Options

Matt Lucas as Thenardier

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I own the 10th Anniversary Concert DVD (the clips from that were much appreciated, especially when they showed the gorgeous Michael Maguire!) but I've never actually seen the show live. I really want to go now, it's reignited my enthusiasm for the show!

You really should see it - it's the best theatrical musical ever, in my opinion. I've been a die-hard fan of it for over a decade and have seen it live several times. Quite gutted I didn't get to go to the o2 concert, which sounds like it was fantastic.

I only wish I'd been old enough to see the original version of the show with the original cast. Frances Ruffelle is my favourite Eponine but I've never been able to see her live.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    You really should see it - it's the best theatrical musical ever, in my opinion. I've been a die-hard fan of it for over a decade and have seen it live several times. Quite gutted I didn't get to go to the o2 concert, which sounds like it was fantastic.

I only wish I'd been old enough to see the original version of the show with the original cast. Frances Ruffelle is my favourite Eponine but I've never been able to see her live.

I finally managed to see the show when the 25th Anniversary Tour came to Norwich at the start of the year :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I finally managed to see the show when the 25th Anniversary Tour came to Norwich at the start of the year :D

Hooray! :) I take it you enjoyed it. :) How were the cast?
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    I saw him in his first major show - Pirates of Penzance in Manchester with Paul Nicholas. You could tell he was going to be a star then.

I am green with envy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    I am green with envy!

Me too. Michael Ball was extremely adorable when younger. He still is now, but he was hot back when he was slim.
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. Michael Ball was extremely adorable when younger. He still is now, but he was hot back when he was slim.
    Here he is from when I saw him back in the 80s (and more recently)! He's wearing a pink t-shirt and beige shorts in the first pic...
    and he had a nice pair of legs too!! Then and now:: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5304981682_8d134d4be7.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie... to me, Michael was Marius and he was so young, slim and cute... he's still nice now, but his Marius was a joy!
    I saw a young Michael in Aspects (didn't like Aspects though)! He was rather cute in pink, this day when I met him which seems so long ago!!!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5304684798_8c609488fa.jpg

Yes, Michael Ball had come to my attention by then (via Love Changes Everything) so I did manage to see him in Aspects for the first time. I've seen him in every role since (can you tell I like him? :D)

divingboy - I saw Michael Praed in Aspects too. I really liked Aspects, I think the story is intriguing. I agree he was very good in the role. I think Michael Ball has improved greatly as an actor (though I did think at the time that he acted really well). Probably Michael Praed was a better actor at the time. However, when it comes to singing, there is no-one to compete with Michael Ball's voice.

Coming back to Les Mis, no matter how many times I see it I am not only moved to tears by the story but blown away by the talent I see on the stage. These performers beat the pants off the average pop singer (no matter what Simon Cowell thinks!)
  • Options
    Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    ...Coming back to Les Mis, no matter how many times I see it I am not only moved to tears by the story but blown away by the talent I see on the stage. These performers beat the pants off the average pop singer (no matter what Simon Cowell thinks!)

I laugh my pants off when the X factor judges say for a put-down "That was a bit 'Westend Musical'"

Most if not 99.9% of Westend Musical singers could blow ANY X Factor singer off the planet! They get the job because they are that good - They don't even audition second rate, leave alone give them the job.

I remember seeing Claire Moore as Ellen in the original cast of Miss Saigon and whilst she was a secondary character, when she got her song to do, she made up for it by belting out a stunning performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I laugh my pants off when the X factor judges say for a put-down "That was a bit 'Westend Musical'"

Oh I know, I was utterly bewildered to hear that ever being used as an insult.

I enjoyed this documentary, although I do agree that the Matt Lucas aspect was probably to get better viewing figures. That said he seemed to make a fine Thenardier. Les Miserables is a personal favourite and after years of meaning to I finally saw the West End production earlier this year. To have seen this concert would have been beyond amazing but I suppose I'll just have to make do with the DVD of it which I was given for Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catching up with it now. Saw Les Mis in London & San Francisco. Hell of a show. Matt seemed to enjoy himself.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great programme. Im really envious of Matt getting to do this and at the O2!
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking about X Factor, there have been a couple of good 'musical' females to come out of it... namely Brenda Edwards whom I have seen several times in We Will Rock You and she has a really big voice! Another from X Factor that I have really enjoyed seeing a couple of times, is Nikki, the Brummy ex dinner lady, who plays a really good Mrs Johnstone in another of my favourites, Blood Brothers!

I also really like Samantha Barks, who is the most recent Eponine I have seen and she was from the search for a Nancy in Oliver programme.... she seems perfect as Eponine and has a good voice and looks nice too!
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the documentary and Matt Lucas came across well, I can't belive how young Frances Ruffelles looked and the fact she has an grown up daughter who has a successful singing career. I can't believe it got awful reviews but theatre critics tend not be fan of musicals but IMO they are just as legit as plays and I may be slightly biased because I'm a musical theatre lover.

Cameron Mackintosh has taken huge risks with stuff like Cats, Les Miserables and Miss Saigon and it has paid off handsomely, I believe Mary Poppins is the only show where he put his own money in but then it was co-produced with Disney and was likely to be a success anyway.

They did a Phantom one a few years ago and The South Bank Show did a special on Mamma Mia! Maybe they should do Wicked next as it's sort of the successor to the blockbuster musicals of the 80s.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was good to hear that the movie of Les Mis looks like finally being made,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    It was good to hear that the movie of Les Mis looks like finally being made

I've been wanting a movie version of the musical since I became a fan, but I'm really scared they'll screw it up. I'll be hopeful for now, though. The power of positive thinking, and all that! :D
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wanting a movie version of the musical since I became a fan, but I'm really scared they'll screw it up. I'll be hopeful for now, though. The power of positive thinking, and all that! :D

I'm not sure if Les Mis could work as a film, Phantom of the Opera was okay but it works better on stage. Miss Saigon on the other hand is crying to be a movie, it's such an epic story that it would translate to the screen.

Mamma Mia! and Chicago worked great as movies, some like Rent and The Producers just didn't work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Marius is the wettest part in modern musical history...................OK, Raoul is a close second.

Have you read Les Misérables? :) Cosette and her father go for a daily walk in the park and Marius gazes longingly at her for, I'm not kidding, a solid six months before he dare say a word. Now I'm all for a bit of old fashioned courting but I was thinking "for pity's sake just say something to the girl!" At least in the stage play he gets cracking!

I think the other wettest part in the West End is Nancy in Oliver. I love the show but when Bill Sykes beats Nancy up and then she trills "As Long As He Needs Me", I always sit there thinking how pathetic is that. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most if not 99.9% of Westend Musical singers could blow ANY X Factor singer off the planet! They get the job because they are that good - They don't even audition second rate, leave alone give them the job.

I remember seeing Claire Moore as Ellen in the original cast of Miss Saigon and whilst she was a secondary character, when she got her song to do, she made up for it by belting out a stunning performance.

I completely agree and I too saw Claire Moore in Miss Saigon and as Christine in Phantom. Fabulous voice. Lovely person too - I once saw her at the stage door and she was absolutely charming.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Loved the programme last night, do prefer Michael Ball as Marius just don't think Nicks voice was strong enough. Have just downloaded Les Mis book for my Kindle (Xmas pressie) for free off Amazon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Marius is the wettest part in modern musical history...................OK, Raoul is a close second.

Although I don't think Marius was a wet character in the book.(other than dragging his heels getting to know Cossette). Of which I feel a re-read coming on after all the Les Mis chatter :) The character seems somewhat dilluted in the stage version.....Michael Ball is my Marius by a long way, although I enjoyed Gareth Gates though.

I thought Matt did well as Thenardier especially given his lack of experience, and time the constraints. Alun Armstrong is still easily my favourite Thenardier.

Alie Boe has a stunning voice if a little operatic for my own
    personal taste. For me Colm Wilkinson's floaty falsetto is what my Valjean sounds like.

I worry about a film too but Les Mis has a strong enough fanbase that would support it, so lets hope they cast people who can sing the roles over blockbuster names.
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marius is definitely supposed to be a bit wet behind the ears and he needs to show a much more soppy, young side to him than Enjolras and provide contrast with the older principal men. The problem is that a lot of people have Michael Ball's performance at the 10th anniversary concert etched into their brains, but he really was too old for the part by then. He was the obvious choice for a celebration concert at the time, and did a brilliant job, but it's not a good reference point for how the part ought to be played. I really would have loved to have seen Michael in the part when he was the right age. It was fascinating to see him interviewed after the first night looking so fresh faced and excited.

On the other hand, Nick Jonas was just way too young, and couldn't sing or act the part. It's not his fault he was mis-cast. I don't know what posessed them to take such a risk without testing him out first. He was plonked into the West End version, but only as a rehearsal for the O2 concert as part of the contract. I can only presume that they saw how well Gareth Gates took to the part and had got great reviews from some of the biggest anti-pop cynics and presumed he might do the same. Unfortunately, Nick Jonas was the worst Marius I've seen, and I've seen quite a few of varying abilities.

Apparently they already had to sack the parachuted in Cosette for not being up to scratch, so they didn't have much choice but to perservere with their Disney star.

I have to say though that I thought Matt Lucas did a very credible job at Thenardier. It's a shame he couldn't find the time to do a couple of weeks in the part proper, but he definitely didn't distract. It's the kind of part that suits an actor who can sing, whereas the rest of the leads need to be singers who can act.

I loved seeing the clips of the original french production, including the show that went before. I had a good snigger as Lesbian Rebellion too. :D

Regarding West End vs Pop singers. IMO it's a different style of singing and while it is wrong to suggest that being a bit West End = not as good, it is a fair criticism if they cannot adapt their vocal style to something that is more suitable. The slight irony is that even on the BBC Andrew Loyd Webber shows, he tends to shy away from the obvious, old-school stage school type singers, as do a lot of West End casting directors. I think it's more of a lazy description for "not rubbish, but not right for this show, but we need to throw you a bone".
  • Options
    LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I loved the programme....and was lucky enough to see the original cast when it first opened. I was blown away by it, it sent shivers down my spine and was on my mind for weeks to come. It was cast perfectly and regardless of the reviews at the time, you just knew that with the mind blowing talent on that stage it was going to be a huge public success. The story is the king...but those performers MAKE the story the king.

I've since seen it three times spread over its life. There was only one time when I was disappointed with the performances (the middle viewing of the 3...was this early 2000's?). It felt like they were going through the motions, the voices were not up to scratch..it felt lazy and most of the performers seemed to be two dimensional. I remember it was when Trevour Nunn apparently hit the roof when he went to see it and sacked a few people and gave everyone a huge kick up the arse....does anyone else remember that? Anyway, it did the trick and the last time I saw it, some two years ago...wow, it gave me the same thrills as ever...
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hooray! :) I take it you enjoyed it. :) How were the cast?

I saw it in Southampton in July. The cast were fine. John Owen-Jones played Valjean and Gareth Gates was Marius. Not bad and much better as Marius than as a pop singer. His voice has come on a treat. But the role is still soppy! :rolleyes:

I've seen it three times too. First in the West End when Michael Ball was in it, then in Boston, Massachusetts! Strange hearing American voices. Finally the above-mentioned trip to Southampton.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Cant beat the original cast. Alfie Boas voice seems too harsh for valjean somehow. Colms is smooth as silk and heavenly.
    Alun Armstrong was brilliant too. Dont like Matt Lucas somehow. Doesnt warm to me
  • Options
    Pat13Pat13 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    It was good to hear that the movie of Les Mis looks like finally being made,
    I'm not too sure about this idea in case they destroy the whole thing, would be quite happy with a DVD of the stage show in performance. I got the 20th anniversary DVD for Christmas but haven't watched it yet but assume it is going to be similar to the 10th anniversary version when the cast just stand singing at the front of the stage.
    I just have to hear a few bars of any of the music and get all choked up, no other musical has had that effect on me. I saw the stage version a number of times when it was on tour and the fantastic Philip Quast was Javert, his verion of 'Stars' make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.
    I enjoyed the TV programme but think it could have been done just as well without Matt Lucas. I would love to have seen Alun Armstrong back in the role, no one can beat him and I would love to have seen him on stage.