Happy Valley - Tues 29th April BBC One

dulliredullire Posts: 20,129
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From radiotimes.com
1/6. New series. Drama from the pen of Sally Wainwright. Catherine Cawood is the sergeant on duty when accountant Kevin Weatherill enters her police station to report a crime - the kidnapping of his boss's daughter. Although he originally came up with the plan as a way of paying for his children's private education, he eventually backed out. However, his partner is dangerous local drug kingpin Ashley Cowgill - and he has gone ahead with the plot anyway. The case hits a nerve for Catherine, who has lost her own daughter and is determined to bring the captors to justice.

Sarah Lancashire stars, with Steve Pemberton, Joe Armstrong, James Norton, Siobhan Finneran and George Costigan.

Anyone else looking forward to this? I'm a fan of Sally's work and it has a very good ensemble cast. It looks a bit Scott & Bailey meets Last Tango. :D

Comments

• Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. It's a shame Michelle Holmes isn't in it then it would have been like a 'Rita, Sue and Bob too' re-union :)
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's supposed to be more gritty than Last Tango but I'll certainly give it a try.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it, but The Times review says its so far fetched its on the border of ridiculous. Hopefully its good, but can't see it being as good as Scott & Bailey and LTIH
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've programmed my PVR for it. I'll give it a chance.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to this, read a lot of good things about it as well. Sally Wainwright is writer who does light and shade very well so I'm not worried about it being too dark, look at Last Tango, at times it could be the funniest programme on tv but just 10 minutes later it could deliver a emotional gutpunch that stays with long after the episode has finished.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    After seeing the trailer, a bonus reason to watching it - Joe Armstrong is in it! :)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. It's a shame Michelle Holmes isn't in it then it would have been like a 'Rita, Sue and Bob too' re-union :)

It looks like a frozen sausage! :D

Looks interesting this, will give it a watch.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounded good until I read that Sarah Lancaster is in it. Can't bear the woman.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    It sounded good until I read that Sarah Lancaster is in it. Can't bear the woman.

I can't be doing with Sarah Lancashire, either. Another in the category of overrated ex soap actresses along with Suranne Jones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »

LOL x 10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be doing with Sarah Lancashire, either. Another in the category of overrated ex soap actresses along with Suranne Jones.

LOL x 1000.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interview with writer, Sally Wainwright. She's no longer writing for Scott & Bailey but still an executive producer.

http://www.thecustardtv.com/2014/04/thecustard-chats-to-sally-wainwright.html
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to seeing this. The backstory seems very dark but very interesting.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's too Northern for me already. :p
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Police officers should wear their caps/hats in public
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see Derek Riddell on our screens again.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did her kid just called Siobhan Finneran granny? Is she meant to be Sarah Lancashires mum? :confused:
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Did her kid just called Siobhan Finneran granny? Is she meant to be Sarah Lancashires mum? :confused:

He called Sarah Lancashire's character granny, Siobhan Finneran's character is her sister.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He called Sarah Lancashire's character granny, Siobhan Finneran's character is her sister.

OK lol I thought she was playing her mum. That would be stretching the bounds of dramatic licence a little too far. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarah was brilliant in that scene
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Sarah was brilliant in that scene

Yes she was.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ on a cracker, this is grim...will have to make sure I've got some wine in for next week, take the edge off :o
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why doesn't the man who wanted the pay rise anonymously warn his boss about the plan to kidnap his daughter?

Even if I got a letter through my door detailing such a plot, I'd find it odd and unnerving enough to contact the police.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    James Norton looks so different than he did in Death Comes To Pemberley. His eyebrows look weird.