Options

Shut Up

sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
Forum Member
✭✭
:D

Been bothering me, this shut up business, Clara said shut up to Danny. The Doctor said shut up to Clara and back in the episode, The Bells of St John, Angie said to Clara " Shut up. you're not my mum"

Is there anything in this or has there been a shut up breakdown in communication between The Doctor and Clara.

Shut up:D

Comments

• Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a Moffat thing. Amy used to say it all the time. Characters written by Moffat say "shut up" far more commonly than real people do is all.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I have to admit the 'shut up' from Clara used in the conclusion of Kill the Moon was very effective.

Aside from that though it's merely a Moffatism. Just like how he kept using the word 'thing' in Series 8 to avoid being more descriptive :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trollface wrote:
    It's a Moffat thing. Amy used to say it all the time. Characters written by Moffat say "shut up" far more commonly than real people do is all.
    I suppose also depends on how you say "shut up"

A possible response of Clara to The Doctor "Doctor, did you really say shut up?, makes no sense unless you loves me":D

In Dark Water, Clara also said to Danny, shut up a few times, she wanted to say stuff to Danny, the stuff written on the post it notes, maybe there wasn't much battery on her phone and Clara chose to tell Danny she loved him, the most important thing she had to say. Words in time from her to him.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    trollface wrote: »

No, it's more like characters written by Moffat say "shut up" far more than real people think they do.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Moffat say shut up a lot.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    The one that annoys me a lot is 'i'm so sorry, at one point im sure it was said multiple times per episode, it used to just be the doctor, now everyone seems to say it as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they say sorry because they are a little sorry:confused:
  • Options
    CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way Jenna says 'Shut up' really grates on me and my whole family. Its more like 'Shuuut uuup'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also rewatching some a classic and the Doctor seems to have always been pretty fond of saying shut up... 4 repeatedly tells K9 to shut up... I just think when the serials were longer we didn't notice...
  • Options
    sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those who watched Dark Water "live" as broadcast on BBC will have heard the continuity announcer introduce the episode with "shut up, shut up, shut up", so I think people have definitely noticed the words more this series. And yes, it's better than "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" which seems to have dropped out of favour recently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    CriticFan wrote: »
    The way Jenna says 'Shut up' really grates on me and my whole family. Its more like 'Shuuut uuup'.

Northern vowels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Those who watched Dark Water "live" as broadcast on BBC will have heard the continuity announcer introduce the episode with "shut up, shut up, shut up", so I think people have definitely noticed the words more this series. And yes, it's better than "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" which seems to have dropped out of favour recently.

Didn't the lady who picked up Danny's phone say something along those lines?
  • Options
    Crocodile TearsCrocodile Tears Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    CriticFan wrote: »

^That little Blackpool babe can tell me "shuuut uup'" anytime.
    Preferably while holding her school teacher's cane. ;-)
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Doesn't bother me
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    Also rewatching some a classic and the Doctor seems to have always been pretty fond of saying shut up... 4 repeatedly tells K9 to shut up... I just think when the serials were longer we didn't notice...

10 certainly wasn't above it: 'I need ... I need ... I need you to shut up!'
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sooner you "shut up",the better you "listen".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 certainly wasn't above it: 'I need ... I need ... I need you to shut up!'

Best bit of banter in that episode that exchange... Still makes me laugh...
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently watching the s8 set. She says it an awful lot. Show rup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "shut up" and "thing" are tag words throughout series 8.
    "shut up" is a comment i connect with childhood,spoken by children and parents to each other.
    "thing" is when you are lost for words!
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clara even told Danny that during their final conversation in DW. You could argue her impatience cost Danny his life. Clara wanted to tell him the truth that she still had been traveling with the doctor. If she had just waited until he had arrived he would have still been alive and they could have sat down and had a proper conversation. Liked his cameo in LC. Sweet that he asked her to miss him for 5 minutes each day then get on with her life.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    I wonder if Moffat say shut up a lot.

Rumour has it he doesn't let his team speak in the first place...
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    "Bow tie. Get rid."

A personal favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like when Clara did that watching you motion to The Doctor in an episode, made me laugh and that's without saying shut up.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    also whats this thing about "promises".
    Thats a recurring concept this series.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to go back to the start of s8 and count just how many times clara or the doctor says shut up.