Options

The Blair Witch Project

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of THE most overrated movies of all time. Crap then and crap now!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    At the time of its release I admired the ambition and opportunism of it - the way it utilised the then burgeoning internet to build up interest and catch the eye of the media.

But amidst the furore one thing was rarely mentioned: was it any cop? Sadly not much. As a horror film it was semi-effective in parts, but the sense of being had was a lot stronger. And it didn't lead to any revolution in film-making as some trendy, hyperventilating media twonks predicted. It was a one-off rather than a game-changer.

Where are its makers now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    The swearing gets on my nerves more than anything :mad:

I read on the IMDB that the f-bomb was dropped 154 times. Were they trying to be a Tarantino movie? Either way, it grated like hell very quickly.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disliked the incessant swearing too, but not only that, the three main protagonists were grubby little tossers of the American equivalent of the 'student rioter' type we've seen a lot of over here recently.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was really good originally but it's not at all scary now. Very original for it's time, though.

I completely agree. It was a one off. As you say it is not at all scary now though. You know the narrative of the film, we are now all aware of how the film was promoted and as a film critic Dave Aldridge states you are let disappointed by not actually 'seeing the Witch' or the thing responsible for the Blair Witch myth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blair Witch 2 was good too imo - more "hollywood" style like but good all the same.

I enjoyed "Book Of Shadows" better than Blair Witch (1)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 of my fave films ever,possible best cinema experience ive ever had
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was one of the most boring films I'd ever seen. :eek:
    I know..... it was supposed to be filmed like it was really the video diary of some students. But at the end of the day it doen't matter how it's filmed. becuase we all no it isn't real anyway. So it dIdn't add to the horror imo. It just made it boring and cheap.
    Seriously, if I found someone's recording of what happened in the woods for real. I'd skip through most of it. fact I wouln't watch it. That's for the police to do. They'd be half asleep before they go to anything important, except women, snorting snot out of their noses.
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    There's an episode of Family Guy where Brian takes a blind guy to see this film and has to describe what's going on to him. It's pretty accurate...goes something like this...

'OK, there's some teenagers, they're in a wood looking for a witch for something.......nothing's happening......nothing's happening.......something about a map.....nothing's happening....it's over. The rest of the audience look pretty p*ssed!' :D
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a great film.

It relies on the imagination of the viewer. Maybe that's why so many people don't get it.