Brendan Cole's "Night to Remember"

kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
Forum Member
✭✭
Went to see Brendan's new show "A Night to Remember" which opened this week. It certainly did not disappoint.

It was nice to see Brendan dance full out instead of having to "dance-down" as all the pros in Strictly have to do when dancing with celebs. His partner - Fauve, from France - was wonderful; his other accompanying dancers - Patrick Helm, Crystal Main, Ksenia Zsikhotska, Ryan McShane, Kai Widdrington and Loren James (all of whom dancers will recognise) were all fabulous.

Accompanying the dancers was a 12-piece live band, and 2 excellent singers.

If there was any fault to be found at all it was that because of the space the band and singers needed, the space left for the dancers was not large enough - fine when just one couple was dancing but restrictive when all 4 couples were dancing.

Comments

• manic rosemanic rose Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Saw this last night in Nottingham and it was fantastic. Lots of variety in the dances and Brendan talking to the crowd between dances. He even did a short q&a session at the start of the second half. All the dancers were brilliant and loved the band and singers, really added to the show.

My husband and I saw strictly live a week ago at Nottingham and were a little disappointed by it but we both came away from Brendan's show raving about it and can't wait until we get chance to see him live again (whenever that may be).
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    manic rose wrote: »
    Saw this last night in Nottingham and it was fantastic. Lots of variety in the dances and Brendan talking to the crowd between dances. He even did a short q&a session at the start of the second half. All the dancers were brilliant and loved the band and singers, really added to the show.

My husband and I saw strictly live a week ago at Nottingham and were a little disappointed by it but we both came away from Brendan's show raving about it and can't wait until we get chance to see him live again (whenever that may be).

BiB - Brendan mentioned the People's Strictly, and said how much the pro dancers involved were enjoying working on the show, almost hinting they enjoy working with their "people" partners more than the celebs, some of whom can be ....... Wisely he said no more, just laughed!!!!

In the q&a session, a girl of about 13 had asked if he would dance a quickstep with her - so he did, right round the auditorium and back! Certainly made it a night to remember for her!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to agree that this is an amazing show - the same sort of format as his previous shows, brilliant cast, singers and musicians and all sold with great skill, energy and enthusiasm by the man himself.

My husband was persuaded to come this time (I've been with my daughters to the other shows) and he thought it was excellent - a rare compliment indeed and my teenage daughter declared that she was now a Brendan fan, having resisted going this far previously! "he's just such a nice man, isn't he, Mum?" was her comment.

In Cambridge, the show received a standing ovation (as it did last time) and I think most venues are sold out, but go if you can and often a few seats become free for each venue in the week before.

We could see into the wings of the stage from our seats and could see Brendan revelling in the applause at the time and drumming along with the ending - he certainly does not just go through the motions, but invests a lot in each show, which comes over in his presentation and chat.

So, go and enjoy!
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His tour is coming quite close to me in nearby Dunfermline near the end of the month.

There was an article about it in my local paper today.
    kaycee wrote: »
    BiB - Brendan mentioned the People's Strictly, and said how much the pro dancers involved were enjoying working on the show, almost hinting they enjoy working with their "people" partners more than the celebs, some of whom can be ....... Wisely he said no more, just laughed!!!!

In the q&a session, a girl of about 13 had asked if he would dance a quickstep with her - so he did, right round the auditorium and back! Certainly made it a night to remember for her!!

Well, I could believe that about some of the celebs that have done the show :D
  • Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to also agree that this is an amazing show. Fantastic dancers, great band and singers. Dancers dance flat out and give it their all, each show. Good mixed selection of dances with good music, very professional show. I highly recommend it.
  • StrictlyVikkiStrictlyVikki Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Interesting moment in the Q&A last night:

Q: Brendan's who's your favourite professional partner to dance with?"
    Brendan: (Almost before he can stop himself) Well we know who it isn't! (Looks to cast ... audience titter ...) She was here last year, I'll say no more!

I always knew I liked Brendan. :)
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brendan: (Almost before he can stop himself) Well we know who it isn't! (Looks to cast ... audience titter ...) She was here last year, I'll say no more!

Sorry to be obtuse. Who's that then?
  • mushypeasmushypeas Posts: 158
    Forum Member

Did he mean aliona???? Really? Can't say I noticed any animosity between them!
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    mushypeas wrote: »

I'm quite disappointed by that - I saw Aliona in Brendan's show last year and she was incredible! She also helped him out of a tight spot by stepping in late on after his leading lady was injured and had to drop out.

I do think Brendan is an excellent dancer and a great showman, but am starting to wish he'd keep his gob shut!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brendan introduced Fauve as the best professional partner he has ever danced with. She wasn't in his show last year because of injury, but was in the show the year before that. She is certainly a beautiful dancer.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a bit indiscrete of Brendan if he was referring to Aliona :o I mean, I know he's well known for his outspokenenss, but it seems a bit unfair, considering as said before, she did step in for him at the last minute when his other leading lady got injured...and from reading posts about the show at the time I remember some Aliona fans saying they were going just to see Aliona - so he got punters in who otherwise wouldn't have gone to the show........although to be fair there were also a few posters who said they weren't going because of Aliona :D

It's one thing being outspoken about the celebs you've partnered who you never have to work with again but if he and Aliona are back next series they might find themselves having to partner each other again........I can imagine that will be quite awkward.......I think Brendan and Aliona are both head strong characters and have certain ways of doing things... so perhaps there was a bit of a disagreement.....but still.... they've always seemed to get on together on Strictly. It's a shame Aliona has never done her own tour - I think she worked best with Artem as they're creatively quite similar. - it's a shame they never got around to touring together. I like Aliona, some years she has annoyed me, but other years especially when she was with Matt Baker and Tony Jacklin I've really liked her.

My view on Brendan also fluctuates - some years I like him......other years he just doesn't impress me......I really liked him with Sophie the series before last but didn't like him so much last year with Sunetra....I didn't like his attitude - he didn't seem that enthusiastic to be partnered with her and occasionally I noticed he was stand offish with her which imo bordered on rudeness....and before anyone says he was working around her busy schedule......other pros have had celebs with busy schedules and they've managed to cope with good grace and have had a better attitude towards their celeb partners.
  • Gill_BrettGill_Brett Posts: 235
    Forum Member

If thats true I think Brendan is disgusting Aliona saved the day for him last year and thats how he repays her. It doesn't matter whether you like Aliona or not he's very disrespectful. >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    This show is amazing! During Q&A he came off stage to give me a birthday hug and kiss and stood waiting so Lady in front could take a photo of this amazing moment! i then met him and most of the cast backstage, Brendan and the rest of them were so down to earth nothing was too much trouble and they were all humbled by our requests of photos and programme signing.

The thing with Brendan is that he has a very dry & tongue in cheek sense of humour, he is also very honest, which is a great quality to have. However some people just can't handle the truth he was not being unkind he answered the question with honesty and didn't actually say the name. I am sure that Aliona is not bothered (that's if she knows) as she is successful in her own right as is Brendan. Yes she did help him out, but if he didn't enjoy dancing with her then he didn't enjoy dancing with her. It's just how it is :)
  • Gill_BrettGill_Brett Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Maria_M80 wrote: »
    This show is amazing! During Q&A he came off stage to give me a birthday hug and kiss and stood waiting so Lady in front could take a photo of this amazing moment! i then met him and most of the cast backstage, Brendan and the rest of them were so down to earth nothing was too much trouble and they were all humbled by our requests of photos and programme signing.

The thing with Brendan is that he has a very dry & tongue in cheek sense of humour, he is also very honest, which is a great quality to have. However some people just can't handle the truth he was not being unkind he answered the question with honesty and didn't actually say the name. I am sure that Aliona is not bothered (that's if she knows) as she is successful in her own right as is Brendan. Yes she did help him out, but if he didn't enjoy dancing with her then he didn't enjoy dancing with her. It's just how it is :)

Yes the show is amazing I went to see it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went to see Aliona as she is my favourite pro and I'd never seen her on tour. I thought the whole cast was great and Brendan interacted with the audience then and was really funny. I went home very much a Brendan fan.
    I am also sure that Aliona is not bothered whether she is Brendans favourite or not but Brendan was sinking very low when he said we know who isn't. Why can't he just say who his favourite is? You may call him honest but to say that in front of a theatre full of people thats plain nasty.
    But at the end of the day we all have our favourites and I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maria_M80 wrote: »
    This show is amazing! During Q&A he came off stage to give me a birthday hug and kiss and stood waiting so Lady in front could take a photo of this amazing moment!

The thing with Brendan is that he has a very dry & tongue in cheek sense of humour, he is also very honest, which is a great quality to have. :)

He did this at the show I went to - I wonder if it was the same one? Or if he does it at every show.

Agree totally about Brendan's honesty. I've known him for many years, & competed against him a couple of times, and he has always been the same. He wears his heart on his sleeve, so what-you-see-is-what-you-get! There's no false 'pretence' for fans and cameras!
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brendan had been pro-partnered with Aliona last year on Strictly, so they must have been getting along for him to choose Aliona as the replacement for Fauve.

One thing that happened to Aliona after agreeing to the Tour was that Vincent proposed on New Year's night. Aliona was going to be 30 on May 1st and that may have influenced the decision to get married before then. That did give Aliona something unexpected to handle at the same time as the Tour.

The Tour is Brendan's and he has a huge amount invested in it. He also makes the show, in that he is on the go non-stop fulfilling many roles in each performance and pumping life and soul into the show. All that may make him a bit stressed

I saw the Tour last year because Aliona was on it and it was a great show. There was no sign of any issues and Aliona's dancing added to the show. Brendan is a great showman and he really creates the enjoyable lively atmosphere (though the one I was at was already lively anyway).

During Q&A - which seemed to be questions filled in by the audience before the show, so the ones Brendan answered were selected - he did have a go at Lulu in terms of not getting along with her.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aliona had come to the same conclusion about Brendan after working with him on his Tour, but she hasn't said anything about it.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at this last night and during the Q&A section, he went and gave a lady in the audience a birthday kiss. She was 95
    Then he said that this next note he had received showed that his audience was very wide ranged as there was a lad in the audience who was an under six streetdance champion and his Mum had asked if Brendan wanted to see some of his moves. So Brendan asked him to come up on stage. Up he came, this little lad and the band struck up some streetdance beats, and he started dancing. Brendan encouraged him and even attempted a bit himself. :D
    This kid got a standing ovation, what a fantastic thing for him, well done to the audience and to Brendan.
    Excellent. Highly entertaining and properly feel good stuff.

Great, energetic show. Good band and dancers and singers and the man himself pitches it perfectly and comes across very well on stage.

Highly reccommended.
  • dmolyneaux@virgdmolyneaux@virg Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Brendan had been pro-partnered with Aliona last year on Strictly, so they must have been getting along for him to choose Aliona as the replacement for Fauve.

One thing that happened to Aliona after agreeing to the Tour was that Vincent proposed on New Year's night. Aliona was going to be 30 on May 1st and that may have influenced the decision to get married before then. That did give Aliona something unexpected to handle at the same time as the Tour.

The Tour is Brendan's and he has a huge amount invested in it. He also makes the show, in that he is on the go non-stop fulfilling many roles in each performance and pumping life and soul into the show. All that may make him a bit stressed

I saw the Tour last year because Aliona was on it and it was a great show. There was no sign of any issues and Aliona's dancing added to the show. Brendan is a great showman and he really creates the enjoyable lively atmosphere (though the one I was at was already lively anyway).

During Q&A - which seemed to be questions filled in by the audience before the show, so the ones Brendan answered were selected - he did have a go at Lulu in terms of not getting along with her.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aliona had come to the same conclusion about Brendan after working with him on his Tour, but she hasn't said anything about it.

Brendan was asked
    Snog Marry Avoid when I went show last night

He answered
    Marry Darcy
    Snog Ola (to annoy James)

Avoid Aliona
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan was asked

He answered
    Marry Darcy

Avoid Aliona

Blimey :o He's not being subtle about his disdain for Aliona is he?
  • mushypeasmushypeas Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Brendan was asked

He answered
    Marry Darcy

Avoid Aliona

Was he given those names as the 3 options or just told to pick out of the strictly females in general?
  • babyboomer10babyboomer10 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Last year the Opera House in Manchester was full for LTT, Not sure about the stalls & circle but last night up in the gallery, (with the boy I love??), it was less than a quarter full.

Missing the Aliona effect, no matter what you think Brendan may think of her and it will have hit him in the pocket. She is very watchable & foot perfect whereas Fauve stumbled at least twice coming out of Brendan's lifts/throws. Maybe her broken leg is not 100% recovered.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year the Opera House in Manchester was full for LTT, Not sure about the stalls & circle but last night up in the gallery, (with the boy I love??), it was less than a quarter full.

Missing the Aliona effect, no matter what you think Brendan may think of her and it will have hit him in the pocket. She is very watchable & foot perfect whereas Fauve stumbled at least twice coming out of Brendan's lifts/throws. Maybe her broken leg is not 100% recovered.

I was in the stalls last night, full apart from the odd seat here and there - not sure about the circle :)
  • dmolyneaux@virgdmolyneaux@virg Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he given those names as the 3 options or just told to pick out of the strictly females in general?

Was asked out of scd cast, was quite surprised how open he was .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was asked out of scd cast, was quite surprised how open he was .

Brendan is nothing if not completely open and honest! Unlike some Strictly pros (& celebs) he doesn't put on a fake "Aren't I a lovely person?" persona in front of camera or fans. Of course sometimes that hasn't always made him popular with some people, but love him or loathe him, you always know exactly where you stand! I've known him since he first came to UK to dance, and have always found him a thoroughly likeable person.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    Brendan is nothing if not completely open and honest! Unlike some Strictly pros (& celebs) he doesn't put on a fake "Aren't I a lovely person?" persona in front of camera or fans. Of course sometimes that hasn't always made him popular with some people, but love him or loathe him, you always know exactly where you stand! I've known him since he first came to UK to dance, and have always found him a thoroughly likeable person.

Fair enough if you're talking from experience, but I'm sure some o the cast act like lovely people because they ARE lovely people!

I have lost some respect for Brendan with this Aliona thing, it seems a rather low blow after she saved his show last year. :(