How dangerous is Skydiving?

2»

Comments

• GoodMikeyGoodMikey Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Only 1 in 15 people fall to their death. You should be fine.

link?
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »
    I'd love to do a skydve :D

There's always a risk to any kind of adrenaline-kicking activity like this, but that's part of the buzz I guess.

I did a bungee (165 ft) some years ago, and I remember standing with my toes over the platform, up in the air and ready to jump. When the guy said 'OK, 1,2, 3 JUMP, I just thought as I sailed into the air, ' Ah well, if I die, I die, nothing I can do about it now' :D
    It was also pitch black @ 5pm, November, so i could only see the lights glowing beneath me in the distance.

I was buzzng for days after I'd done it.

Your fella will absolutely be made up with your gift :)

I know exactly what you mean. Some things you just got to do in life. I can sense your excitement just the way you write about it. Some things are life changing experiences.
  • dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    What a fantastic present
    It will be an unforgettable experience.
    Let us know how it goes.

Never skydived but jumped with a static line three times
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chance of dying? About 1 in 100,000!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will never do a parachute jump, you can offer all the statistics you like (statistics can be made to prove anything i.e. 6 out 7 dwarfs aint happy)

No amount of money will convince me jump out of an aeroplane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done it. I'm not dead. It was one of the best experiences of my life.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    He'll love it, my son did it for his 21st, they videod the jump as well, which they gave us the option of buying. We did, even though it was expensive.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DennyCrane wrote: »
    I will never do a parachute jump, you can offer all the statistics you like (statistics can be made to prove anything i.e. 6 out 7 dwarfs aint happy)

No amount of money will convince me jump out of an aeroplane.

Strangely enough I both hate flying and Im a bit scared of heights.... but in spite of that I did a jump!

Can I assure U that there is NO falling sensation whatsoever when U R in freefall... its one of the weirdest things about it!!:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I know a couple of people who've done them, and they came back in one piece!

As for me, I'd never do it. It took me over 20 years to get ON a plane, so I'm in no hurry to start jumping out of them!
  • KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh thanks everyone, I really hope he likes it! :D He once asked me to do it with him, but I can't even go on a downwards escalator without sobbing my eyes out, yet alone jump out of a plane!

I was thinking about buying the video of it, but it's £110 and my mother's birthday is the day before his. So I'm running a bit low on funds. :(
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    £110 is a chunk of money. But don't worry, it will live in his memory all his life. And on the safety front, I've thrown myself out of a fully functioning aeroplane more times than many have had hot dinners, not come to any harm yet, apart from being clawed by another freefaller whilst attemting to join up. I think even 1 in 100 000 is probably overstating the danger on a 'per jump' basis. When I did it regularly, one person used to be killed or serverely injured, ie bizzarrely survive, about every 3-4 years. This I think would be something like every 500 000 jumps. Statistically, it's very safe. I believe fishing is the most dangerous sport in Britain, and that's just the amateurs. One thing with parachuting, it's hyper strict on drinking, just like being an airline pilot. Nothing for 24 hours before, and even then not a skinful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    linnylou wrote: »
    I'd love to do a skydve :D

There's always a risk to any kind of adrenaline-kicking activity like this, but that's part of the buzz I guess.

I did a bungee (165 ft) some years ago, and I remember standing with my toes over the platform, up in the air and ready to jump. When the guy said 'OK, 1,2, 3 JUMP, I just thought as I sailed into the air, ' Ah well, if I die, I die, nothing I can do about it now' :D
    It was also pitch black @ 5pm, November, so i could only see the lights glowing beneath me in the distance.

I was buzzng for days after I'd done it.

Your fella will absolutely be made up with your gift :)

People do die in parachuting disasters but I think these are freak occurences. The comparison with bunjee jumping is pertinent. I think the chances of serious injury resulting from bunjee jumping are considerably higher. The sudden pull-back from the rope can theoretically cause whiplash or even paralysis and the dental damage mentioned by someone else is also more likely because of the massive sudden pressure change in head and neck vascular structures.

I would never ever do a bunjee jump for those reasons. Not because I am too chicken but because of the medical risks. On the contrary, a parachute jump I would do. I think you have made the right choice and the jump should be a wonderful experience. Do let us know how he gets on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, I'll make sure to tell you all how it goes, it's two weeks this Sunday. :) He's not a drinker, so it shan't be too hard to tell him no! I hope he likes it as much as you say he will. :D
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kasphlam wrote: »
    Ooh thanks everyone, I really hope he likes it! :D He once asked me to do it with him, but I can't even go on a downwards escalator without sobbing my eyes out, yet alone jump out of a plane!

I was thinking about buying the video of it, but it's £110 and my mother's birthday is the day before his. So I'm running a bit low on funds. :(

I didnt bother with the vid. Theyre pretty uniform- a few shots of U getting dressed up, the plane, being in the plane, then U freefalling (which is only 30 seconds anyway) they dont film U gliding to the ground which for me was the best bit...

I thought itd be a waste of money so I declined the offer- its all about the JUMP! Tell us how it went!:D
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Kasphlam wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'll make sure to tell you all how it goes, it's two weeks this Sunday. :) He's not a drinker, so it shan't be too hard to tell him no! I hope he likes it as much as you say he will. :D

It's the most excitement you can get with your clothes on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    It is dangerous without a parachute..:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd update! He went last Sunday, it was a bit cloudy so we had to wait an hour or so but he said it was worth it. Really loved it, we bought pictures (£30) and he's got a massive grin on all of them. :D Said it was the best present ever. Well worth the money.

One of the cameramen lost his canopy and ended up drifting into the hills somewhere with his reserve. Nothing frightened me more than seeing a falling parachute.

But it was well worth it. :D