Options

Cyclists invent new form of suicide

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the past suicides were realized by acts of hanging, jumping off tall buildings, drug overdose, listening to Jive Bunny's back catalogue of music but cyclists have invented a new form of suicide. It's called

Cycle riding in London.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cyclist-killed-in-collision-with-lorry-at-bow-roundabout-8936566.html
The woman, who has not been identified, collided with a lorry at about 8.45am, becoming the fourth cyclist in eight days to be killed riding in London and the 12th this year.

Comments

• Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    That's 12 this year, maybe the powers that be should try a different shade of blue paint, this one is obviously not up to the job of protecting cyclists.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Edinburgh the old sport of putting wire at neck height on cycle paths has returned
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My post was meant to be tongue in cheek (in a bad taste sort of way) but it's crazy to cycle in London. It's so dangerous. And the cyclists don't seem to care or know how dangerous it is. They weave in and out of traffic, have little protection, go over red lights, hog the middle of the road, some have no lights on at night. It's just madness.

Cycling is fine in quite rural villages or in the countryside (as long as it's not busy county lanes with blind corners!) but elsewhere, heck, it's got so bad and dangerous, perhaps it should be made illegal to cycle in towns or cities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The numbers aren't surprising, given the obvious animosity between cyclists and other road users in the city.

You have to have a screw loose to cycle in London, regardless of whether you are using cycle lanes or not.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    My post was meant to be tongue in cheek (in a bad taste sort of way) but it's crazy to cycle in London. It's so dangerous. And the cyclists don't seem to care or know how dangerous it is. They weave in and out of traffic, have little protection, go over red lights, hog the middle of the road, some have no lights on at night. It's just madness.

Cycling is fine in quite rural villages or in the countryside (as long as it's not busy county lanes with blind corners!) but elsewhere, heck, it's got so bad and dangerous, perhaps it should be made illegal to cycle in towns or cities.
    On a particulalry dangerous stretch of road in London, the mayor has finally sanctioned and gone ahead with laying curbs as a physical barrier between the cyclists and the vehicles, it's ridiculous to say cyclists should not cycle in London, although I agree it's pretty lethal, but drastic steps need to be taken to protect cyclists.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member

Around three times as many pedestrians than cyclists are killed in London each year. Is it crazy to be a pedestrian? Do you think being a pedestrian should be made illegal?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And soon, outlawing running and walking in towns and cities! You want it to be like America where you take your car if you are going 50 yards?

It must be at least two weeks since the last anti cyclist thread! :rolleyes:

Banning cycling in towns cities and rural areas where there are blind bends...give me a break!!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye. Awa 'n' bile yer heed. :p
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    They weave in and out of traffic, have little protection, go over red lights, hog the middle of the road, some have no lights on at night. It's just madness..
    Congratulations. In your enthusiasm to decry cycling & cyclists you managed to be offensive in your first post, and nearly managed a full set of Cycling Bingo with your little list above, You did miss road tax and insurance, but it's a nailed on cert that someone will shuffle along soon and attack his k/b without the intermediate engaging of brain beforehand to insist that those regulars are wheeled into the discussion.

What do we reckon this time? 20 pages of anti-cycling bile? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye. Awa 'n' bile yer heed. :p

:D:D;)
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some 540,000 cycling journeys per day, according to the Department for Transport. That's 197,100,000 journeys per annum or even 113,400,000 journeys at very least

If 2013 is anything like 2012 that's about 14 cyclists killed in London per annum.

It doesn't seem that dangerous to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    What do we reckon this time? 20 pages of anti-cycling bile? :)

Well, there's no Chandelier/Dbar this time, only Evo so maybe a bit less! Unless, of course, this will bring out Chandy/Dbar's current persona!
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's suisidal to ride on busy roads, I will never ever unstanding why peopledo it.

There will be another dealth in a few weeks time untill riding on the road is banned.

Hello! it's DANGEROUS!

Ban bikes on road.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    You have to have a screw loose to cycle in London, regardless of whether you are using cycle lanes or not.

Yet still Boris promotes it.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... And not one of them Boris Johnson
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly too many cyclists don't follow the rules of the road and in some cases, this can be the cause of accidents. I have cycled in London and generally had no problems. As a car driver, I followed the rules of the road, made sure my lights were working and always wore lots of fluorescent clothing. Most of the time I cycled out of rush hour times, but when I did, some other cyclists used to frighten me by weaving in an out of traffic and running red lights, no lights and wearing dark clothing at night. Cyclists should take responsibility to make sure that they can be seen by other road users. Of course it isn't always the cyclists fault. There is a lady who has been campaigning for special mirrors on lorries after her daughter was sadly killed.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3307660.ece
    If everyone followed the rules of the road, it would be a much safer place. Sadly, I can't see that happening any time soon.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    If the guy was trapped under the bus near where the entrance/exits are, that'd suggest he was trapped under the left side of the bus.

Bicyclist overtaking a large motor vehicle on the inside, again? :(
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might help the cyclists in case they dont't know what they look like!!!!

If cyclists see one in front of them, stop straight away. Just jump off your bike or jump on to the pavement & keep out of its way. You can stop much quicker then they can & you should be able to see it easier then they can see you!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the biggest culprits are bus drivers, who in recent years seem to have lost the ability to use their wing mirrors. They pull out in front of cars without the slightest hesitation, so I dread to think what it is like for a cyclist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    This might help the cyclists in case they dont't know what they look like!!!!

If cyclists see one in front of them, stop straight away. Just jump off your bike or jump on to the pavement & keep out of its way. You can stop much quicker then they can & you should be able to see it easier then they can see you!
    It's clearly a glib subject to you, a cyclist being killed beneath a larger vehicle. Perhaps you'd care to pause for a moment like we all did on Monday, and consider what the victim went through in the last few moments of her life this morning, as a result of going about an ordinary and lawful activity that harms no-one.

When you've paused to reflect on what her family are suffering at this very moment, perhaps you could advise cyclists on their best course of action when a large vehicle swoops alongside and turns left across the cyclist's path, at road speeds. I'm sure you can offer good advice, when you've finished being satisfied at someone's death because they use a transport option that you don't approve of.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Bicyclist overtaking a large motor vehicle on the inside, again?
    Indeed. Don't they teach basic geometry anymore?
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No ta. I like riding in cities. Thanks for your concern though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    If the guy was trapped under the bus near where the entrance/exits are, that'd suggest he was trapped under the left side of the bus.

Bicyclist overtaking a large motor vehicle on the inside, again? :(
    gomezz wrote: »
    Indeed. Don't they teach basic geometry anymore?
    I see Batman & Robin are out again at the first sniff a cycling thread.

Overtaking on the inside? Or being left-hooked? The report states that the victim was dragged under the wheels. That sounds more like the opposite to your viewpoints, but obviously it's more important to get the smug anti-cycle views in rather than bother with understanding why it happened. And maybe she was undertaking and misjudged it, or something changed during the situation; in which case the death penalty is quite clearly the best thing that can happen. These cyclists need to understand geometry and keeping out of other people's ways, clearly.
  • Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Topic name is inaccurate and should be changed. Suicide is an act where the person wants to die rather than an accident
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    The death penalty for being igorant is indeed harsh.