Options

Local TV test transmission today

Comments

• Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Ofcom has today rejected London Live's proposals to radically reduce its commitments to local content - all of them.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/16/london-live-licence-change-rejected-ofcom

The right decision in my view. LL has already had it's news on the hour removed.
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well after this story I do really hope that everyone remembers just how the Tories can dupe everyone whenever they are in power, due to a truth telling documentary Thatcher ruined ITV and so what happens this time?. They try to make up for it by opening up bidding for local tv on Freeview.

It would have made far more sense to bring back the localness to ITV but instead we are in a situation where at least one station has gone into administration before launch while the talk about make London Live's output better is just saying, well yes we are cost cutting but at the same time our on air content would be improved.

Something tells me it is an attempt to keep on air and I wonder just how long it will be until London Live hand back the licence to Ofcom?. Did anyone at the time openly ask Mr Hunt how all this would be funded/where's the money coming from and suggest ITV could have the localness brought back?.

I bet instead all their supporters were saying Good old Hunt and Cameron what a lovely idea, at least others of us know better and I still can not wait until next May or maybe sooner to have Labour back.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    It would have made far more sense to bring back the localness to ITV but instead we are in a situation where at least one station has gone into administration before launch while the talk about make London Live's output better is just saying, well yes we are cost cutting but at the same time our on air content would be improved.

It's worth reading this alternative view: http://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/2014/08/points-north-jamie-conway-ceo-of-made-television/

Unfortunately the London-centric media seem to think London Live is the only local TV channel, not to mention most of the newspaper groups have a vested interest in seeing them fail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already but while some of us await the launch of our local channel run by Made TV, I see from their website that there is an actual launch date for one of their channels Made in Bristol which launches on 8th October and is on Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media.

I just wonder if Made in Cardiff and Made in Tyne and Wear launch on the same date or if there will be staggered launches to learn from the first launch?, if there is anyone from Made TV in the know and is allowed to say could you tell us if Cardiff and Tyne and Wear will be launching before Christmas.

Obviously I know you will be sworn to silence not to say to much but could you please give us a hint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already but while some of us await the launch of our local channel run by Made TV, I see from their website that there is an actual launch date for one of their channels Made in Bristol which launches on 8th October and is on Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media.

I just wonder if Made in Cardiff and Made in Tyne and Wear launch on the same date or if there will be staggered launches to learn from the first launch?, if there is anyone from Made TV in the know and is allowed to say could you tell us if Cardiff and Tyne and Wear will be launching before Christmas.

Obviously I know you will be sworn to silence not to say to much but could you please give us a hint.

Made In Cardiff launches on the 15th October. The other two haven't announced their dates yet, but I'd expect them to do so soon.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    Under the terms of their licences Made in Tyne and Wear can launch between 15 Oct and 3 Dec 2014 and Made in Leeds between 1 Oct and 11 Feb 2015.

Expectation is that the launch dates may be nearer to the later dates stated in both cases but wait and see. Both Bristol and Cardiff are launching 28 days after the supposed latest dates on which they could launch under their licences.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect Made in Tyne and Wear to launch quickly as it is owned by the same company as others, Do hope for higher then 2 per cent signal but can't have everything.
  • Options
    JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxford currently transmitting QVC Extra and Pop on channel 29. This was used pre DSO for MuxD but MuxL is to be on 51.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JezR wrote: »
    Oxford currently transmitting QVC Extra and Pop on channel 29. This was used pre DSO for MuxD but MuxL is to be on 51.

No, Ch 29 is its permanent home. This is to facilitate a coverage extension.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah so Digital UK is behind updating its site (as well as some other places). Very useful ...
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    No, Ch 29 is its permanent home. This is to facilitate a coverage extension.

It's a strange choice, given London, Reading, and Basingstoke services are/will be also using Ch 29. I suspect some deliberate 'interference' limiting going on ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digging around the Ofcom site indicates that the new area goes out towards Aylesbury - presumably use of 51 would be difficult there because of Sandy Heath. Number of households goes up by an additional 150% or so, but makes them rather less local as this covers bits of Bucks and Northants as well as Oxon.

They don't consider interference with Reading to be 'too substantial'. Heard that before, but time will tell.

There doesn't seem to be a coverage map that I can find, but the power is actually reduced from the original plan from 10kW to only 4kW, on three lobes rather than one, and from 21m lower on the mast (as well as being out of band on a C/D aerial). Altogether this probably explains why my received power level is rather lower than I had anticipated.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »
    Digging around the Ofcom site indicates that the new area goes out towards Aylesbury - presumably use of 51 would be difficult there because of Sandy Heath. Number of households goes up by an additional 150% or so, but makes them rather less local as this covers bits of Bucks and Northants as well as Oxon.

They don't consider interference with Reading to be 'too substantial'. Heard that before, but time will tell.

I suspect interference from Reading (aka Hannington) is likely to be more of a problem, particularly those north of Beckley, than folk trying to receive the Reading service, and being zapped by Oxford
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would agree with that as being most likely followed possibly by back of the aerial where the two are 180° aligned. However, maybe the powers are so low that it won't be a practical problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some news regarding Made TV and things do seem to be looking positive in a big way as not only has the look of the homepage of the Bristol section on their site changed, but from our channel tonight I see they have now added dogs to the screen as we now have a very nice colourful Made in Tyne and Wear dog in the top left hand corner of the screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have some news regarding Made TV and things do seem to be looking positive in a big way as not only has the look of the homepage of the Bristol section on their site changed, but from our channel tonight I see they have now added dogs to the screen as we now have a very nice colourful Made in Tyne and Wear dog in the top left hand corner of the screen.

They have changed the main "picture" on the Homepage to show launch details. Other than that the homepage and the rest of the site appears, on a cursory glance, to be exactly as it was before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Local TV Update:-

Bay TV Liverpool was granted its formal licence by Ofcom yesterday. It has a launch window under that licence of 4 Dec 2014 to 18 Feb 2015.
  • Options
    deg625deg625 Posts: 75
    Forum Member

I Have Read Today ( a516digital ) that Made in Tyne and Wear launches on terrestrial tv on 12th Nov and on sky 117 on 1st Dec
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny you say that as I was looking last night and if I was looking right I see that Made in Leeds launches on November 6th and Made in Tyne and Wear launches on November 13th which is going by the actual list of launches, where as in the actual section for Twitter it has the story from a few weeks ago with the launch date of 12th November.

I guess we will find out on Monday which is when actual test transmissions should start.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny you say that as I was looking last night and if I was looking right I see that Made in Leeds launches on November 6th and Made in Tyne and Wear launches on November 13th which is going by the actual list of launches, where as in the actual section for Twitter it has the story from a few weeks ago with the launch date of 12th November.

I guess we will find out on Monday which is when actual test transmissions should start.

So we will have something different from the moving pictures thing that is on Made In Tyne and Wear now.
  • Options
    pck1967pck1967 Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    From Bay TV Liverpool Facebook page

The countdown has started!
    Its official Thursday 4th December 2014 Bay TV will be on YOUR television freeview ch.8, virgin 159
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can not believe Made TV as they have updated their website for Made in Leeds although not until sometime over the weekend/Monday of this week but it shows a caption saying Made in Leeds launches on 6th November on tv screens in pictures, here we are in the Tyne Tees region and Made in Tyne and Wear have not done anything yet.

They are still showing the same promo loop without any caption of a launch date and the page has not been changed, yet they are due to launch 1 week today which if they want viewers is very poor advertising as I wonder how many people get fed up with just seeing the same promo and same music?.

I see in the section for Local TV on the a516digital website they have changed the launch date back to 12th November where as they did list for a time 13th November, I'm looking forward to the launch of Made in Tyne & Wear and will watch it but if they are to get viewers from launch night onwards then I suggest that someone from either Made TV or Made in Tyne & Wear buck their ideas up and properly put the launch date on screen and on line.

I do find Made TVs website rather poor at being updated for all content and as for the pages for the actual local channels and these take some time to load so please Made TV can you sort this out as it is rather off putting if you have to wait more than a minute for a page to load.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I just can not believe Made TV as they have updated their website for Made in Leeds although not until sometime over the weekend/Monday of this week but it shows a caption saying Made in Leeds launches on 6th November on tv screens in pictures, here we are in the Tyne Tees region and Made in Tyne and Wear have not done anything yet.

Tyne and Wear launches a week later, so presumably their website could wait another week for an update?
    They are still showing the same promo loop without any caption of a launch date and the page has not been changed, yet they are due to launch 1 week today which if they want viewers is very poor advertising as I wonder how many people get fed up with just seeing the same promo and same music?.
    Made in Leeds only recently changed their loop; there's still time for Tyne and Wear to do the same.
    I see in the section for Local TV on the a516digital website they have changed the launch date back to 12th November where as they did list for a time 13th November, I'm looking forward to the launch of Made in Tyne & Wear and will watch it but if they are to get viewers from launch night onwards then I suggest that someone from either Made TV or Made in Tyne & Wear buck their ideas up and properly put the launch date on screen and on line.
    A tweet went out from the boss of Made TV with the number of days left until the launch of the stations. It was sent on Thursday 2nd October stating 35 days until Leeds launch (taking us 5 weeks on to Thursday 6th November) and 42 days (6 weeks) until the launch of Tyne and Wear. (Another seven days added to Thursday 6th takes us to 13th). As it happens Made TV will launch its Tyne and Wear service at 8:15 on 12th. The tweet in question went out before Leeds had even officially announced its launch date.
    I do find Made TVs website rather poor at being updated for all content and as for the pages for the actual local channels and these take some time to load so please Made TV can you sort this out as it is rather off putting if you have to wait more than a minute for a page to load.
    I suspect all hands are on deck to get the TV channel running, the website may follow later. Other local TV operators are doing it in reverse, Bay TV Liverpool is one such station. Website first, channel launch later!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    Bay TV Liverpool is one such station. Website first, channel launch later!

To be fair, they were a local video website long before they even applied to run a TV channel!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A lot of the websites are pretty bad at updating (they were quick enough to spring up when they were originally awarded the licences and some still show pages with hopelessly optimistic launch dates long passed.

Made TV appears to have its act somewhat in order.

That's TV's website still just shows That's Solent and That's Oxford as coming soon even though both should have launched by now under their licence terms. Not a scintilla of information as to what's what.

As I've said before - hardly confidence inspiring.