Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eyebrows perhaps?

That's the one!! Thanks.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Patrick Troughton and Jamie McCrimmon looking very old in The Two Doctors, but it still was a good bit of fun. I wouldn't mind Tennant back playing himself even if he does look older. :):):)
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any excuse for a special or multi doctor episode. Guess it is time ,money and if the actors are available to film. Think the next big celebration probably will be the 60th.
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fine? Davison was clearly a lot larger than he ever was during his era. I can accept that the "time differential" could cause the Doctor's hair and skin to age, but where did the extra fat come from?

Plus Davison played the Doctor as a grumpy old man, which was totally unlike his previous "affable young chap" performances. Honestly, do you think the Fifth Doctor we saw in Time Crash looked or acted anything like the Fifth Doctor from the early 80s?
    I haven't actually seen much of Davison's tenure, just The Five Doctors and Earth Shock, so I can't speak for his characterization, but to be honest, I don't care how the actor looks. I'd rather they didn't address it at all.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    But what about Rose? We've seen Billie come back as a pre-series Rose and as the Moment, but the character we know cannot return without addressing what became of her and Meta Ten.

Billie Piper will be asked back for a guest appearance at some point. No question.
    Of course she can, they can just pull her and ten both from the series 2 era
    Fine? Davison was clearly a lot larger than he ever was during his era. I can accept that the "time differential" could cause the Doctor's hair and skin to age, but where did the extra fat come from?

Plus Davison played the Doctor as a grumpy old man, which was totally unlike his previous "affable young chap" performances. Honestly, do you think the Fifth Doctor we saw in Time Crash looked or acted anything like the Fifth Doctor from the early 80s?

My understanding of the 'time differential' explanation was that he looked as though he would if he'd never regenerated up until the age of when he was Tennant, and people do often get a bit pudgy when they get older, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. The script was down to the writer and nothing to do with his appearance.

Besides, you can't compare one actor to another. There are some people who age a lot better than others. Tennant appeared in the 50th after nearly 4 years and looked noticeably no different, and we know he still looks like the genuine 10th doctor right now, where we are only 8 years away from the 60th, So I really doubt he is going to transform into some unrecognisable old man by then. My guess is that he'll probably look roughly the same but with some grey hair, which can easily be dyed of course.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course she can, they can just pull her and ten both from the series 2 era
    Rose was supposed to be 19 during her travels with the Doctor. (Already three years younger than Billie Piper.) By the time 2023 rolls around, Billie will be 41. That might be seriously stretching credibility. Even Glee's aged teenagers aren't in their 40s.
    My understanding of the 'time differential' explanation was that he looked as though he would if he'd never regenerated up until the age of when he was Tennant, and people do often get a bit pudgy when they get older, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. The script was down to the writer and nothing to do with his appearance.

Besides, you can't compare one actor to another. There are some people who age a lot better than others. Tennant appeared in the 50th after nearly 4 years and looked noticeably no different, and we know he still looks like the genuine 10th doctor right now, where we are only 8 years away from the 60th, So I really doubt he is going to transform into some unrecognisable old man by then. My guess is that he'll probably look roughly the same but with some grey hair, which can easily be dyed of course.
    Maybe he won't change a huge amount. Maybe he will. Tom had already changed quite a bit in the twelve years between his departure and Dimensions in Time. It made a lot more sense to cast him as the Curator / future Doctor in The Day of the Doctor.

Honestly, this:
    http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131128022604/tardis/images/b/bb/Day_of_the_Doctor_end_scene.jpeg
    and this:
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/tom-baker-day-smith.jpg
    look a lot more dignified than this:
    http://tardistopia.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/0001-p01mm8g2.jpg
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think it necessarily needs to be a anniversary to do a multi doctor story.
    What would be fun would be to take 4 Doctors (Realistically McGann, Tennant,Smith, Capaldi) give each one 1 individual episode that ties in to an overall story ark and then have them all team up in a fifth episode.

Maybe if they have another gap year at some point maybe that'd be an option, but instead of having specials spread throughout the year do it over 5 week nights as an Event series (sort of like what they did with Torchwood: Children of Earth)

Monday: McGann
    Tuesday: Tennant
    Wednesday: Smith
    Thursday: Capaldi
    Friday: all 4 team up to resolve the story

If it was well written and the ark was meaningful, then something like that might work well and it would give each Doctor a chance to shine in their own right without trying to cram everything into a single episode
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theARE wrote: »
    I dont think it necessarily needs to be a anniversary to do a multi doctor story.
    What would be fun would be to take 4 Doctors (Realistically McGann, Tennant,Smith, Capaldi) give each one 1 individual episode that ties in to an overall story ark and then have them all team up in a fifth episode.

Maybe if they have another gap year at some point maybe that'd be an option, but instead of having specials spread throughout the year do it over 5 week nights as an Event series (sort of like what they did with Torchwood: Children of Earth)

If it was well written and the ark was meaningful, then something like that might work well and it would give each Doctor a chance to shine in their own right without trying to cram everything into a single episode
    I like this.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there will be any special celebration for any milestone from now on. Possibly a little nod to the 60th and any other decade after that but nothing more. I also think we'll be another two Doctors down the line by then so the likes of Tennant and Smith may no longer be current enough.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    Rose was supposed to be 19 during her travels with the Doctor. (Already three years younger than Billie Piper.) By the time 2023 rolls around, Billie will be 41. That might be seriously stretching credibility. Even Glee's aged teenagers aren't in their 40s.

Maybe he won't change a huge amount. Maybe he will. Tom had already changed quite a bit in the twelve years between his departure and Dimensions in Time. It made a lot more sense to cast him as the Curator / future Doctor in The Day of the Doctor.

Honestly, this:
    http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131128022604/tardis/images/b/bb/Day_of_the_Doctor_end_scene.jpeg
    and this:
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/tom-baker-day-smith.jpg
    look a lot more dignified than this:
    http://tardistopia.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/0001-p01mm8g2.jpg

I see where your coming from regarding aging, but I still think a majority would rather have the person back slightly older than not at all. No way, 15 years after the one episode would they even consider bringing Tennant back as the meta doctor, the choice would be bring him back as the doctor, or decide he looks too old and not bring him back at all.

With rose there would be 2 options. Either they could have her as series 2 rose and hope people can look past her physical appearance, like with susan in the 5 doctors, or they could have her as an older rose where she gets pulled out of her timeline and he dosen't. In the second scenario not only would the meta doctor not have to be seen, he wouldn't even directly need to be referenced, they could just have rose say that she needs to get back to her boyfriend, maybe with a smirk or knowing glance to camera so that those who wouldn't be aware/wouldn't remember the meta doctor would not be confused, or the script bogged down with extra lines to reference him, but would still be a sly reference that they are still together for those of us who are interested.
    Theophile wrote: »
    I remember Patrick Troughton and Jamie McCrimmon looking very old in The Two Doctors, but it still was a good bit of fun. I wouldn't mind Tennant back playing himself even if he does look older. :):):)

This is basically where I'm coming from too. It's interesting because I posted earlier in the thread about how actors age differently and I think troughton hasn't aged half as much in all that time between his era and the two doctors than how fast Tom Baker has aged. In any case, would rather have Tennant back playing the doctor once more than not at all.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theARE wrote: »

Obviously would rather they keep doing regular full series, but if they did want to take a bit of a breather (relatively speaking) I think that's a great idea!