Do you consider yourself European?

Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
Forum Member
I ask because most people I have come across (who voted leave at least), seems to think of themselves as not being European. Rather we are an island in Europe but not connected to Europe. Identity seems to be more individual and national rather than continental. Specifically in the British Isles, many folk prefer to think of themselves as English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh.

It also has to be said most I know don't have direct links to Europe family and ancestry wise, which is also a strong factor. Thats not to say of course that people here don't favour a strong relationship with Europe, merely pointing out that the UK has always saw itself as British (include inidvidual nationalities) before anything else.

How you do feel?

Do you consider yourself European 283 votes

Yes
49% 141 votes
No
50% 142 votes

Comments

• StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I feel European. :)

Or a British European if there was an option. ;)
  • Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    I think most on the continent see themselves by nationality just the same, being European rarely comes up except when talking of the EU.

I see myself as Scottish here in the British Isles, outside I'm British. .
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recognise that I'm a European because that's where I was born, but there's no sense of 'common European heritage' as such.
    It's easy to knock what some see as 'island mentality' but it has helped shaped us. And the French seem to have a strong sense of national identity even though they adjoin other countries.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel European as such. Europe is a political construct when every country has its own identity. I am sure that Germans feel German and the French regard themselves as French before they consider themselves 'European.'

Everybody has their own national identity. It doesn't mean that if you regard yourself this way, you are anti-European or anti any other country.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a sentimental level, I would call myself European.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not especially. I do feel British, but more Asian than European.
  • SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mexico is in North America but do they feel aligned to the USA or Canada?
    And what part of Europe should we feel like, Portugal or Russia or any other country in between?
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, in the sense I'm from the UK which is part of the continent of Europe, yes because that's a fact, anything more deep and meaningful to it, no.
  • Nigel_BrooksNigel_Brooks Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am English , nothing else .
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably only as an alternative to American, Asian etc but I would rarely think in those terms.
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what's more worrying the question or the results :s

I am proud that I voted to leave the European UNION. However, I and most leavers are well aware that Britain is and always will be situated in the continent of Europe meaning that we are Europeans. However, my nationality is British / English.
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Yes I identify primarily as European
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't feel European as such. Europe is a political construct when every country has its own identity. I am sure that Germans feel German and the French regard themselves as French before they consider themselves 'European.'

Everybody has their own national identity. It doesn't mean that if you regard yourself this way, you are anti-European or anti any other country.

True, but it also doesn't mean that, to quote our wonderful Prime Minister, "if you believe you are a citizen of the world, you are a citizen of nowhere". Jingoistic shite like that is pathetic. There is an European sensibility that certainly resonates within me, whereas on a personal level, I could never feel that way about America, having worked in various countries in Europe and the US.
  • Cupcake_PuppyCupcake_Puppy Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    European is a mix, English people have pedigree.
  • SlugerSluger Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ditto
  • ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born and spent the first 18 years of my life in Wales, then moved to England married an English girl and have three English daughters. I consider myself British. I live on the European continent. When on holiday in the US I describe myself as British, not Australian :D
  • Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was born in a European country to citizens of said county. Therefore I am European. Seems to be a lot of people in the poll either didn't have the same circumstance of being born, to me or are living in some kind of fantasy world.
  • Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    Anyone who is English, Irish, Scottish, or Welsh is British and European by default.

I am Kentish, English, British and European but I would describe myself to a foreigner as English or British pretty much interchangeably.
  • Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    I ask because most people I have come across (who voted leave at least), seems to think of themselves as not being European. Rather we are an island in Europe but not connected to Europe. Identity seems to be more individual and national rather than continental. Specifically in the British Isles, many folk prefer to think of themselves as English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh.

It also has to be said most I know don't have direct links to Europe family and ancestry wise, which is also a strong factor. Thats not to say of course that people here don't favour a strong relationship with Europe, merely pointing out that the UK has always saw itself as British (include inidvidual nationalities) before anything else.

How you do feel?

Born in London, so English, British and European. Proud to be all three. The cultural connections that bind all three are far stronger than your Little England nonsense.
  • DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am proud to call myself this, and only this. ^^^^
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    Born and spent the first 18 years of my life in Wales, then moved to England married an English girl and have three English daughters. I consider myself British. I live on the European continent. When on holiday in the US I describe myself as British, not Australian :D

And when you speak to US tourists here they will tell you the likes of "We've come to England to meets the Brits" even if they are in Scotland;-)) and then say "And after this we're going on to two weeks in Europe" (usually Paris / Rome).:D
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has bring European got to do with the EU?
  • DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Born in London, so English, British and European. Proud to be all three. The cultural connections that bind all three are far stronger than your Little England nonsense.

BiB, suggest you go and ask the French, German, Spanish or Italians what/how they identify themselves before considering insulting other forum members.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First and foremost though, I'm a Londoner, and sometimes refer to myself as London Irish, having Irish parents. I can't say I've ever felt particularly "English", and I have an Irish passport (have had one all my life). I nearly bit the bullet and got an English one last time, but guess what...it was more expensive than an Irish one and there was a longer waiting time, and I needed one urgently. Am glad I stuck with the Irish one bearing in mind what may happen in this country over the next few years...
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never identify myself as being European, I consider myself to be English, my heritage, ancestry - and I have so far traced my family right back to 1700's - are all firmly in England, mostly in the north east of England, we are obviously a family of homebodies :)