Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leinxus wrote: »
    I thought Hamilton was bad, Vettel just takes the biscuit...

They're as bad as each other. Alonso isn't much better either.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Woah...Vettel sulking and moaning like a child. Bloody hell...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vettel's move on Alonso was brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woah...Vettel sulking and moaning like a child. Bloody hell...

THAT was definitely Alonso.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Alonso going mental about Vettel allegedly using DRS when he isn't supposed to now.

Pressure getting to both of them, I guess. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are the BBC saying that Hamilton would have caught Rosberg? The latter had a problem!

But congratulations, Lewis! :)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vittel and Alonso were hilarious - such lack of grace.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Que Hamilton love in, as if all his past silliness never happened.
    Forum Member
    Great result for Lewis. :D

Terrific job from Bottas as well, and nice to see Button hang on to 4th too.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only Hamilton could be... even just vaguely likeable... It'd be nice to cheer for a Brit doing well at something.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    Yes, great result. This mostly (but not entirely) equalises the DNF points lost by Hamilton and Rosberg. I don't think anyone would want the champion to be determined by DNFs, things are almost as they should be now, pretty equal between them, within one 1-2 race result.

There's no way of stopping that German National Anthem though, whatever Hamilton does!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    If only Button could have nabbed third. How Ricciardo did so many laps on his tyres I'll never know.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    williams96 wrote: »
    If only Button could have nabbed third. How Ricciardo did so many laps on his tyres I'll never know.

Adrian Newey.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Lewis' hair: NO! just NO!

:D
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    If only Hamilton could be... even just vaguely likeable... It'd be nice to cheer for a Brit doing well at something.

Do you have to be likeable, some of the best sports people have very much flawed characters, he's a Brit, likeable or not I will still cheer a Brit.

I really ( really really ) dislike button, but would have been great to see him on the podium,
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have to be likeable, some of the best sports people have very much flawed characters, he's a Brit, likeable or not I will still cheer a Brit.

I really ( really really ) dislike button, but would have been great to see him on the podium,

I find likeability far more important than nationality.
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »

Plenty of people seem to be managing it just fine.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Sorry for gate crashing.....

What has happened to the Gold Cup/Trophy that is normall presented (British Maybe) winners?
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they had an hour to fix the car why could Massa not restart? Is there now some rule denying them restarting. Not really followed F1 that closely for a long time so may have missed that. There seems to be an awful lot of new rules these days. Also they used to have a spare car available are they banned now as well?
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Impossible to express in words just what that victory meant to Lewis Hamilton.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    If they had an hour to fix the car why could Massa not restart? Is there now some rule denying them restarting. Not really followed F1 that closely for a long time so may have missed that. There seems to be an awful lot of new rules these days. Also they used to have a spare car available are they banned now as well?

It has always been the rule in F1 that, if a race has been red flagged (stopped) any cars/drivers that have retired from the race prior to the red flag cannot take part in race once the race has restarted. Therefore, Williams even if they could repair Massa's car could not take part in the restarted race.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Why are the BBC saying that Hamilton would have caught Rosberg? The latter had a problem!

But congratulations, Lewis! :)

Did you even watch the race? :confused:
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    It has always been the rule in F1 that, if a race has been red flagged (stopped) any cars/drivers that have retired from the race prior to the red flag cannot take part in race once the race has restarted. Therefore, Williams even if they could repair Massa's car could not take part in the restarted race.

So Massa just made the mistake of retiring to early? before they knew of the need to repair the barrier. As I can remember the start of the 1998 Belgian GP at Spa where there was a massive pile up at the start. Lots of cars were involved some were repaired for the restart and some took the spare car.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »

IN the old days teams had a spare car so if there was a red flag drivers could restart in the spare car (if the original race had gone no further than 2 laps before being red-flagged). It was effectively a new race in this situation.

If both drivers in a team had accidents that resulted in damage, then they had to fight over which driver got the spare car at the restart. THe other one had to miss the restart if the original car couldn't be repaired in time.

I remember Austria in 1987. There were three starts in that race. Some drivers had to miss the race because of mass pile-ups at the start in the first two starts.

The old Osterrichring was a very narrow track which caused problems.

Stefan Johansson damaged him McLaren by hitting a loose deer in practice for that
    year's race too!

Like you say the original start in the 1998 Belgian GP was chaos too!

However, nowadays the race is not restarted from scratch.
    It is just stopped and starts again under the safety car.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Wonderful drive by Bottas! Really pleased for him :D