Nokia to offer cheap 3G traditional style phones approx £45 (something for Granny)

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Nokia are to offer cheap 3G phones for about £45. These will be traditional looking phones with real keypads. The Nokia 207 and 208 may not interest many people but may be useful to migrate older people off 2G networks without them having to get worried over using something modern!

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/25859/Nokia_readies_low_cost_candybars_for_late_summer.aspx

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    perfect for me mum.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Nokia are to offer cheap 3G phones for about £45. These will be traditional looking phones with real keypads. The Nokia 207 and 208 may not interest many people but may be useful to migrate older people off 2G networks without them having to get worried over using something modern!
    FAR too expensive! I got a Nokia 101 recently at effectively <£0.00 (£11 with £10 credit less TopCashBack). 3G brings no benefits I can see to users of such simple handsets!
  • ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    3G adds the benefit of being able to use Three's 3 2 1 PAYG plan even if they don't want to use the internet the 2P a minute call rates would surly be attractive

Ash
  • tarziontarzion Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    FAR too expensive! I got a Nokia 101 recently at effectively <£0.00 (£11 with £10 credit less TopCashBack). 3G brings no benefits I can see to users of such simple handsets!

Where did you get yours from?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »

You have no idea how people who buy these handsets will use them.

happen the want to download a podcast to listen to on the way to work.

It's probably more functional than the first 3G phone i had.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have no idea how people who buy these handsets will use them.

happen the want to download a podcast to listen to on the way to work.

It's probably more functional than the first 3G phone i had.

Clearly neither have you. You don't strike me as being in the age group which would choose one of these as a first and only preference over owning the latest smart phone, however if you went away and asked a few older people clutching their '2g bricks' what a podcast was, I suspect you'd get quite a few blank looks. My elderly parents are still getting to grips with text messages, i'd hate to think what sort of bill they would get trying to figure out how data worked or whether in reality they'd have any use for it.

3G upgrade is only of any use if it is needed, as opposed to whether their children / grandchildren tell them they 'need' it. :rolleyes:

Anybody who routinely listens to podcasts, or indeed is in an age group where they still go to work, probably won't be in the market for a phone like this as a 'proper' smart phone would be their first choice, even if it was a <£100 one.

Your first 3G phone was probably the latest on the market at the time, and I'd suspect you still have a current latest smart phone now, so i'm not sure how you can identify with the market at the 'older' end, (where generally the 2g market is still based)
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite fancy one of these, as a backup for if I'm not going to be able to charge my smartphone.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    Clearly neither have you. You don't strike me as being in the age group which would choose one of these as a first and only preference over owning the latest smart phone, however if you went away and asked a few older people clutching their '2g bricks' what a podcast was, I suspect you'd get quite a few blank looks. My elderly parents are still getting to grips with text messages, i'd hate to think what sort of bill they would get trying to figure out how data worked or whether in reality they'd have any use for it.

Anybody who routinely listens to podcasts, or indeed is in an age group where they still go to work, probably won't be in the market for a phone like this as a 'proper' smart phone would be their first choice, even if it was a <£100 one.

Your first 3G phone was probably the latest on the market at the time, and I'd suspect you still have a current latest smart phone now, so i'm not sure how you can identify with the market at the 'older' end, (where generally the 2g market is still based)

You are missing the entire point of what these phones are intended for. They are intended for grand parents to get them of 2G networks. It is people like them that are delaying 2G networks being switched off. No they likely wouldn't notice a massive amount of difference between these and what they have. Apart from a color screen and a basic camera. They are certainly cheap enough for a christmas or birthday present. I know I sound harsh there but I am speaking the truth they aren't designed for a radical change they are a way for networks to get people of 2G networks so they can free up spectrum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are missing the entire point of what these phones are intended for.

You obviously don't know many old people....speak to a few then come back and then we'll discuss points and then you can wave your e-penis some more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously don't know many old people....speak to a few then come back and discuss points and wave your e-penis some more

Obviously you have no respect for them either as you clearly just shown that. Agreed I don't no many old people I was telling you what the phones were meant for but obviously you aren't willing to read. They were never designed to be a game changer they were designed to help bring old folks of 2G bricks into a very similar type of phone that runs on 3G networks. They don't have to use data or even change what they use a mobile phone for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously you have no respect for them either as you clearly just shown that

Really? I work with them so I take offense at that, I'd wind your neck in if you are going to discuss respect kiddo or you are going to make yourself look like an idiot.

Your experience comes from where exactly? details please.....
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    You are missing the entire point of what these phones are intended for. They are intended for grand parents to get them of 2G networks. It is people like them that are delaying 2G networks being switched off. No they likely wouldn't notice a massive amount of difference between these and what they have. Apart from a color screen and a basic camera. They are certainly cheap enough for a christmas or birthday present. I know I sound harsh there but I am speaking the truth they aren't designed for a radical change they are a way for networks to get people of 2G networks so they can free up spectrum.

I actually think they're more targeted at emerging markets where users can't necessarily afford smartphones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I work with them, so better wind your neck in if you are going to discuss respect kiddo or you are going to make yourself look an idiot.

Your experience comes from where exactly? details please.....

I have no reason to give you details but honestly it was your post that was the problem. I'm not trying be disrespecting to old people I'm just saying that 2G networks are going to be turned of eventually. These would work for old people who want to have a similar device but still continue when they are turned of they are reasonably priced.

If you want an example Sprint turned of there 2G network last month. AT&T and Verizon are both hoping to turn of there's as well. Not heard of anything similar in uk happening yet but as of yet we haven't got a solid 3G/4G networks but when that happens sometime around 2015. It likely that Vodafone/O2/EE will certainly consider it cutting overheads for example.
    I actually think they're more targeted at emerging markets where users can't necessarily afford smartphones.

True that could be another reason for them I hadn't considered that one. Thanks for the heads up I can certainly see you point and it is a very valid one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not trying be disrespecting to old people

Actually you publicly accused me of disrespecting old people i'd like you to give the information on which you question my integrity.

Do I question your work and professionalism here?, no!, so i'd like to know on exactly what basis you feel able to question and debate mine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually you publicy accused me of disrespecting old people i'd like you to give the information on which you question my professional integrity
    You obviously don't know many old people....speak to a few then come back and then we'll discuss points and then you can wave your e-penis some more

There you go I personally think that is you being disrespecting. Just because you work with them doesn't mean you have the right to decide for them. There is no point to discuss with them it is a simple thing 2G networks will be shut of if they want to continue using phones they have to adapt. I know it's harsh but it's how the world works. It only the same as when Analog TV was switched off and they had to buy a new TV or a free-view box.

I'm sorry if I offended your professional pride but honestly It wasn't my original intention I was just stating what I think and what is the truth. I probably didn't do it in the best way possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because you work with them doesn't mean you have the right to decide for them.

A little narrow minded of you to automatically think that just because somebody is elderly that 'somebody' will be deciding things for them. Again, proof enough from your 'does he take sugar' opinion that you have little, if any, experience of this age group and the people who work with them. But we'll leave it at that because nobody ever wins an argument on the internet

In respect of 2G being switched off, I can see nothing to suggest this anytime soon, more so because I seriously doubt that some places in Scotland and North Wales will ever see 3G. Take a look at the north areas of Scotland and North Wales on the 3G coverage checkers.......large areas of 3G wilderness
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little narrow minded of you to automatically think that just because somebody is elderly that 'somebody' will be deciding things for them. Again, proof enough from your 'does he take sugar' opinion that you have little, if any, experience of this age group and the people who work with them. But we'll leave it at that because nobody ever wins an argument on the internet

In respect of 2G being switched off, I can see nothing to suggest this anytime soon, more so because I seriously doubt that some places in Scotland and North Wales will ever see 3G. Take a look at the north areas of Scotland and North Wales on the 3G coverage checkers.......large areas of 3G wilderness

The USA which covers a much larger geographical area than the UK have already committed to 2G switch off dates AT&T intend to close their 2G network on 1st January 2017 Verizon goes even further and intends to shut off 2G, 3G CDMA networks by 2021. It happened a few years ago in Japan. Softbank switched off their 2G network in March 2010 followed by NTT DoCoMo in March 2011.

It will happen!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/03/att-plans-to-shut-down-entire-2g-network-by-2017/

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/verizon-to-shut-off-2g-3g-cdma-networks-by-2021-1103842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The USA which covers a much larger geographical area then the UK have already committed to 2G switch off dates AT&T intend to close their 2G network on 1st January 2017

The U.S has always been years ahead in technology compared to the UK. When did 4G / LTE start getting rolled out in the U.S - about 5 or 6 years ago?. In contrast a lot of networks over here are still struggling to get 3G into a lot of areas and at decent speeds, case in point, I would have to drive 25 miles to get either 02 or Vodaphone 3G coverage. Have either of those two networks actually done much 3G rollout recently? how does this compare with the speed (roll out wise) of the new technology by all of the networks in the U.S?

I wouldn't be basing estimates of the removal of 2G in the UK, purely based on the progress of U.S networks. 02 (as one example) will have a hell of a lot of catching up to do first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The U.S has always been years ahead in technology compared to the UK. When did 4G / LTE start getting rolled out in the U.S - about 5 or 6 years ago? In comparison a lot of networks over here are still struggling to get 3G into a lot of areas, case in point, I would have to drive 25 miles to get either 02 or Vodaphone 3G coverage. Have either of those networks actually done much 3G rollout recently? how does this compare with the speed (roll out wise) of the networks in the U.S?

I wouldn't be basing estimates of the removal of 2G in the UK, based on the U.S networks.

Actually the first network in america to get was verizon in December 2010 not even three years ago. So they weren't that far ahead then you have to factor in the fact that america is a far larger area to cover then the UK. So actually it is easier here to get coverage to customers. Agreed at moment 3G from Vodafone/O2 is shambles. But I think you will find 3G from EE/Three is pretty decent and covers most of UK now. Quite a bit of scotland and wales may not get 3G from Three or EE because of 2100MHz spectrum but as Vodafone and O2 use 900MHz they should be able to deliver signal in rural areas well. If they invest in infrastructure which at moment Vodafone certainly is not sure on O2. That's not even factoring in 4G which will be on 800MHz and eventually 700MHz when that is auctioned of. Those will provide the range needed for rural areas so should be able to cover most of UK. At moment I agree Vodafone/O2 are likely not in a position to switch of 2G. I wouldn't say the same for EE though I think they are slowly starting to get there 3G network to match there 2G. Not quite there yet but by end of MBNL upgrades late 2014 I think they will be.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure the US is a good guide as the CDMA networks were heading down a dead end which accelerated LTE adoption (some had to and then the others had to follow). This also influences network switch offs.

For the UK which will still have 2G/3G/4G for some years I'm not sure 2G should be the first to be switched off. Why not switch off 3G if 4G does everything 3G can and better? At least 2G has advantages for certain applications. 3G doesn't appear to have any.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can't turn off 2G in the UK (well, Scotland) for a good while yet - not, at least, until Vodafone and O2 improve their 3G coverage in the likes of the Borders. Outside of Hawick and Galashiels, the chance of getting a 3G signal is practically nil, going by the coverage maps, which seems ridiculous considering that EE and 3 have the area pretty well-covered. Having said that, even EE and 3 have some sizeable gaps - I'm on 3 and my phone often roams onto 2G (Orange?) when travelling around the region. It's a bit of a pain, as I can't use data when it does that!

edit: It's the same in Aberdeenshire, too.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Just Scotland? It's 2G only in big chucks of England and Wales if your not using EE or Three and even then it's not ideal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just Scotland? It's 2G only in big chucks of England and Wales if your not using EE or Three and even then it's not ideal.

You'll be right - other than Northumberland, though (which has generally terrible mobile coverage, let alone 3G coverage from Vodafone/O2), I wasn't too sure, so didn't want to say anything :D
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Totally agree about Aberdeenshire although it has got better with MBNL doing upgrades and more so shortly. O2/Voda is pretty much 2G everywhere outside of Aberdeen and a few large towns!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree about Aberdeenshire although it has got better with MBNL doing upgrades and more so shortly. O2/Voda is pretty much 2G everywhere outside of Aberdeen and a few large towns!

I bet they still haven't got 3G in Portlethen. :rolleyes: Seems ridiculous, considering the number of companies out there...