How Would You Have Preferred Ten To Have Bowed Out?

Comments

• *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    outside wrote: »
    If you add one of these - :D - you can get away with any comment you want. They're the new rolleyes.

*Eileen* is so entertaining. :D

As for Tennant, I wasn't a particular fan but a lot of people enjoyed his regeneration scene so it can't have been that bad. I'll enjoy Matt Smith's much more, I'm sure.

I didn't add the :D to get away with my comments, I don't have to apologise or find excuses for finding DT's overacting incredibly irritating and for not liking him. I didn't like him before he got the role and remember being really fed up when I discovered it was him taking over from CE. I did get used to him as the Doctor, and there were some very good episodes, but I was more than ready for his departure when he went. I'm definitely NOT a fan.
  • WhoMadWhoMad Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I would have rather had him regenerate at the end of Journey's End instead of dragging it out over a year of very poor "specials" and ending on a story that was overly long and drawn out.

Also "I don't want to go"..... Oh well, goodbye.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you add one of these - :D - you can get away with any comment you want. They're the new rolleyes.

*Eileen* is so entertaining. :D

As for Tennant, I wasn't a particular fan but a lot of people enjoyed his regeneration scene so it can't have been that bad. I'll enjoy Matt Smith's much more, I'm sure.

Outside is a very peculiar poster.:D

Just practising :)

Did you like Eccleston?
    Forum Member

Did you like Eccleston?

If that is directed at me, then yes I did, I was very disappointed when he left and still wish he had done a second series. Matt is my favourite Doctor of NuWho by a long, long way, I think he's wonderful and he restored my faith in the program again and made me enjoy it rather than just watch it (even though I never liked DT I couldn't NOT watch Dr Who) - Chris is my second favourite, I'd prefer him any day over David.
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member

I think I'm becoming part-troll. :rolleyes:
    Did you like Eccleston?

Yeah but not particularly as the Doctor. :) I think he's brilliant in The Second Coming. I'm a Tom Baker fan and no actor will ever be better for me. The three new "New Who" Doctors don't quite do it for me but the series owes them a lot for keeping it a success.
  • TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I didn't add the :D to get away with my comments, I don't have to apologise or find excuses for finding DT's overacting incredibly irritating and for not liking him. I didn't like him before he got the role and remember being really fed up when I discovered it was him taking over from CE. I did get used to him as the Doctor, and there were some very good episodes, but I was more than ready for his departure when he went. I'm definitely NOT a fan.

You didn't like him before he got the role so in other word's you had it in for him even before he became the Doctor?
    Forum Member
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    You didn't like him before he got the role so in other word's you had it in for him even before he became the Doctor?

Aren't we allowed to have opinions on actors then, sorry I didn't realise!! As I said I did get used to him, he was OK, better than I thought he'd be to be honest, and as I said there were some very good episodes - Girl in the Fireplace is still one of my all time favourites - that doesn't' mean I like him though and that doesn't mean that I thought he'd been there quite long enough by the time he left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that is directed at me, then yes I did, I was very disappointed when he left and still wish he had done a second series. .

Yeah but not particularly as the Doctor. :) I think he's brilliant in The Second Coming. I'm a Tom Baker fan and no actor will ever be better for me. The three new "New Who" Doctors don't quite do it for me but the series owes them a lot for keeping it a success.

Actually I meant outside (I was only kidding when I said you were peculiar, outside, sorry) but it's interesting to compare opinions.

I was never keen on Eccleston as the Doctor, though I admire him as an actor.

With Tennant it's the opposite, I loved his Doctor - he's easily the best Doctor ever for me, but I've not been that keen on him in other things, when he's playing a different sort of character.

Matt I like as the Doctor, but also liked in "Christopher and his Kind", the only other thing I've seen him in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    'I don't want to go' is a great line.

Maybe you have to experience life and death to understand it?
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I also have no problem with him not wanting to go. He didn't seem any more or less terrified than Christopher Eccleston was at his point of regeneration.
    Forum Member
    Actually I meant outside (I was only kidding when I said you were peculiar, outside, sorry) but it's interesting to compare opinions.

Call me what you want - just as long as you call me. ;)
    I was never keen on Eccleston as the Doctor, though I admire him as an actor.

I feel that he has a lot of scenes where he's as much the Doctor as any other incarnation but he also has a lot of scenes where he's just Christopher Eccleston saying the Doctor's lines.
    With Tennant it's the opposite, I loved his Doctor - he's easily the best Doctor ever for me, but I've not been that keen on him in other things, when he's playing a different sort of character.

I really liked "Casanova" but I don't go out of my way to follow his career. I think he's a good actor, though. He was more my idea of the Doctor than Eccleston, I have to say.
    Matt I like as the Doctor, but also liked in "Christopher and his Kind", the only other thing I've seen him in.

I really liked him in "Party Animals". I have mentioned that I'm not a fan of the Eleventh Doctor but I don't make it my mission to pop up in every thread criticising him. That's what ticks me off sometimes - rather than saying "He's not for me but good luck to those who do enjoy him", I read a lot of "I don't like Actor X cos he's rubbish! :D" It's pointless and comes across as baiting, even if that's not the intention.

It's like all the comments about "I don't want to go" being, somehow, the wrong thing for a Doctor to say. I'm shocked that forums like this aren't heaving with award-winning writers because there are so many people who can pinpoint what's "wrong" with Doctor Who scripts.
  • Blinking JackBlinking Jack Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I think some people are misinterpreting the "I don't want to go" line.

David Tennant wanted to leave, hence why he left but he was actually acting in that scene, believe it or not, and that incarnation of the Doctor (his character) didn't want to leave. Hence the "I don't want to go".

When I first saw it and he said "I don't want to go" I, like many others in this thread, thought "Well why the hell did you quit then" but it was 10 that didn't want to leave, not David Tennant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me what you want - just as long as you call me. ;)

I feel that he has a lot of scenes where he's as much the Doctor as any other incarnation but he also has a lot of scenes where he's just Christopher Eccleston saying the Doctor's lines.

I really liked "Casanova" but I don't go out of my way to follow his career. I think he's a good actor, though. He was more my idea of the Doctor than Eccleston, I have to say.

I really liked him in "Party Animals". I have mentioned that I'm not a fan of the Eleventh Doctor but I don't make it my mission to pop up in every thread criticising him. That's what ticks me off sometimes - rather than saying "He's not for me but good luck to those who do enjoy him", I read a lot of "I don't like Actor X cos he's rubbish! :D" It's pointless and comes across as baiting, even if that's not the intention.

It's like all the comments about "I don't want to go" being, somehow, the wrong thing for a Doctor to say. I'm shocked that forums like this aren't heaving with award-winning writers because there are so many people who can pinpoint what's "wrong" with Doctor Who scripts.

What you just said I 100% agree with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have mentioned that I'm not a fan of the Eleventh Doctor but I don't make it my mission to pop up in every thread criticising him. That's what ticks me off sometimes - rather than saying "He's not for me but good luck to those who do enjoy him", I read a lot of "I don't like Actor X cos he's rubbish! :D" It's pointless and comes across as baiting, even if that's not the intention.

I agree. I also am irritated by people who take it personally if you don't like "their" Doctor.

I really don't mind if someone doesn't like DT - it's all personal preference after all.

Similarly, I don't expect to be slated for not liking CE's Doctor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I also am irritated by people who take it personally if you don't like "their" Doctor.

I really don't mind if someone doesn't like DT - it's all personal preference after all.

Similarly, I don't expect to be slated for not liking CE's Doctor.

Yes I doesn't bother me if someone says that they don't like DT but when someone say's he was the worse Doctor ever and I was glad to see him go that really rage's me because I find that plain rude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather we didn't have the loooooooooooooong drawn out final 10-15mins of him somehow not regenerating and visiting everyone. He should have just sucked in the radiation, collapsed, came out to Wilf about the regeneration happening and then BANG it happens. None of this pile of **** with him travailing around. In fact, if you still want "The Line", he could have said it to Wilf:

Ten: You see this glowing, this is me regenerating.
    Wilf: Ohh is it? Oh dear. Is this what you was on about? When you say you die?
    Ten: (tears) Yes..yes it is...ohh it's been such a fun ride.
    (SILENCE)
    Ten: I don't want to go.
    (REGENERATION)

That's how I would have done it
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being sarcastic in the slightest. Can't stand David Tennant and was glad to see the back on him :D

Totally agree. :D

Bacl on the subject I don't think 10's death was that bad, it probably could of done without the pussy "I don't want to go line", I mean FFS you save the universe time and time again (with the exception of the Ood) and you are worrying about having a new mush? man up!

Then of course the whole "I'm dying but I plan on seeing all of my fwends before I go" faff was just too much. I think it would of ended much better and stronger if he had just said bye to Wilf when he said he was going to "collect his reward" then cut to the scene where he (s)talks (to) Rose before dragging his pussified emo ass back to the Tardis and regenerated.

Would it have been that hard, RTD, to do that, really! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Totally agree. :D

Bacl on the subject I don't think 10's death was that bad, it probably could of done without the pussy "I don't want to go line", I mean FFS you save the universe time and time again (with the exception of the Ood) and you are worrying about having a new mush? man up!

Then of course the whole "I'm dying but I plan on seeing all of my fwends before I go" faff was just too much. I think it would of ended much better and stronger if he had just said bye to Wilf when he said he was going to "collect his reward" then cut to the scene where he (s)talks (to) Rose before dragging his pussified emo ass back to the Tardis and regenerated.

Would it have been that hard, RTD, to do that, really! :p

BIB - Then of course we would have had 10-15 more minutes to tell the story as well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50. cal sniper round to the face.

It would have been more action packed, thats all. I thought DT was alright before the specials!
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't find that much wrong with the actual storyline for Doc 10's exit. What I did have a problem with was that it was so slow and completely atypical of his era where we had good pacy stories. I was expecting a fast moving, battle almighty for his last episode, culminating in a gripping finale in the last ten minutes leading upto the regeneration. A bit like Caves Of Androzani's last episode where it all really kicked off from the moment the opening credits stopped rolling.

We didn't get that at all, it was most disappointing. The last 20 minutes were good in themselves but it just wasn't right for that episode. We could quite easily have gone from The Doctor falling out of the booth to staggering towards the TARDIS and we'd be none the wiser.

Saying all that though, the Regeneration scene itself was a good one and Matt Smith's debut was highly memorable. :)
    Forum Member
    alwatson wrote: »

It would have been more action packed, thats all. I thought DT was alright before the specials!

What a stupid thing to post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alwatson wrote: »

And to think I used to like you.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.

The Master stabbing 10 in the face with the Docs sonic would of been a better send off. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Less stupid than "I hate david tennant because I hate him."
    And to think I used to like you.

I used to like me to, before i realised i'm an awkward ****.

It was, of course, a sarcastic/ironic comment on what some people are like. I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the visiting friends thing. As someone earlier* said, it was a reward for the viewer as well.

Joan's granddaughter was particularly good. And I loved the Ood "The universe will sing you to your sleep" reminded me of Hamlet "Flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest".

Edit * 2shy2007 said it - just checked :)