Well Done to Matt - 5th best selling X Factor Winner's Single ever!

Comments

• BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pixiepie wrote: »
    Thats true.
    Im not a Joe fan but even I can see that Olly has been given some massive advantages. Rather unfair considering Joe was the winner.

Though I guess a lot of thats to do with the joint deal.Makes me wish Matt could have something similar.
    Syco seems to be a bit of a disaster area in that respect.

I doubt it. I'd say most of it is to do with Olly having been Simon's chosen one.

Has Joe had an hour long documentary made about him with Simon gushing intermittently throughout?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    I didn't want to contribute to an Xfactor Christmas No One

It's a pity more people didn't adopt that attitude.
  • pixiepiepixiepie Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it. I'd say most of it is to do with Olly having been Simon's chosen one.

Has Joe had an hour long documentary made about him with Simon gushing intermittently throughout?

No idea. Didn't even know Olly had one.
    The impression I got last year was that Simon was really pushing for a Joe win. I remember thinking it was weird because, although I didn't rate him, I assumed Simon would find Olly the more marketable of the two.
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The impression I got last year was that Simon was really pushing for a Joe win. I remember thinking it was weird because, although I didn't rate him, I assumed Simon would find Olly the more marketable of the two.

Me too, but I think he knew the voting % so he knew Joe was going to win, so he changed ships, although not really as it is obvious now post x factor that he prefers olly as the better short term cash cow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Wow, the 5th best selling winner's single ever! Some would wonder how he managed to attain such a lofty position (ahem) with such a middle-of-the-road drone of a song...

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but it's interesting that Shayne Ward's song is the highest-selling and it's the only one, as far as I'm aware, that was a new, original song that didn't exist outside the show. Maybe that's why he had, according to those figures, significantly higher sales than the others?

I think if Matt had a better song, whether another cover or an entirely new one, he might have sold a few more, (although with the huge fanbase the show has, maybe that argument is irrelevant?). When We Collide is a bit dull IMO (as if you couldn't tell from my opening sentence...;))
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member

Simon found Joe marketable until he came out. Simon doesn't have a clue how to market a young male singer who is openly gay. In fact I don't think he believes you can.
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but it's interesting that Shayne Ward's song is the highest-selling and it's the only one, as far as I'm aware, that was a new, original song that didn't exist outside the show.

That's right. It is.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think his long term future can be measured by comparing previous winner singles, I think he deserved to win, I love the song and I think he stands a better chance than most to have long term sucess, he has a determination about him and he plays an instruments and writes as well, that should help. I wish him well, I enjoyed every one of his performances. I never rated Joe but I am sad he hasn't lived up to the hype, I think they all do well to win.
    Forum Member
    paralax wrote: »
    I don't think his long term future can be measured by comparing previous winner singles, I think he deserved to win, I love the song and I think he stands a better chance than most to have long term sucess, he has a determination about him and he plays an instruments and writes as well, that should help. I wish him well, I enjoyed every one of his performances. I never rated Joe but I am sad he hasn't lived up to the hype, I think they all do well to win.

I don't know how you can interpret bumming around for 10 years as a sign of determination.

He plays an instrument (adequately) but so what? Those who have had the biggest successes after the competition don't play instruments on stage though some of them are able to play.

Yes, he writes but he's been doing that for years without much success, despite his entering a few other competitions before and the music being available, which isn't a ringing endorsement of the quality and viability of his compositions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    As of 2 days ago he sold 560,000 not bad going at all ;)
    Nearing 700,000 by Sunday I'm thinking. He is averaging 40,000 a day (which is enough to be #1 usually)
    Which would fall 100k short of Joe's two week total.

:confused:

Joe sold 451k in his first week and 196k in his second for a two week total of 647k.

Matt sold 439k in his first week so if he sells anything over 208k this week he will pass Joe's two week total.

We already know he sold 120k Sun-Tues, so another 90k for the last 3 days is not at all unrealistic.

If he does fall short of Joe's total, it will be by a pretty small margin.
    Forum Member
    smileygirl wrote: »
    :confused:

Joe sold 451k in his first week and 196k in his second for a two week total of 647k.

I'll have to check this but I think 196k were download sales alone that week and his total was over 300k.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I don't know how you can interpret bumming around for 10 years as a sign of determination.

It's amazing what they'll concoct to try and convince us. :D

According to Matt's ex-girlfriend he would do a couple of gigs a week at the most and a couple of four-hour shifts 'painting and decorating'. The rest of the time, as Matt has admitted, he did nothing except swear, drink, smoke and have sex. Quite why he thinks he's entitled to winning the X Factor, or quite how he thinks he deserved to win it, is beyond me. It seems he expected success to faill into his lap without having to do anything to earn it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to check this but I think 196k were download sales alone that week and his total was over 300k.

http://www.theofficialcharts.com/chart-news/joe-mcelderry-gets-his-number-one/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol some of you anti-Matt fans are really bitter about him winning the show and grasping at straws to try and make out he's going to flop. Maybe he will, I don'tk now! How you can use his single sales as an indication though is beyond me. Using other's arguments of Joe and Leona having similar selling figures and look at the contrast there!

Merry Christmas Eve all.
  • Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smileygirl wrote: »

So, it's VERY possible Matt will overtake Joe by Sunday, even if its by 10k or so.
  • BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol some of you anti-Matt fans are really bitter about him winning the show and grasping at straws to try and make out he's going to flop. Maybe he will, I don'tk now! How you can use his single sales as an indication though is beyond me. Using other's arguments of Joe and Leona having similar selling figures and look at the contrast there!

From what I can see, many of those less than enamoured with Matt didn't seem to be supporting any act in particular this year, so why would they be bitter about him winning?

Joe and Leona didn't have anywhere near similar sales of their winners' singles - either first week or total - so I don't know where you're getting that info from.
  • Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    So, it's VERY possible Matt will overtake Joe by Sunday, even if its by 10k or so.

Just slightly:

Matt Week 1: 439,007
    Matt Week 2: 299,996
    2 week total: 739,003

Joe week 1: 450,838
    Joe Week 2: 195,729

2 week total: 646,567

Making Matt's 2nd week sales the 2nd highest after Alexandra's 311k (heavily boosted by the Woolworths closures), that suggests to me unless everyone was waiting until the 2nd week, his first week tally WAS very likely affected by distribution problems as reported by people earlier in this thread.:cool:
  • outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    Just slightly:

Making Matt's 2nd week sales the 2nd highest after Alexandra's 311k (heavily boosted by the Woolworths closures), that suggests to me unless everyone was waiting until the 2nd week, his first week tally WAS very likely affected by distribution problems as reported by people earlier in this thread.:cool:
    Well done Matt..his first weeks sales were definately hamper by the weather and with a week to go until chrimbo people felt they had time to shop..I have not got the CD yet cant get it but wil be buying after christmas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    Just slightly:

As if :rolleyes: Alexandra's single broke download records.

Matt's fans still have to clutch at straws even when reporting something positive about him.

His sales may have been affected by the weather but even if you factored in the maximum 2.6% downturn in general sales last week, it still wouldn't have taken him above third lowest on the list.

By the same token, it can be argued that along with those who bought it this week and were planning to buy it this week anyway, many of his fans who bought it last week also bought it this week when they saw the less the spectacular sales and browned their knickers over his future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Matt's fans still have to clutch at straws even when reporting something positive about him.

His sales may have been affected by the weather but even if you factored in the maximum 2.6% downturn in general sales last week, it still wouldn't have taken him above third lowest on the list.

By the same token, it can be argued that along with those who bought it this week and were planning to buy it this week anyway, many of his fans who bought it last week also bought it this week when they saw the less the spectacular sales and browned their knickers over his future.

I think you're severely overestimating the number of die hard fans Matt would have who check out exactly how much he's selling and then buy more.:confused:

I love Matt but I still haven't bought it.

To suggest a weeks sales is based upon a load of fans who multi bought is ridiculous.

I think your clutching at straws in reporting something negative on him.
    I don't get this forum at times.
  • Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

oh lord !!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    , many of his fans who bought it last week also bought it this week when they saw the less the spectacular sales and browned their knickers over his future.

Oh lawwwwwwd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh lord !!:rolleyes:

Indeed.
    I really don't know why people feel the need to be ridiculously negative.

I wasn't a fan of Joe's last year but was happy for him when he got the number one and would like to see him do well even though he's not my cup of tea.
    Dunno why you'd be bothered trying to bring any of the contestents down tbh.
  • Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She broke download records in the FIRST week. When she sold 311K second week and a high proportion of them were physicals, woolworths having massive quantities of the single in it's closing down sale was widely attributed to helpingcontributing to that high figure, normally there is a big drop off in x factor sales and people were surprised.

I think you're the one that's clutching at straws to discredit his sales figures in some way by your final statement to be honest:cool: