Options

Gaming TV channels set for shake up.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,447
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=73186777#post73186777

I've linked to this thread from broadcasting as I thought that gamers might be interested in the news about the possible closure of one gaming channel and the opening of another :)

Comments

• Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to hear that Ginx is in trouble, but good news if the rebrand of 5+24 is true. Ginx is currently only available on Virgin Media, so this could increase gaming coverage on British TV significantly. Spike TV or something similar would be very welcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear that Ginx is in trouble, but good news if the rebrand of 5+24 is true. Ginx is currently only available on Virgin Media, so this could increase gaming coverage on British TV significantly. Spike TV or something similar would be very welcome.

I am informed that Ginx got a good deal in order to broadcast on VM. Apparently, they have been asking people to lobby Sky to get them on their platform. Not sure what good that will do with the requirements for Sky to treat inclusion on the EPG in a "Fair, reasonable and non discriminatory" manner.

Ginx HD is also said to have been put on the back burner for now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am informed that Ginx got a good deal in order to broadcast on VM. Apparently, they have been asking people to lobby Sky to get them on their platform. Not sure what good that will do with the requirements for Sky to treat inclusion on the EPG in a "Fair, reasonable and non discriminatory" manner.

Ginx HD is also said to have been put on the back burner for now.

I suspect the biggest problem with getting Ginx on Sky is the lack of available SD channel slots, and when they do come up they command a hefty price tag. All the lobbying in the world isn't going is change that.

A new channel taking over 5+24 (which surely was only ever intended as a placeholder and not a serious channel) would be able to get on Sky, Virgin, Freeview and Freesat with no trouble at all.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaming TV is terrible and obsolete nowadays. The problem with it is that you already know all the 'news' as you probably go to an online website to get it. There are also reviews that thanks to the internet can sometimes be seen for a game before it comes out. There is invariably some twentysomething gaming girl who has a messy updo and demin hotpants and tights. Often they are terrible presenters and you cant help thinking they arent passionate enough. The other presenters always feel the need to crack awful jokes or mess about.
    I think if you are going to have a gaming show or channel you have to do something to the format to make it relevent to none gamers. I remember watching games master on Ch4 in the 90s. My Mum used to enjoy that and we would watch as a family.
    There are too many videos on youtube., too many reviews and too many lets play videos.
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Gaming TV is terrible and obsolete nowadays. The problem with it is that you already know all the 'news' as you probably go to an online website to get it.

I think the thing with that is it's up to the channel itself to generate its own news through interviews, analysis etc- the UK is probably the worst (English-speaking) country in the world to do that in, unfortunately.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already subscribe to loads of gaming channels on YouTube which I then watch on my TV in HD at my leisure, I don't see the point of a gaming TV channel TBH especially if it's only SD.

TBH I watch so little live TV nowadays, only stuff like sport. The rest I watch on catchup services.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Gaming TV is terrible and obsolete nowadays. The problem with it is that you already know all the 'news' as you probably go to an online website to get it. There are also reviews that thanks to the internet can sometimes be seen for a game before it comes out. There is invariably some twentysomething gaming girl who has a messy updo and demin hotpants and tights. Often they are terrible presenters and you cant help thinking they arent passionate enough. The other presenters always feel the need to crack awful jokes or mess about.
    I think if you are going to have a gaming show or channel you have to do something to the format to make it relevent to none gamers. I remember watching games master on Ch4 in the 90s. My Mum used to enjoy that and we would watch as a family.
    There are too many videos on youtube., too many reviews and too many lets play videos.

I disagree. All your points are valid for gaming magazines but there's no reason why all the news broadcasted counldnt be up to date like the normal news.

No more trawling various entertainment websites looking for the latest news, or going through all the shit videos on YouTube until you find the one you want.

It could work, but like you said, you need great presenters. Like any tv programme they have to be charismatic and know what they're talking about as opposed to just reading from the teleprompter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything that promotes gaming to a wider audience, encouraging investment and innovation, can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see some youtube gaming channels hit TV.

MarkiPlier AngryJoe and just recently TotalBiscuit are some of my faves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything that promotes gaming to a wider audience, encouraging investment and innovation, can only be a good thing.

I don't think that will happen until a major TV channel does a weekly gaming show. I would like to see more Gameswipe or something similar.

Also SD is pointless for showing games this gen, it needs to be HD or nothing.
  • Options
    Raj_91Raj_91 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm remembering Game Network and Gamezville. Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's a show that airs on Challenge on Sunday Mornings called "VideoGame Nation", it's pretty meh though. If a gaming channel does launch on Sky, it would be nice to see it in HD and if they can have live feeds to all of the press conferences, similar to what Spike TV do during E3 but more conferences :D
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginxtv aint too bad tbf it could do with more programming but i believe they are working on that.
    The presenters themselves are keen gamers which is a huge plus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Used to be one on Challenge but it disappeared
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the biggest problem with getting Ginx on Sky is the lack of available SD channel slots, and when they do come up they command a hefty price tag. All the lobbying in the world isn't going is change that.

A new channel taking over 5+24 (which surely was only ever intended as a placeholder and not a serious channel) would be able to get on Sky, Virgin, Freeview and Freesat with no trouble at all.

Very true, I never thought of that.
    Raj_91 wrote: »
    I'm remembering Game Network and Gamezville. Not sure if it's been mentioned but there's a show that airs on Challenge on Sunday Mornings called "VideoGame Nation", it's pretty meh though. If a gaming channel does launch on Sky, it would be nice to see it in HD and if they can have live feeds to all of the press conferences, similar to what Spike TV do during E3 but more conferences :D

These rumours were the first time I had ever heard of Spike TV. Where is it currently broadcast and what does it show?

I had assumed that it was a gaming channel, but in the linked to thread at the top, it has been said that it is a male skewed channel like ITV4.
    Used to be one on Challenge but it disappeared

The rumoured new channel may be called Game Trailer TV.

I am informed that the branding will be taken from an existing show of the same name, so I assume that's still on air :confused:
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member

I am informed that the branding will be taken from an existing show of the same name, so I assume that's still on air :confused:

Martin is referring tothat there used to be a games programme on Challenge. There still is, incidentally, at Too Early To Succeed on a Sunday morning- although it's from the Ginx stable, IIRC.

It's the third (I think) show they've had, it tends to drop off the face of the channel between rebrands.

Game Trailers TV is still on (as in, it's not been cancelled- I'm not sure a series is running right now) on Spike in the US.
  • Options
    Raj_91Raj_91 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true, I never thought of that.

These rumours were the first time I had ever heard of Spike TV. Where is it currently broadcast and what does it show?

I had assumed that it was a gaming channel, but in the linked to thread at the top, it has been said that it is a male skewed channel like ITV4.

Spike TV? That is a channel over in the states. I'm not too sure what they show apart from TNA Wrestling, VGX/Spike Video Game Awards and live E3 coverage/press conferences with GameTrailers. I believe Spike TV's audience consist of teen/adult males, so a lot of shows aimed at the male audience.

If it is GameTrailers TV, that'd be great, hopefully they'll show the press conferences and VGX like they do on Spike TV and in HD. I don't visit the GameTrailers website that often apart from when it's E3, VGX or some other gaming event occuring but apparently there are some pretty decent/funny gaming shows on there.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Click on the BBC did a really nice programme of what was going on at E3 this week. COvered lots of ground and had some interesting articles.
    The major problem is that gaming is no longer new. In 1992 when Games Master started consoles were pretty mainstream but reasonably new, the Amiga was a firm favourite and although we had seen the likes of consoles before they were not breaking boundries like they were on mega drive and SNES. The Playstation came out in 1994 and we still play games the same as we did in 1994. Yes the graphics are better but the gameplay is the same and I think it is lack of innovation that makes games shows unpopular nowadays.
    Also I think there is an age demographic to consider. In the early 90s when gaming shows were more popular most gamers were kids. Theres a reason why the average age of a gamer is early thirties because they started playing when they were kids and have carried on. And lets not forget how expensive owning a console was back then. at the launch of Mega Drive the cost was £190 which is £400 in todays money. Not many families could justify the cost. It's different now as many families also have a parent who games so the cost is shared but back then you were buying for your children. SO watching others play or seeing reviews was having a glimpse into a world that might not be possible. At least if you didnt own a console you could chat to your mates about them the next day at school.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I like how Click does it. They only do games sometimes but when they do it's pretty good and I think that format works well. Not cringeworthy at all unlike some things I've seen on TV and they make it quite accessible.

It would be nice to see games be more visible on TV. I think the industry suffers in a way since a lot of people don't hear about video games outside of when a major game like Grand Theft Auto V is released and gets a very brief mention on news channels.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so

why not show THEM then?

hundreds of hours of content, constantly updated and added too
  • Options
    Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Ginx is a decent channel. I like all the current presenters. My only gripe is that they have a show on there called "Planet of the Apps" which has nothing to do with games. It goes against the channel's claim to be 100% about gaming.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Let's face it. The peak of game coverage on TV was Gamesmaster. Nothing has come close since. It just doesnt translate into a proper *show*.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Let's face it. The peak of game coverage on TV was Gamesmaster. Nothing has come close since. It just doesnt translate into a proper *show*.

Yeah I have fond memories of Games Master, was a great show, should never have been cancelled.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I don't think it would work, as I think games industry and the audience themselves have become incredibly fragmented.

How many websites do Eurogamer/Gamer Network have? If we can get an channel that includes all that content, it could work, but it has to be done very well.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raj_91 wrote: »

Ive just sat through that :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Ive just sat through that :(

I've only seen it once. That was enough. Woeful.