MPs whinge about their £15 dinners

Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
Forum Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9970282/MPs-complain-dinner-expenses-rules-not-generous-enough.html
In a hearing with the expenses watchdog, MPs raised a variety of complaints about their dinner allowance, which they may claim up to the value of £15 when "required to be at the House of Commons” because it is sitting beyond 7:30pm.

Thomas Docherty, a Labour MP, said it is “ludicrous” that non-London MPs only get to claim for an evening meal after that time on sitting days.

Kevan Jones, a shadow Labour defence minister, also pointed out that MPs only get £15 per night towards dinner when the rate is around £24 for civil servants and, according to one of his colleagues, £29 for serving soldiers.

The Ministry of Defence said soldiers usually get a daily subsistence rate of just £8.50 or £25 for all three meals if they are away from their base on a course.

Mr Jones said: "IPSA have made some improvements in the scheme but things like the subsistence allowance seem very arbitrary in the way they are being implemented. What we need to do is simplify the system to make it less bureaucratic for claiming and cheaper for the taxpayer."

I'd do away with the allowance. Would that be simple enough for him?

Comments

• MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish my employer paid for my lunch. A fiver would do.

Spoiled brats.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are we paying for their food?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Tell them to take a packed lunch like most people do, the tax payer would save a fortune.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are we paying for their food?

Because they make the rules, not us?

This is only the tip of the problem - the H of C bars and restaurants are all subsdised by the taxpayer. I believe the total amount runs into millions.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I'd do away with the allowance. Would that be simple enough for him?

Everyone has that 'allowance' - when work is overnight then any food supplied is tax free up to £15 - that however is not for dinner but all food during the day.

No sympathy for MPs if that is not enough - if it is not enough for them maybe they can get HMRC to increase the dispensation for meals then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Because they make the rules, not us?

This is only the tip of the problem - the H of C bars and restaurants are all subsdised by the taxpayer. I believe the total amount runs into millions.

I know. It should be stopped immediately as a cost cutting measure.

Anyone that is paid a wage should meet their own food bills.

Even if we work through lunch these days we have to take our own sandwiches and the age of even getting a cup of tea or a biscuit at a long meeting have gone. If low paid staff in both the private and public sector have to meet these costs themselves I don't see why high paid MPs need subsidised arrangements.

By all means provide them with a restaurant selling sandwiches, snacks and meals but don't subsidise it. And don't serve alcohol either - most of us would be dismissed for gross misconduct if we drank on work premises.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone has that 'allowance' - when work is overnight then any food supplied is tax free up to £15 - that however is not for dinner but all food during the day.

No sympathy for MPs if that is not enough - if it is not enough for them maybe they can get HMRC to increase the dispensation for meals then.

Many in the public sector are being strongly discouraged from claiming meals even where the allowance exists - and in most cases are not permitted so far from base that they would need to!
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the expenses scandal it rather sounds like crying in their beer.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Abit of a menu In their private dining room, MPs enjoy the same dishes for a fraction of the price. On that menu last month, according to political blogger Paul Staines – AKA Guido Fawkes – a braised pork belly with black pudding bonbon and apple salad starter was £2.70, while a rib-eye steak with béarnaise and hand-cut chips (I trust these are now being stacked in "the tower arrangement") was generously priced at £7.80. Down the road, a lamb main course (though presumably more expensively sourced) at Roux at Parliament Square is £29.25, while decent steaks haven't cost eight quid in central London since we had a female prime minister.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last time i saw the advert a McD's double cheese burger was £1.49. Considering how many of them look like they live on cheese burgers anyway, i'd say that would be a fair ammount to give in expenses. If the poor are only given enough for cheap unhealthy food and have to be creative to find affordable healthy alternatives then the rich should have to do the same. MP's do, after all, work for us.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My employer chooses to offer a "free" canteen if you are based at head office. I am under no illusion that that is part of our salary package, the reason I say that is because If you don't work at head office they give you a modest allowance, just over a fiver a day instead, however this is taxable so you cannot buy equivalent food for what you start with let alone end up with (they get up to three courses and a soft or hot drink at head office). Many of us travel regionally and nationally so even those based at head office can't always get to the canteen.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    My employer chooses to offer a "free" canteen if you are based at head office. I am under no illusion that that is part of our salary package, the reason I say that is because If you don't work at head office they give you a modest allowance, just over a fiver a day instead, however this is taxable so you cannot buy equivalent food for what you start with let alone end up with (they get up to three courses and a soft or hot drink at head office). Many of us travel regionally and nationally so even those based at head office can't always get to the canteen.

From the Horse mouth (HMRC) http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/income-tax/brief2409.htm
  • monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i take sandwiches in and i sometimes have fish and chips on a friday £2.50 that is

where do i sign up for £15 per day on top of my wages ???
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed, that is when my employer started taxing relevant employees on it (I started there after that date)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And these cockroaches have the brass nerve to lecture the poor about the 'culture of entitlement'.
    Have never and would never vote for a single one of these self-serving parasites.
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    Ahh poor MPs :(
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Copy of claims that can be made.

Travel and Subsistence: MPs may claim for certain travel and subsistence expenses, including food and non-alcoholic drinks, incurred in relation to their parliamentary duties. This includes journeys between the constituency and Westminster, travel within the constituency, extended UK travel and journeys to the EU, all subject to specific limitations and conditions set out by IPSA. MPs may also claim for travel and subsistence expenses incurred for family members and members of their staff, again subject to specific conditions. Claims may also be made in relation to late night parliamentary sittings for hotel accommodation and taxi fares.

http://www.politics.co.uk/reference/mps-pay-and-expenses
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh -and one example of the booze going through the optics...

The house Scotch in the HoC bars is Edradour - a single malt costing upwards from £30 per bottle.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/edradour-whisky-distillery/

Compared to the average house Scotch which would probably be something like Glenfiddich...
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £15! They eat well don't they. Maybe we should make them apply for it by sending a ridiculously long form and then send them to an assesment which they are likely to fail. There will be three groups, The Lunch Group, The you can have Lunch for three days and then you have to watch everyone else group and the starve to death group. Sounds fair to me.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see we are all in this together, wish I could afford £15 for my dinner
  • J_PeasmouldJ_Peasmould Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The plight of our poor "underpaid" MPs reminds me of a book I read at school...many years ago, Animal Farm!!

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=animal-farm-prereading-quiz

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others!!
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My employer (a large multinational) doesn't really subsidise food - although their catering supplier is given a free kitchen and electricity/gas in each office - they basically have to provide the staff and supplies on whatever they take in.

If you are travelling on business you might be able to claim an amount for food back in expenses but it isn't as generous as what MPs get and there are certainly no subsidised fine dining restaurants like there is in Parliament. If you work late in the office there is no company catering anyway and they certainly won't pay for you to eat out.

Most of the employees don't earn what an MP does either.

I don't see why MPs should get it both ways - they get taxpayers to subsidise their restaurants and bars, and they want the taxpayer to pay for the rest anyway. Plus any food they buy for their taxpayer-funded London homes.

It's time things were brought into line based on the typical taxpayer, the ones paying for all this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who complain about their dinners are all potential Serial Killers, its only a small step from complaining about you dinner and murdering your spouse with a hammer.
  • thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £15 isn't too extreme.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £15 isn't too extreme.
    Er.. but when it's in a subsidised restaurant serving stuff that woudl normally cost at least 5-10 times as much in a standard restaurant...

And it's ALL part of the public sector and funded by us taxpayers... who also have to cough for the 30% payrise they voted themselves...