Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 1 (US-Pace)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ABC
September 24th :D

Agent Phil Coulson puts together a small team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to handle strange new cases. Each case will test the team in cooperation and ingenuity as they try to work together figuring out newly emerging superhuman individuals in the world.

Cobie Smulders will reprise her role ass Agent Maria Hill in the Pilot.. :D

Comments

• kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be a sweet gig playing Coulson.

Even when you are seemingly killed off the work still keeps coming in.

Looking forward to this anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    It must be a sweet gig playing Coulson.

Even when you are seemingly killed off the work still keeps coming in.

Looking forward to this anyway.
    I never got the love for Coulson..

He never even striked me as memorable and I wasn't bothered that he was "killed" in the Avengers .
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been planning on watching this, but after learning it's set in the same universe as various films, I'll need to binge-watch them first. :o

I'll just watch them in the order they were released (so, Iron Man, then The Incredible Hulk), etc. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been planning on watching this, but after learning it's set in the same universe as various films, I'll need to binge-watch them first. :o

I'll just watch them in the order they were released (so, Iron Man, then The Incredible Hulk), etc. :)
    I'm only planing on watching The Avengers before... maybe Iron Man 3 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 weeks left..
    bumping threads to remind people f upcoming shows...
    I really make alot of threads lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 weeks :)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <bump>

Season premiere is tonight in the US :)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    <bump>

Season premiere is tonight in the US :)

The episode is out.

I do like Cobie Smulders in that outfit.

Looks like something is up with Agent Coulson.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't help think it'll have a lot of comparisons with 'Heroes'.

But should come out favourably.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished watching the first episode and it was underwhelming. The look and the "feel" of the show is not extravagant. With the tremendous amount of money spent on the pilot episode alone you're not going to be wowed by anything onscreen. The show just felt average. And the writing is surprisingly weak (Although I did chuckle at how Coulson makes his first appearance).

It's too soon to say if this show is going to be good or not so I'll just keep watching and hope that it improves. The previews for upcoming episodes look promising.

And regarding Agent Coulson's return, they don't tell you how he survived his fate from THE AVENGERS (that's going to be an ongoing mystery that will be played out through the season) but I have a sneaking suspicion that he didn't. I think S.H.I.E.L.D. may have cloned him.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was going to wait till Sunday (when it's on RTE) but will probably watch both this week to see if there are any edits in the RTE version.

So will see this tomorrow (well later today).
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a big comic book fan, so I'll check this out when I have the time. Looking forward to reading the feedback on here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people will be disappointed. I knew what the show was going to be before it aired, so I went into it without any expectations and found it relatively enjoyable in the same way I found Heroes enjoyable up until the first season.

Other people will probably be expecting a TV version of the movies/comic books, and while there will be plenty of nods to the films/comics to keep them entertained at first, ultimately, I think some people will be disappointed with the direction of the show. It's essentially a procedural set within the Marvel universe - a straight forward Villain of the Week format, most of whom are going to be new. The best Marvel stories and characters are always going to remain in the movies. The show will borrow from the Marvel universe, but it's definitely going to do its own thing rather than adapt stories from the Marvel universe. They're simply using the Marvel universe to draw people in.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it.
    Nick Fury' s ****ing flying car!!!

Awesome!!
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    And regarding Agent Coulson's return, they don't tell you how he survived his fate from THE AVENGERS (that's going to be an ongoing mystery that will be played out through the season) but I have a sneaking suspicion that he didn't. I think S.H.I.E.L.D. may have cloned him.
    I must admit, that seems more and more likely every time I think about it.

Can't remember the place it was, but the location where he spent some time prior to his reassignment? Could have been the time he was grown. Would also explain why Coulson can't ever know the truth. The problem I have with the whole cloning thing though, they could essentially do that with any deceased agent. Someone dies, clone them and carry on.

I hope it's something else, but I can't think what else would require some internal secret that he can't be made aware of. :confused: How would an Asgard Sword (or whatever it was that Loki used) not kill a Person?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I must admit, that seems more and more likely every time I think about it.

Can't remember the place it was, but the location where he spent some time prior to his reassignment? Could have been the time he was grown. Would also explain why Coulson can't ever know the truth. The problem I have with the whole cloning thing though, they could essentially do that with any deceased agent. Someone dies, clone them and carry on.

I hope it's something else, but I can't think what else would require some internal secret that he can't be made aware of. :confused: How would an Asgard Sword (or whatever it was that Loki used) not kill a Person?

There are a few interesting suggestions:
    1) He's been enrolled in the Super Soldier experiment
    2) He never died (maybe it was a life decoy or clone, or a lie)

Kevin Smith had a theory in which it was suggested Coulson might be a robotic clone superhero (a specific one was named, but I can't remember/don't know, because I don't really do comics)
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    1) He's been enrolled in the Super Soldier experiment.
    If true, why can't he know that?
    2) He never died (maybe it was a life decoy or clone, or a lie)
    We saw him die dammit!
    Kevin Smith had a theory in which it was suggested Coulson might be a robotic clone superhero (a specific one was named, but I can't remember/don't know, because I don't really do comics)
    That's still essentially a clone though. :p

The one benefit we all have is that everyone watching the show is going to come to the same conclusion; a clone. Surely the writers (and Joss) aren't going to let it be that easy to suss him out as a clone? There's got to be more too it. They wouldn't let us have something that obvious, surely?

PS: IT Tech Girl is hawt! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    I finished watching the first episode and it was underwhelming. The look and the "feel" of the show is not extravagant. With the tremendous amount of money spent on the pilot episode alone you're not going to be wowed by anything onscreen. The show just felt average. And the writing is surprisingly weak (Although I did chuckle at how Coulson makes his first appearance).

It's too soon to say if this show is going to be good or not so I'll just keep watching and hope that it improves. The previews for upcoming episodes look promising.

I agree that the episode was under-whelming, but I think likely to survive beyond mid season cancellation - and, in terms of Agent Coulson's return, who is to say that a clone was not killed in Avengers?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    If true, why can't he know that?
    We saw him die dammit!

Maybe he does, or maybe it's a secret....

Did we see him die or was it somebody else?

And no I didn't really see him die. I only saw Avengers on UK DVD.... ;)
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to wonder about people's expectations when something this good is considered 'underwhelming'. Don't get me wrong, everyone's entitled to their opinion and all that. But just what did the show have to do that it didn't that would have left people more whelmed?

Perhaps Fox were right all those years ago when they switched out the transmission order of Firefly, because they didn't think the official first episode was 'showy' enough.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, It introduced the characters, the set up and a few ongoing arcs, whilst still managing to tell a story that essentially outlined what S.H.I.E.L.D are all about. Add to that some great performances, Coulson being Coulson and a witty and sometimes emotive script and I'd say that's job done.

I consider myself suitably and satisfyingly whelmed. :D
  • Mart_UKMart_UK Posts: 2,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode, Lots of humour on the show.
    Still don't know what to expect from the series it's only been the pilot after all so definitely be tuning in next week.
    Good to have joss back on tv.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it, though I think they should have made a a double length Premiere as once all the characters were introduced I felt it needed a little more time to flesh the story out.

Speaking of the characters it seems everyone of them (except Fitz-Simmons so far) had their "hidden" backstory introduced as well.

Coulson - Did he die or not?
    Melinda - Why did she take up a desk job?
    Skye - Who is she really (she has wiped all her real details from the system)?
    Ward - What is his Family History?

Some amusing moments with Coulsons enterance and him injecting Ward being two of them.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    You have to wonder about people's expectations when something this good is considered 'underwhelming'. Don't get me wrong, everyone's entitled to their opinion and all that. But just what did the show have to do that it didn't that would have left people more whelmed?:D
    Just a couple of things would have done it:

Interesting story
    Interesting characters

This show had neither. It was far too smug and sure of itself (probably from the combination of being a Whedon production and having more hype than any other pilot) without backing that up with anything of substance. Even the score was bland and quiet, is there another type of show on TV more deserving of a rousing theme than this?
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a couple of things would have done it:

Interesting story
    Interesting characters
    Which it had. Hence my confusion at the lack of whelm experienced by some.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well...obviously many people think it didn't.