QI Series 'N' Taping Thread

samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's that time of year again when QI starts recording their new series. This time, however, we've got a new host in Sandi Toksvig.
They start recording today. I'm curious to see the guest lists and see who the newcomers will be and who will return?
Hopefully the programme will not change too much.

Comments

• JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samusek2 wrote: »
    Hopefully the programme will not change too much.

Hopefully, it will! The last series was awful. I used to love the programme and always watch the XL version, but last series the normal version went on too long for me.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is this thread?
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    I think they should have used Stephen Fry's departure as an opportunity to ditch Alan Davies. They could have just said they want to freshen it all up so nothing personal. ;-) I don't really think Davies adds much to the show anymore. Generally I find him annoying but also it doesn't seem like he is that "interested" anyway. Also while on those lines I wish they would keep Phill Jupitus off the show for a while (i.e. until the show ends). The diminishing standard suggests they may not make it to Z unless they make more changes than the enforced host change.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is this thread?

Ah, an existentialist!

I think Sandi will be good as she's clever, witty and sharp enough to deal with things;.and has an engaging personality (and infectious laugh!) so it might give the show a bit of freshness. I like QI, but have found it becoming a little stale in the last few series...
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh! Sandi bleeding Toksvig, can't stand her. They should have gone the HIGNFY route and had a different presenter each episode, might have helped freshen things up a bit. As it is the thought of being double-teamed by the unfunny Sandi and Alan each week is too much to bear so I'll be bailing on QI from now on.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Week 1
    Naming Names: Phill Jupitus, Cariad Lloyd, Romesh Ranganathan
    Nordic: Lucy Beaumont, Rhod Gilbert, Jason Manford
    Nature: David Baddiel, Cariad Lloyd, Ross Noble
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    They should have gone the HIGNFY route

They tried that and it got relegated back to BBC2 ;-)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Ah, an existentialist!

I think Sandi will be good as she's clever, witty and sharp enough to deal with things;.and has an engaging personality (and infectious laugh!) so it might give the show a bit of freshness. I like QI, but have found it becoming a little stale in the last few series...

I hope she doesn't try to crowbar in a catchphrase as she's done with her quiz shows.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Urgh! Sandi bleeding Toksvig, can't stand her. They should have gone the HIGNFY route and had a different presenter each episode, might have helped freshen things up a bit. As it is the thought of being double-teamed by the unfunny Sandi and Alan each week is too much to bear so I'll be bailing on QI from now on.
    That's fine by me. I find Sandi Toksvig and Alan Davies very funny. Also I don't get what people hate about Phil Jupitus. He was good on Buzzcocks. Not my favourite panel show guest but he's OK.

As long as they don't have Sandi Toksvig doing conjuring tricks I'll be happy.

I don't think a guest host would work well on QI. The HIGNFY host is mostly scripted so anyone with some comic timing can do it. QI needs more ad lib wit between the guests and the host to really work properly.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I hope she doesn't try to crowbar in a catchphrase as she's done with her quiz shows.

She is allowed catchphrase just as long as it is less loathsome than the utterly irritating way Mr Fry had taken to saying "good evening" at the start of the show.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    I think they should have used Stephen Fry's departure as an opportunity to ditch Alan Davies. .

Yes. Davies seems to think simply shouting constitutes humour. Obviously should have got rid of Fry and his drunken, slurred ramblings years ago.
  • gopher_uk1gopher_uk1 Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    The moment the otherwise amazing Fry started do magic tricks without explaining them I lost my interest in the show. Hopefully Sandi can rescue it.
    Forum Member
    gopher_uk1 wrote: »
    The moment the otherwise amazing Fry started do magic tricks without explaining them I lost my interest in the show. Hopefully Sandi can rescue it.

If he explained them then he wouldn't still be a member of The Magic Circle.
  • Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I attended yesterday afternoon's recording. VCM, Jimmy Carr and Giles Brandreth were the panellists. Being an avid Only Connect fan, it was great to see Victoria.

Sandi was a surprisingly good host.

I really enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    I think they should have used Stephen Fry's departure as an opportunity to ditch Alan Davies. They could have just said they want to freshen it all up so nothing personal. ;-) I don't really think Davies adds much to the show anymore. Generally I find him annoying but also it doesn't seem like he is that "interested" anyway. Also while on those lines I wish they would keep Phill Jupitus off the show for a while (i.e. until the show ends). The diminishing standard suggests they may not make it to Z unless they make more changes than the enforced host change.

Atleast he won't be doing his Fry posh boy impersonation. I got the impression that although Fry was smiling and laughing along inside he was thinking oh shut up you fat unfunny oaf.
  • ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,677
    Forum Member
    Slipknot vocalist Corey Taylor is to make his QI debut in Series N alongside Aisling Bea and Ross Noble who will be joining Sandi Toksvig and Alan Davies.

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-05-10/corey-taylor-to-appear-on-hit-bbc-panel-show-qi

So there ya go, someone new and COMPLETELY left field.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Week 2
    Noisy: Aisling Bea, Ross Noble, Corey Taylor
    TBA: Gyles Brandreth, Jimmy Carr, Victoria Coren Mitchell
    Naval: Ronni Ancona, Jimmy Carr, Johnny Vegas
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Romesh Ranganathan on episode 1. Is he just appearing on anything and eveything these days ?
  • Brendan MulcakyBrendan Mulcaky Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Davies ruined the show for me a long time ago. He does not know when to simply shut up. He gets a slight laugh for something & leaps on it for 5 minutes. Just stop!

I hope Sandi doesn't shoehorn in her leftie leanings like she did on The News Quiz.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Haven't watched it in a long while now; thought ST had already taken over tbh. What used to be a fun and quite witty panel show a notch or two above the others with interesting and mainly intelligent guests, long ago degenerated into just another panel show where everyone attempts to crowbar in a joke or a witticism to get the biggest laugh, or states the obvious then does the big 'huh why? why?' when the klaxons go off.

ST ruined The News Quiz for me; there's certainly no reason to start watching QI again with her at the helm.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it was getting a bit tired in the last few series, I will miss Stephen Fry as the presenter. He seemed to have genuine enthusiasm with many of the topics the show covered, as well as a huge wealth of knowledge on tap to confirm or correct what the quests were saying. He also had funny schoolmaster / schoolboy type interactions with Alan Davies, so that will obviously be missing with Toksvig presenting. Not really a fan of hers and think the show will suffer without Fry, but we'll see.
    gopher_uk1 wrote: »

Perhaps you've not noticed, but magicians generally don't tell the audience how they do their tricks.
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Yes. Davies seems to think simply shouting constitutes humour. Obviously should have got rid of Fry and his drunken, slurred ramblings years ago.
    Alan Davies ruined the show for me a long time ago. He does not know when to simply shut up. He gets a slight laugh for something & leaps on it for 5 minutes. Just stop!

I hope Sandi doesn't shoehorn in her leftie leanings like she did on The News Quiz.

Couldn't agree more. Jupitus (among a few others) is also prone to both these tendencies.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Atleast he won't be doing his Fry posh boy impersonation. I got the impression that although Fry was smiling and laughing along inside he was thinking oh shut up you fat unfunny oaf.

You may be right but someone involved in the show must like him as (according to Wikipedia) he is the third most regular guest with 35 appearances! If you google Phill Jupitus is not funny or similar you will find there are several discussions where people are bemused by his success. Fair enough that some will like him but the signs are that they are certainly outnumbered by people who find him utterly unfunny. So why is he booked so often? :confused: There must be many others keen to appear.
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Romesh Ranganathan on episode 1. Is he just appearing on anything and eveything these days ?

Yes it would seem so. There was a thread on here a while back that also showed how he has appeared on an incredible variety of different types of show recently (rather than just a panel show regular). Good for him I suppose but maybe less is more sometimes.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Although it was getting a bit tired in the last few series, I will miss Stephen Fry as the presenter. He seemed to have genuine enthusiasm with many of the topics the show covered, as well as a huge wealth of knowledge on tap to confirm or correct what the quests were saying. He also had funny schoolmaster / schoolboy type interactions with Alan Davies, so that will obviously be missing with Toksvig presenting. Not really a fan of hers and think the show will suffer without Fry, but we'll see.

Perhaps you've not noticed, but magicians generally don't tell the audience how they do their tricks.

BIB: I agree, I'll miss Stephen on the show :(
    I was reading a couple of QI books on holiday last year and couldnt help but read them in his voice ;-)
    Forum Member
    Couldn't agree more. Jupitus (among a few others) is also prone to both these tendencies.

You may be right but someone involved in the show must like him as (according to Wikipedia) he is the third most regular guest with 35 appearances! If you google Phill Jupitus is not funny or similar you will find there are several discussions where people are bemused by his success. Fair enough that some will like him but the signs are that they are certainly outnumbered by people who find him utterly unfunny. So why is he booked so often? :confused: There must be many others keen to appear.

It might be the agent. I know Alan, Brand and Bailey have been good friends and colleagues for years since their early comedy store days and I wouldn't be surprised if Jupitus was also part of the group.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep Romesh is taking the diversity role that Lenny Henry occupied for many years.