Options

Glandular fever

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    moose1982 wrote: »
    Been in hospital for four days, they've taken loads of blood tests and x rays. They said they still haven't determine what it is.
    My temp is constantly high, I'm knackered and I cannot sleep. I'm drinking water constantly. I actually just want to go home now so I can sleep properly. I'm getting four doses of anti-biotics but not sure it's working

When I had glandular fever the doctor diagnosed it my manually feeling my swollen glands (speen etc) and then sent the district nurse to take a blood sample.

Apparently with glandular fever you usually have a greatly elevated white blood cell count - hence the multiple blood tests they've done.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it in the Eighties and it reached a point where I was terrified of going to bed because of the vivid nightmares I was having. By the morning my pillow would be literally soaking with sweat.

I was foolish enough to go back to work after about two weeks, which was almost certainly a very silly thing to do. I still get occasional bouts of extreme tiredness which make me wonder if they are connected with it in any way.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it last year and also ended up hospitalised for IV antibiotics and a drip due to dehydration. I had around a month of severe symptoms, temperature, vomiting, cold sweats, exhaustion - then a further months trying to build strength back up. It was a good six months before I got back to my best.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moose1982 wrote: »
    Been in hospital for four days, they've taken loads of blood tests and x rays. They said they still haven't determine what it is.
    My temp is constantly high, I'm knackered and I cannot sleep. I'm drinking water constantly. I actually just want to go home now so I can sleep properly. I'm getting four doses of anti-biotics but not sure it's working

You'll know if it's glandular fever, because your throat will be extremely sore, and you might have little tiny red spots on the roof of your mouth for a time.

The glands at the front of your neck both sides, become very obviously enlarged and are painful to touch. You will have a temperature, and your head feels constantly muzzy, worse after midday.

After about 3 weeks those severe symptoms will start to subside, although your throat might continue to feel sore.

You won't have much of an appetite for some time, I'm afraid.

I had it when I was 24. Started about the end of May, and I didn't really start to feel properly better until near Christmas ~ although you will have good days.

The main advice I can give you is to avoid over doing it physically, at all costs. It might be OK to return to an office job, though. Avoid exercise apart form a bit of walking, for at least 9 months, and get plenty of sleep.

I didn't get any ME, but felt very weak, and the thought of activities which previously I would have considered nothing, suddenly seemed daunting and huge.

You might get recurrences after the initial attack has died down, but they will be much shorter lived ~ a few days to a week.

GF is caused by the Epstein Barr virus, so antibiotics will be useless. You need a blood test to determine whether or not you are carrying the virus.

Some people get the virus and get no symptoms, but they can spread it to others via their saliva, where it remains intermittently active for the rest of their lives.

You too will now be a carrier, so once you're better, and you will recover, try and avoid French kissing partners out of fairness to them.

Good luck Moose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really feel for you.

Can you try soup with garlic in - garlic's supposed to be a natural infection fighter and immune system booster so it might help.

I hope you get some relief from the suffering very soon and don't get that chronic fatigue syndrome.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, something I've remembered. In addition to the garlic recommendation, I found that I really started to pick up after I started taking zinc and vitamin C tablets. They definitely helped.
  • Options
    topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about it?.

Although to be fair, if you can post on here you can't have it very bad :D

I had glandular fever back in the 70's, there's no way I could even read or watch TV, never mind type on a computer.

Once it's 'over' you then need to rebuild your strength, which took a few months in my case, but I've had no relapses or after effects from it at all.

I think it varies wildly from person to person. When I had it I went to the doctors about 4 times before it came up on blood tests. I was in the first year of a very intensive masters course and with no diagnosis had to go to lectures or I would have failed my course. I found I'd sleep all day just about manage to prize myself out of bed for a lecture then go back sleep for hours then do a bit of work. I just managed to scrape through those first few months.

It was dire though.

I got asthma as a side effect and it was quite acute for about 3 years its gone again now. I ended up at hospital several times asthma attacks and fainting mainly but all started as a result of the glandular fever I've never felt so ill before or since except for swine flu which was 3 weeks in bed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got it last year, I was stressed and not sleeping well, my throat was so painful for the first couple of weeks i couldn't eat or drink much, lost about 8-9lbs and sat up all night spitting into a bucket before getting dehydrated and going to hospital for a few days.

apparantley I had tonsillitis as well as the swollen throat and then the doctor wrongly diagnosed me with this quinsy.
    i was very tired from june until the end of september but then things started to get better and by christmas things were much better.

i still feel a bit more run down than i used to and i get lumps and mild pain under my armpits which i'm assuming means i still have the virus but apart from that i'm well.
    though i do wonder why my immune system is so bad, always seems to be something wrong :o

it was a miserable few months, but on the plus side i know someone else who had it and it only lasted about two weeks then he was totally back to normal! hope you feel better soon :)
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,110
    Forum Member
    I had it 33 years ago,it started during my finals, I started working and ended up having six months off..it did show up on the blood tests until a few months later..I thought I was just anxious.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    topcat2 wrote: »
    I think it varies wildly from person to person. When I had it I went to the doctors about 4 times before it came up on blood tests. I was in the first year of a very intensive masters course and with no diagnosis had to go to lectures or I would have failed my course.

Probably didn't show up as it was a relatively mild case, there was no way I could have even got downstairs, never mind gone out - even going a few yards to the toilet was a mammoth expedition :p

I wasn't even able to go to the doctors, he had to come to me.
  • Options
    Contains NutsContains Nuts Posts: 2,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it 1991 for about three to four weeks and I've been fine since.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stil in hospital and having an horrendous time trying to sleep because I keep getting severe aches in some of my muscles, partic my legs. Is this typical of GF??