Harrison Ford crash!

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yer he'll be back on the kessel run in no time :)

Though it might take him eighteen parsecs, now.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one has mentioned how he managed to land air force one yet.

Air force hole in one
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Ford was the only person aboard, and nobody on the ground was hurt.

Looks like a solo flight.

So, not the rear-gunner's fault then?
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP aeroplane
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Yer he'll be back on the kessel run in no time :)

HA ha.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    He can fly helicopters too. He was a member of a rescue team near where he lived, and there's a famous story of his team rescuing a hiker that had become lost. When she was in the helicopter she became nauseous and threw up in his cap. She was even more embarrassed when she later found out that the pilot was indeed Harrison Ford. He's also the chairman of the Young Eagles program, which gives kids the chance to experience flight and get them interested in all things flying.

I do hope he's OK though, as he's one of my favourite films stars.

Very fortunate that the golf course was nearby, but he did well to steer for it considering it was 'Engine failure on take off' - which so often results in tragedy.
    Not sure about his radio call of 'returning to the field' as we were taught never turn
    back for the runway under such circumstances . Nevertheless he did well.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is one of my favourite actors, hope he is OK.

Flying a plane built in 1942 seems a dangerous thing to do.

How many cars built in 1942 are driveable, never mind planes.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know he could fly a plane. Fly yes land no. Well this proves he can land a plane, they say he could not have done better. His son has now said he is OK just battered and bruised.
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    At his age, perhaps this is an activity he should consider giving up.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »

Dont forget there are many ww2 jeeps and other military vehicles that still exist and are lovingly cared for by their owners. All aircraft, including vintage and ww2 versions holding permission to fly docs. are subject to regular and expensive servicing by law. and mostly have good safety records. To be fair EFOTO is rare and can happen to any a/c whether new or old, HF was just unlucky. but made a good job of the landing.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »

"Son I'm Sorry They got us".

Hope he gets well soon.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Well the Force was obviously with him yesterday. (sorry :blush:)

Also I was more shocked that he was 72, he's obviously been taking tips from Yoda.
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any TIE fighters in the area at the time?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Harrison Ford, always have. Really hope he will be okay.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    chaff wrote: »
    Any TIE fighters in the area at the time?
    One crashed.:o
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he discovered a snake in the cockpit.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »

With cars of that age (and right up to the early 1960s) being MOT exempt now....and having been tax exempt for many years....how would we ever know? :D

There are plenty of aircraft of that age surviving - and a greater percentage in the U.S. with its different laws on the "lifetimes" of airframes.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I think Ford should get the Academy Lifetime Achievement award next year.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    At his age, perhaps this is an activity he should consider giving up.
    Why should he stop? He's 72, not 92. He's a qualified, experienced pilot. It was the plane that was at fault not him. These days, 72 is just a tad over being middle-aged.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Love Harrison but think it is a bit ridiculous at 72 to be still flying planes! Good grief, what is the truth, has he just head cuts or is it true he has broken his ankle, his pelvis and has had to go through an operation????? So many different reports on this accident, I do not know what to believe. If he managed to get a few head cuts after such an accident, it was be a miracle!!!!!
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently, one of the doctors who is a spine surgeon said to the BBC when he pulled Harrison Ford out of the wreck that the plane was going to bust into flames due to a fuel leak following the plane crashing onto the golf course.

He also happened to be a big fan of the actor and was a self-confessed 80's fan who had grown up with Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31772889
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should he stop?

I'm sure some people won't be happy until we all start going to Dignitas at around 40. Can't have old people out and about doing things, the horrror!!!
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a lot younger than Harrison Ford but he could easily beat me into a pulp, outrun me, and fly a plane as well.
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Why should he stop? He's 72, not 92. He's a qualified, experienced pilot. It was the plane that was at fault not him. These days, 72 is just a tad over being middle-aged.

Hardly. Our responses slow as we get older, our peripheral vision decreases and we generally slow down. Perhaps for the sake of others it would be best for yearly testing for private pilots.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    Hardly. Our responses slow as we get older, our peripheral vision decreases and we generally slow down. Perhaps for the sake of others it would be best for yearly testing for private pilots.

As I understand it, a pilot of his age would be required to provide medical certification of physical and mental fitness every two years.