On Benefits & Proud C5 9pm Monday

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Yay more benefits bashing. With people who are proud to be on benefits, who just happen to also be proud enough to want to be on a show about it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay more benefits bashing. With people who are proud to be on benefits, who just happen to also be proud enough to want to be on a show about it.

It's on channel 5 not c4 on Monday at 9pm.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member

Are you on it?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jono t wrote: »
    It's on channel 5 not c4 on Monday at 9pm.

Opps thanks for the correction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you on it?

I prefer to make films rather than be in them.
    Forum Member
    I prefer to make films rather than be in them.

Good for you :) Dare I ask what sort of films ;)
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well OP you have done a great deal of this yourself and made many people on DS who were previously quite happy to support others feel they are being ripped off royally by working and paying taxes. So it seems a little rich to complain when a TV show does the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Well OP you have done a great deal of this yourself and made many people on DS who were previously quite happy to support others feel they are being ripped off royally by working and paying taxes. So it seems a little rich to complain when a TV show does the same.

I'm certainly not ashamed to be on benefits.

As to being proud, well I'm on benefits because of my disability so am proud we have a system that supports the vulnerable.
    Forum Member
    I'm certainly not ashamed to be on benefits.

As to being proud, well I'm on benefits because of my disability so am proud we have a system that supports the vulnerable.

What disability have you got?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What disability have you got?

Asperger's Syndrome, with related problems of Agoraphobia, anxiety and depression etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is a programme about people on benefits because they can't work, then fair enough... but if it is going to be filled with workshy leeches, then it is a disgrace that they are given such a platform. No doubt they will be acting extra horrendously in the hope that they might get a reality show or a night in a hotel courtesy of Jeremy Kyle. Channel 5 plumbing new depths. Bravo.
    Forum Member
    Asperger's Syndrome, with related problems of Agoraphobia, anxiety and depression etc.

Ah ok thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same as my hard working husband then, managed to keep a job from the age of 15 until he had a stroke then took a year to get over that and back to work again, Now waiting for either a knee replacement or if as has been suggested the hospital can't afford that his leg to be removed. He will I have no doubt be back to work ASAP after that too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same as my hard working husband then, managed to keep a job from the age of 15 until he had a stroke then took a year to get over that and back to work again, Now waiting for either a knee replacement or if as has been suggested the hospital can't afford that his leg to be removed. He will I have no doubt be back to work ASAP after that too.

Just shows what a difference having caring family and friends makes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just shows what a difference having caring family and friends makes.

What caring family and friends ? he only has me really as he cannot really function in a friends environment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What caring family and friends ? he only has me really as he cannot really function in a friends environment.

Where were his family when he was working at 15?

At least he has you. Was you with him when he had a stroke?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where were his family when he was working at 15?

At least he has you. Was you with him when he had a stroke?

His family couldn't cope with him hence he left school and got a job to support himself. Yes we married quite young and I was by his side as he had the stroke. Not that it has anything to do with this TV programme as we were mortified to be on benefits and got off them as soon as we could. As soon as he could find his way home reliably (his memory was shocking after the stroke) he went out and found a job. Anything rather than claim benefit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    His family couldn't cope with him hence he left school and got a job to support himself. Yes we married quite young and I was by his side as he had the stroke. Not that it has anything to do with this TV programme as we were mortified to be on benefits and got off them as soon as we could. As soon as he could find his way home reliably (his memory was shocking after the stroke) he went out and found a job. Anything rather than claim benefit.

Well that's your morality system.

I see no shame in being on benefits. If society wants disabled people to work then it can change to make it much easier for disabled people to work.

Instead it makes it harder.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good God...theyre suggesting his leg be removed on financial grounds given the cost of knee replacement ? That's outrageous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's your morality system.

I see no shame in being on benefits. If society wants disabled people to work then it can change to make it much easier for disabled people to work.

Instead it makes it harder.

We don't see his apsergers as a reason for him not to work, his knee however will stop him soon I think until he can get any sort of operation to stop the pain as that really is disabling him.

I have MS it's a matter of pride and needing something to get out and about for that has kept me working all these years. It's important if a person can work to get out there and do it. It helps in so many ways not just financially.

Aspergers is helped in our opinions by confronting it and making the effort to try and beat it. It's a fight worth having each day as he is a proud man who is winning all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We don't see his apsergers as a reason for him not to work, his knee however will stop him soon I think until he can get any sort of operation to stop the pain as that really is disabling him.

I have MS it's a matter of pride and needing something to get out and about for that has kept me working all these years. It's important if a person can work to get out there and do it. It helps in so many ways not just financially.

Aspergers is helped in our opinions by confronting it and making the effort to try and beat it. It's a fight worth having each day as he is a proud man who is winning all the time.

Asperger's is nothing to be beaten.

The problem is how other people deal with it, not how the person who has it, deals with it.

It's about working with the best qualities of Asperger's such as being able to keep to one thing and work in detail at that one thing.

My problems are not because of Asperger's but because of how other people have dealt with me, badly, because of their problems not mine.

I'm fighting for better things than to be able to work a minimum wage job.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 is really becoming a reality show dross channel.

Its a wonder they did not call it "my big fat gypsy" " on benefits and proud"

More dross i will not be watching.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Channel 4 is really becoming a reality show dross channel.

Its a wonder they did not call it "my big fat gypsy" " on benefits and proud"

More dross i will not be watching.:mad:

The show is on Channel 5, I got the title wrong, have asked the mods to change it.
    With a fifth of every pound we pay in tax going directly to support benefit claimants, not everyone is happy with who gets what.

I bet they are including the pensions figure in that quote.

This comment from the site says the same thing,

Surplus Labour

Could you possibly have devised a more misleading statistic than the one in your header? Jobseekers allowance only accounts for 3% of welfare spending. Thats 5bn out of a total 180bn Yet you seek to imply that it's a fifth of every pound. More tax spend on benefits goes to subsidising low wage exploitative employers and predatory landlords than to the unemployed. Will you be making a program about them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the problem I have with you, NMW is not a lot I agree but opting out of working because of it is not an option. Both of us are on NMW we manage sometimes it's close to not managing but usually we get there. But we contribute and make sure we look after ourselves. That is how societies work only those really unable to work should be supported.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is on Channel 5, I got the title wrong, have asked the mods to change it.

Ok still dross trhough.

Channel 4 or 5 soon there will be no difference both have realty TV show churn out.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet they are including the pensions figure in that quote.

Yes and also do not forget in work benefits claimants such as tax credits a governemt sub to pi-- poor wages, i wonder if the people who claoim that are "On Benefits And Proud" after a weeks work.