Options

Amazon Prime: Old-fashioned episode-a-week format

megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
Forum Member
✭✭
Is anyone else frustrated by Amazon Prime's approach to new TV series, drip-feeding them one episode a week?

I first noticed the difference between Netflix and Amazon when Vikings series 2 came out at about the same time as House of Cards season 2. My wife and I watched the entire series of House of Cards over 3 days, while I had to wait 7 excruciating days :eek: for Amazon to release the next episode of Vikings.

Why do Amazon constrain their otherwise wonderful on-demand service this way? Surely the purpose of an on-demand service is to put the customer in control of his/her viewing?

If you find yourself in agreement, please email Amazon and ask them to change their approach. And let me know I'm not the only one who finds Amazon's approach irritating :)

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon are badly run at the moment, but they might also have not have much decent TV stuff to make available. So they are spreading it out across the shelf to make it seem like they are well stocked...
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Amazon are badly run at the moment, but they might also have not have much decent TV stuff to make available. So they are spreading it out across the shelf to make it seem like they are well stocked...
    Bollocks. Most content is put up there all at once. Some content is being put up an episode a week because it is appearing shortly after broadcast like Extant for example. Netflix did the same with Breaking Bad but if it bothers you so much wait until the whole series arrives. That is what I am doing with Ripper street.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

I remember back in the 70’s that video rental shops would do that with films on Betamax.:D
  • Options
    justjaxjustjax Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    megaresp wrote: »
    Is anyone else frustrated by Amazon Prime's approach to new TV series, drip-feeding them one episode a week?

I first noticed the difference between Netflix and Amazon when Vikings series 2 came out at about the same time as House of Cards season 2. My wife and I watched the entire series of House of Cards over 3 days, while I had to wait 7 excruciating days :eek: for Amazon to release the next episode of Vikings.

Why do Amazon constrain their otherwise wonderful on-demand service this way? Surely the purpose of an on-demand service is to put the customer in control of his/her viewing?

If you find yourself in agreement, please email Amazon and ask them to change their approach. And let me know I'm not the only one who finds Amazon's approach irritating :)
    Vikings episodes are released one a week as its not an Amazon show, its a History channel show (in the States) and Amazon has the UK rights. Just as Netflix did with the last season of Breaking Bad (an AMC show), they are showing episodes once the episode has aired in the states. The same also applied to Extant (Halle Berry) which was a CBS show so again, Amazon UK can only make it available after CSB have aired it.

The only shows that Netlfix or Amazon will and can release all at once are either shows that it produces exclusivity for itself, i.e House of Cards, Orange is the New Black (Netflix), Transparent (Amazon) or older shows that have finished airing completely or the current season has ended, for example just before season 4 of Homeland started a few weeks back, Netflix made all episodes of Season 3 available.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Actually Netflix will be delivering some of their shows, one week at a time. Only on certain shows though.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Actually Netflix will be delivering some of their shows, one week at a time. Only on certain shows though.

I suppose they do it, to stop people subscribing for a month then canceling once they've seen the show.