Car Indicator bulb / replacement / orange

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on some questions I have after replacing the front left side indicator bulb.

1) Is there a reason why these are orange flashing?

2) I purchased a replacement bulb from Motor World (was doing other shopping and noticed them). I gave them the car model and he gave me a x 2 pack.

Having replaced the bulb I have noticed the opposite bulb flashes orange. The bulb I was sold is clear. But it is clearly marked a brake / indicator bulb. This one doesn't seem as bright during the day.

Do I need to go buy an orange bulb to comply with any regulations. I don't want to faff with it if its okay as getting the light out was a faff.

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on some questions I have after replacing the front left side indicator bulb.

2) I purchased a replacement bulb from Motor World (was doing other shopping and noticed them). I gave them the car model and he gave me a x 2 pack.

Having replaced the bulb I have noticed the opposite bulb flashes orange. The bulb I was sold is clear. But it is clearly marked a brake / indicator bulb. This one doesn't seem as bright during the day.

Do I need to go buy an orange bulb to comply with any regulations. I don't want to faff with it if its okay as getting the light out was a faff.

If the lense is orange then the clear bulb is fine if its clear you'll need and orange one!
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the indicator outer cover is coloured orange then a clear bulb will suffice. However, if the indicator cover is clear (or smoked as they're sometimes called) then you will need an orange bulb. More and more seem to be smoked these days.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if you fit a clear one and need an orange one, then you're really tempting the boys in blue to stop you, never mind your car being a MOT failure.

The bulb you were given is meant for the REAR of the car, where you are obliged to have coloured lenses if the bulb is shared between rear (red) and indicator (orange) functions.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Yes, go buy an amber coloured bulb.

For any interested party here is a way of identifying which bulb you might require....

http://am_application.osram.info/publish/index_en.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

I went to Halfords earlier and their system, given my Reg no. to provide the make/model of car again flagged up a clear bulb.

But I mentioned I needed an orange one and they had an alternative. I got them to fit it for me there and then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Are we talking about the side repeater or the front indicator ? , quite often you can find that the same model of car will have clear or orange lenses due to the exact spec of it , maybe your orange ones have been changed to clear ones at some point ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Front.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Front.

Halfords is normally very simple when finding what you need, they have a guide book and their parts have id numbers. Not sure why you had so much trouble with this tbh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Halfords is normally very simple when finding what you need, they have a guide book and their parts have id numbers. Not sure why you had so much trouble with this tbh!

Because as I said in post 1. I went to Motor World on a whim as I saw it in the same complex that I was shopping in.

I gave them my details just like I'd do at Halfords. They gave me the part (after looking up the details, just like Halfords).

I took the bulb home without giving any thought to whether it should be orange. I assumed (wrongly) that they would give me what I needed for the make/model of car.

After I changed it. I noticed it wasn't the same as the other.

I came on here to check, as I didn't find what I needed on Google. I was also interested in the origin of orange flashing lights, see question 1.

As I mentioned in my follow up. I have since been to Halfords. They actually were about to give me clear bulbs too, until I pointed out I needed orange.

They sorted it. Taking the other Motor World bulb out which was very tight they told me it was the wrong bulb. The little bayonet bits that stick out are not in line with each other for my car. They are slightly angled.

I learnt something.

I may not be as smart as you but I think I can help someone out on a forum without being coming across as condescending.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have silver ones at the front that flash orange