Postage question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
Forum Member
I'm sending a letter which needs to arrive by Saturday at the latest.

I tried buying some first class stamps at the local shop but they only had 2nd class. If I put 2 (or 3?) second class stamps on the same envelope and write 'First Class', do you think it would work? As technically I've paid over the price of a first class stamp.

I know it works with large letters (A4 sized) with two 1st class stamps instead of a 'Large letter' one.

Anyone know?

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they should work on the current value of the stamps not what class they say. Won't do any harm to point that out by writing 'First Class' though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can use second class stamps to make up to the price of a bigger stamp if it's a larger letter but I don't think it will put them onto the first class service. And to be honest the way the postal service is at the moment in my experience, even first class wouldn't definitely get them there by Saturday. Could you not take it to the post office and pay a little extra for guaranteed next day delivery?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sigh. invisible post.
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can use any combination of stamps to amount to the correct postage (or over) you require. Write on the envelope the service paid for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    You can use any combination of stamps to amount to the correct postage (or over) you require. Write on the envelope the service paid for.

I did not know that, thank you, I've learned something today now too!
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not know that, thank you, I've learned something today now too!

You're welcome :D
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it will be classed as first if it within the correct weight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Thanks so much everyone :)

I'll give it a try with two second class stamps and writing "First Class" on it clearly. I don't have a post office anywhere near me, that would require a trip in to town, so I'll have to make do with putting it in the post box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy postage online now, it's quite a useful service. It's probably not worth it just for a first class stamp though as I think there is a minimum spend of a couple of pounds (although you can add money to your account and use it against future purchases).
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite frankly I dont think there is a first or second class post anymore. As far as I can tell there are two charges and one service.

All the post is sorted by machine and travels together and arrives together.

The only way to get fast delivery to a garunteed time is to use special delivery. (that needs a visit to a post office)
    You could book a parcel service to pick up and deliver from your home though.
    It all costs money..