Pat modern version), because ruining it doesn';t mean updating, it means losing the appeal that the shows had.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Are the original episodes not apporpriate for today's youngsters?

Is the style and tone not acceptable? Was there topical or un PC content in them that today's youngsters should not see?

Yes but as a late 30 something I watch the old scooby doo fine, the old looney tunes fine, the new scooby doo with a romance between Velma and Shaggy NO, the new looney tunes with modern jokes NO.

We have a different generational outlook to the current youngsters, so no the tone and style are no right, it's nothing to do with PC as someone else said when I was 6 or 7 I didn't want to watch Andy Pandy or Flowerpot Men it wasn't my generation.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why they always try to remake old popular shows/movies how often is it successful? seems to flop everytime..

Childhood ruined >:(

Use to love that and Inspector Gadget.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    You know what the key word is here? Childhood. Yours (and mine!) were a long time ago. I honestly don't see what difference remaking a cartoon from that period makes to you, me or anyone else that enjoyed it. If it's decent, cool. If it ain't, who cares, it won't impact on the quality of the original cartoon, right? And be completely honest, how often do you watch old Danger Mouse these days anway?

As usual, any talk of a remake/reboot/re-imagining is met with the same Daily Mail'esque righteous indignation that old things must STAY IN THE PAST!! It's bloody lucky people never felt that way a few hundred years ago, cos Shakespeare's legacy would have been a lot shorter. And classical music... Nope, you can't re-record that or perform it again, it won't be as good as the original!!

As for airing the 'classic episodes' again, that wouldn't work. As good as we remember the show being, it's of its time. In the same way that kids of our/my generation wouldn't have watched a lot of cartoons/children's telly from the 1950's if they had aired them during the 80's.

Because they should leave well enough alone. Make your own ideas up dont ruin the legacy of a show by ruining it with a remake like they did with the a-team film.

Thankfully the DVDs of the classic series are avaliable in the shops & ill be buying 10 copies of the dvds to send to friends who have kids who can enjoy the real version.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Because they should leave well enough alone. Make your own ideas up dont ruin the legacy of a show by ruining it with a remake like they did with the a-team film.

Thankfully the DVDs of the classic series are avaliable in the shops & ill be buying 10 copies of the dvds to send to friends who have kids who can enjoy the real version.

BIB Yes, I'm sure you will (insert rolleyes here), then you woke up and fell out of bed.
    You seem to be taking over Billy Value's job on here of posting, for the sake of it.
  • Options
    JudgeFudgeJudgeFudge Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    That's my generations cartoon, get your own bleedin cartoons.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Radio 4 aired a doc back in 2013 Crikey DM - David Jasons Tribute To Cosgrove Hall.
    They were trying to bring the program back then, starting up Cosgrove Hall again, but with Hall Jr as Hall has died IIRC.
    The creators can do what they like with the characters, including updating/reviving them after a lay off, they want.
    Doesn't mean old giffers have to watch it, nor like it.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure my feelings on this, a Classic TV show is gonna get ruined.

They will be CGI ing Captain Pugwash soon

Too late they already did a CGI Captain Pugwash about five years ago.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always show my nephews old kids programmes. They prefer them to the ones on these days, all the kids shows are absolutely shocking and very childish. I put on Fireman Sam (the older series) and the show was witty and I loved it, so did they! I then tried the newest one that is recorded.... It is diabolical. Very babyish and crap CGI, looks very cheap. They aren't quite the age for Cartoon Network type shows yet, they watch more CBeebies age things sometimes - although both watch little tv and prefer playing. Danger Mouse is a favourite of mine and it wasn't my era, but was shown whe I was a kid. Usually shown late at night on Cartoon Network/Boomerang with other classics so I recorded or watched weekends and during school holidays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB Yes, I'm sure you will (insert rolleyes here), then you woke up and fell out of bed.
    You seem to be taking over Billy Value's job on here of posting, for the sake of it.

If I have to I will provide a recipt of it aswell.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    There's a difference between updating an old show to a modern audience (see Doctor Who) and ruining it (see Postman Pat modern version), because ruining it doesn';t mean updating, it means losing the appeal that the shows had.

I think part of the problem with Postman Pat (and Thomas) is that they tried to invent a million new characters, so that there were a million new product marketing opportunities. I'm sure that's what killed off Brum....
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed the irony that this is being heralded by ITV news, but barely rated a mention on the BBC news website?

I'm pretty sure Penfold's catchphrase was 'Crumbs Chief' rather than 'Crumbs DM' as quoted in the ITV article (IMMIC)