Django unchained

chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
Forum Member
I see that it has been released on DVD, how long normally before sky will show on sky movies and sky go?

apologies if not the right forum.

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually around 6 months or so, after DVD/Blu Ray release.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Usually around 6 months or so, after DVD/Blu Ray release.

Thank you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be probably be one of the big Xmas movies on Premiere.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect the following to be around Xmas.

Lincoln, A Good Day to Die Hard, Wreck it Ralph, Flight, Oz the Great and Powerful.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this last night and was really enjoying it until Tarantinos turn as an Austrlalian miner..took me right out!
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    Just watched this last night and was really enjoying it until Tarantinos turn as an Austrlalian miner..took me right out!

But that is what he does...in his films... one of my favourite films ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tarantino has about four lines. Hardly enough to ruin the film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »

It just took me out of the narrative of it. The last 20 minutes felt a bit flabby. It didn't help that i then recognised John Jarret as the other miner, He plays the killer in my favourite horror movie Wolf Creek, so i had this double whammy of having to recognisable people as actors and not the characters they where supposed to be playing.

It's something that bugs me about Tarantinos casting. He loves sticking in actors from cult/grindhouse cinema. I spotted Don Stroud, Tom Woppat, Bruce Dern. All great actors, but it gives me a niggle that they have been hired because of their past glories not because they were the best actor for the part. Oh and that whole KKK hoods gag with Jonah Hill belongs in Blazing Saddles 2 Barts Back!!:)
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just took me out of the narrative of it. The last 20 minutes felt a bit flabby. It didn't help that i then recognised John Jarret as the other miner, He plays the killer in my favourite horror movie Wolf Creek, so i had this double whammy of having to recognisable people as actors and not the characters they where supposed to be playing.

It's something that bugs me about Tarantinos casting. He loves sticking in actors from cult/grindhouse cinema. I spotted Don Stroud, Tom Woppat, Bruce Dern. All great actors, but it gives me a niggle that they have been hired because of their past glories not because they were the best actor for the part. Oh and that whole KKK hoods gag with Jonah Hill belongs in Blazing Saddles 2 Barts Back!!:)
    I felt the same, only it was Russ Tamblyn and Ted Neeley for me. Tarantino must be a musical fan...
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    I felt the same, only it was Russ Tamblyn and Ted Neeley for me. Tarantino must be a musical fan...
    Or possibly in cult westerns of which I would have no knowledge.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »

Oh I agree. Tarantino's pathetic efforts at an Australian(?) accent pale into insignificance compared to the cliched, gratuitous revenge ending. That was what ruined the film. I really expected something better from Tarantino than that sort of lazy, politically correct Hollywood morality.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just watched this film on Blu-Ray courtesy of Lovefilm.

I found it grossly overlong, although I do admit that some scenes were outstanding. However, they were few and far between. Some of the talky scenes went on far too long, consequently the film dragged almost to a snail's pace which spoiled it a bit.

Curiously enough, Tarantino made the same mistake with "Inglorious Basterds". He must think viewers love sitting through talky scenes when hardly anything happens. He really needs to think very hard about pacing his films better and keeping the audience interested.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »

I found it grossly overlong, although I do admit that some scenes were outstanding. However, they were few and far between. Some of the talky scenes went on far too long, consequently the film dragged almost to a snail's pace which spoiled it a bit.

Curiously enough, Tarantino made the same mistake with "Inglorious Basterds". He must think viewers love sitting through talky scenes when hardly anything happens. He really needs to think very hard about pacing his films better and keeping the audience interested.

He wouldn't be wrong, Tarantino is frequently praised for the quality of the dialogue in his films. Plenty of people enjoy the talky scenes, myself included.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    He must think viewers love sitting through talky scenes when hardly anything happens. He really needs to think very hard about pacing his films better and keeping the audience interested.

I honestly hope this doesn't come across as rude, but it's a bit fresh for some random bloke on an internet forum to tell Quentin Tarantino how to pace his films, especially as both Django and Inglourious were so well received, both critically and with audiences (it seems). Didn't he win an Oscar for his Django script?

It's not a failing of his writing ability that the film didn't work for you. Sorry, but I felt I had to say it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    shoot wrote: »
    I honestly hope this doesn't come across as rude, but it's a bit fresh for some random bloke on an internet forum to tell Quentin Tarantino how to pace his films, especially as both Django and Inglourious were so well received, both critically and with audiences (it seems). Didn't he win an Oscar for his Django script?

It's not a failing of his writing ability that the film didn't work for you. Sorry, but I felt I had to say it.

They may have been well received, but the editing and running length of both has been criticized by quite a few people. He's an excellent writer and director, but somebody really needs to start questioning his self-indulgence and editing (or more precisely lack of editing).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tarantinos long time editor (cant remember her name) passed away before Inglorious Bastards was made. His new editing team probably do indulge him,but his bad stuff is 10 times better than other directors general output.
    I've watched DU 4 times now, i wasn't a massive fan first time round but on repeated viewings i'd say it's one of his better films since Pulp Fiction. Problem is how can anyone top Resevoir Dogs as their first film!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Tarantinos long time editor (cant remember her name) passed away before Inglorious Bastards was made. His new editing team probably do indulge him,but his bad stuff is 10 times better than other directors general output.

I'm not saying any of his films are bad (the ones I've seen have all been very good). I'm just saying maybe Inglourious Basterds would have been better if he'd shaved 20 mins off it. And did we really need a Kill Bill Vol. 2? Vol. 1 more than stood up on it's own...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, while I usually love the Tarnatino dialogue, I found Django Unchained to be unnecessary and boring in places. The film dragged for me as well, it was painful at times. Of course where the film is good, its truly excellent, but there were a lot of dialogue misses and a lot of it was completely superfluous.

Still, Tarantino does as he pleases and the film is still a cracker :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He must think viewers love sitting through talky scenes when hardly anything happens.

I'd say the millions in the bank, critical acclaim, golden globes, BAFTAs, oscars and his Palme d'or probably helped him come to that conclusion.. :rolleyes:
  • Qui Quae QuodQui Quae Quod Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Oh I agree. Tarantino's pathetic efforts at an Australian(?) accent pale into insignificance compared to the cliched, gratuitous revenge ending. That was what ruined the film. I really expected something better from Tarantino than that sort of lazy, politically correct Hollywood morality.

You thought the ending was politically correct? The whole film was a revenge fantasy. In much the same way that Hitler getting brutally killed in Inglorious Basterds was an OTT bit of cinematic carnage that doesn't feel too far away from the melting faces of Nazis at the end of Raiders, Django finally giving a particularly nasty little shit what had been coming to him is the exhalation, the cinematic punching of the air that the protagonist has earned.

If anything, the fact that Django is denied the chance to kill Candie shows that political correctness is not high on the agenda. If the denouement had been Django gratuitously plugging holes in the evil white man, then you'd have a point.

But Tarantino turning up as an Australian really did throw the whole ending off. There's a good five minutes that are spent adjusting back into the story because of his comedy Aussie routine. It almost ruins the satisfaction of the ending. But, like I said, the protagonist who gets dumped on throughout the film, finally serving his brand of justice to a bastard - that's not PC, that's just narrative closure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check_it wrote: »
    I'd say the millions in the bank, critical acclaim, golden globes, BAFTAs, oscars and his Palme d'or probably helped him come to that conclusion.. :rolleyes:

You nailed it :)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    If anything, the fact that Django is denied the chance to kill Candie shows that political correctness is not high on the agenda. If the denouement had been Django gratuitously plugging holes in the evil white man, then you'd have a point.

What do you mean 'If'? That was the denouement. As I say, the black guy killing all the evil white racists in a gratuitous, blood-splattered way is lazy Hollywood morality. It's as if Tarantino is forestalling criticism of using the word 'niggėr' by saying 'Look, it's OK because everyone who says that word gets killed'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean 'If'? That was the denouement. As I say, the black guy killing all the evil white racists in a gratuitous, blood-splattered way is lazy Hollywood morality. It's as if Tarantino is forestalling criticism of using the word 'niggėr' by saying 'Look, it's OK because everyone who says that word gets killed'.

It's a Tarrantino film, everyone dies regardless of what they say.
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Django Unchained. The soundtrack is awesome. I mean, who doesn't pull out their air six-shooter and pretend to mow down cowboys with a rapid hammer pull when I Giorni Dell'ira plays?
  • who-mewho-me Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    For me it's the best tarantino film and Foxx is very easy on the eye. The soundtrack is a winner too.