Android wifi hotspot timing out

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
My HTC One has this annoying habit of switching the wifi hotspot off after a certain amount of time (I assume it's related to usage). Is there any way of disabling this, I can't immediately see a setting.

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm interesting mine doesn't do that I accidentally once left tethering on all day to my iPad when I thought I was using my home wifi battery on phone died but wifi hotspot never failed.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've had mine active on my nexus 4 for hours at a time without problems.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    My HTC One has this annoying habit of switching the wifi hotspot off after a certain amount of time (I assume it's related to usage). Is there any way of disabling this, I can't immediately see a setting.

Could it be related to the Wi-Fi battery optimization setting under the advnanced Wifi menu?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

ANOTHER THING!!!

Anyway, i've never had this happen and i tether daily at work. The only thing i can suggest is go to settings, wifi, 3 dots at the bottom, advanced and untick wifi optimisation.

Mine is still ticked and not had this problem though. Why don't you just use your iphone?
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    ANOTHER THING!!!

Anyway, i've never had this happen and i tether daily at work. The only thing i can suggest is go to settings, wifi, 3 dots at the bottom, advanced and untick wifi optimisation.

When I drilled down into the HTC advanced settings I found one called "Power Mode, disable after 10 mins of activity". this is obviously the culprit, I have now changed it to always on. Annoying thing is I left it today in a locked cupboard connected to a charger so that a colleague could use it while I was out for a couple of hours. 10 mins after leaving I got a phone call to say it had stopped working. Why on earth would that mode be invoked when power is connected.
    [Mine is still ticked and not had this problem though. Why don't you just use your iphone?

I detect a note of sarcasm there but I will answer the question at face value.
    Two reasons. Firstly, the iPhone hotspot rarely works via wifi, the only way I can get it to work reliably is connected to my MacBook via a USB cable. I have been saying this for ages on this forum. Secondly, I am still in Kenya and there are reasons why I choose to use one phone or the other as my hotspot at different times. My iPhone has an unlimited data SIM in it (orange) but not as fast a service as the HTC which is using Safaricom but the data is more expensive, I chop and change according to circumstances. Incidentally, as a result of my experiments to find the best service provider for the project I am engaged in I now have 11 local SIM cards - and 11 associated local phone numbers !

You probably won't believe this but it's still my HTC that is running on empty at the end of the day while my 5S is going strong. Probably due to running hotspots a lot, but then I keep my iPhone hotspot switched on 24/7 as it has no noticeable effect on battery. All I know is that I have seen the HTC reboot at least half a dozen times in the last couple of weeks due to a flat battery but the iPhone not once.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    habit indicates more than once, still didn't seem to take you long to fix it after posting this annoying habit ;-)
    Forum Member
    When I drilled down into the HTC advanced settings I found one called "Power Mode, disable after 10 mins of activity". this is obviously the culprit, I have now changed it to always on. Annoying thing is I left it today in a locked cupboard connected to a charger so that a colleague could use it while I was out for a couple of hours. 10 mins after leaving I got a phone call to say it had stopped working. Why on earth would that mode be invoked when power is connected.

I detect a note of sarcasm there but I will answer the question at face value.
    Two reasons. Firstly, the iPhone hotspot rarely works via wifi, the only way I can get it to work reliably is connected to my MacBook via a USB cable. I have been saying this for ages on this forum. Secondly, I am still in Kenya and there are reasons why I choose to use one phone or the other as my hotspot at different times. My iPhone has an unlimited data SIM in it (orange) but not as fast a service as the HTC which is using Safaricom but the data is more expensive, I chop and change according to circumstances. Incidentally, as a result of my experiments to find the best service provider for the project I am engaged in I now have 11 local SIM cards - and 11 associated local phone numbers !

You probably won't believe this but it's still my HTC that is running on empty at the end of the day while my 5S is going strong. Probably due to running hotspots a lot, but then I keep my iPhone hotspot switched on 24/7 as it has no noticeable effect on battery. All I know is that I have seen the HTC reboot at least half a dozen times in the last couple of weeks due to a flat battery but the iPhone not once.

No sarcasm was intended at all. I just didn't understand why you didn't use the beloved iphone!!

Nah, not a chance. I am not going to believe that for a second about hotspotting having no effect on the battery on your iphone. I used to use it with my 4S and it would kill the battery just as fast as any other phone.

Look, do yourself a favour and get rid of the HTC One. It's either completely defective,(defective being you having the worst luck ever with the phone with every single thing not working properly)and buy another iphone.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No sarcasm was intended at all. I just didn't understand why you didn't use the beloved iphone!!

Nah, not a chance. I am not going to believe that for a second about hotspotting having no effect on the battery on your iphone. I used to use it with my 4S and it would kill the battery just as fast as any other phone.

Look, do yourself a favour and get rid of the HTC One. It's either completely defective,(defective being you having the worst luck ever with the phone with every single thing not working properly)and buy another iphone.
    The wifi hotspot wasn't very good on my iPhone 5S. Sometimes I'd have to turn it on and off a few times before my iPad would connect and after about 10 minutes of not using it, it would drop the connection. On my galaxy note and S4, my devices would connect straight away and I could leave it on all day and it wouldn't drop the connection. This one of the reasons why I had to get rid of the 5S.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the hotspot turns off if no device is connected to it for a while, but stays on indefinitely if a device is connected.
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    habit indicates more than once, still didn't seem to take you long to fix it after posting this annoying habit ;-)

But the very fact that nobody (yourself included) pointed me straight at the solution is just symptomatic of the appalling fragmented mess that Android is.
    Forum Member

Please read my posts before shooting your mouth off.
    I didn't say "no effect", I said "noticeable effect". Fact is I get comfortably through a day with the 5S whether or not I have the hotspot on, so therefore I see no reason to turn it off.
    Also, you insist on accusing me of saying everything is wrong with my HTC. Time and again I have corrected you on this saying there are various things for which I prefer the HTC One and Android. I don't have a downer on it in the way you do with all things Apple, I simply report my experience in using both phones in real world scenarios.
    Incidentally, what on earth has 3 year old 4S technology got to do with how the 5S handles things ? You do live in the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the very fact that nobody (yourself included) pointed me straight at the solution is just symptomatic of the appalling fragmented mess that Android is.

However by your own admission tethering rarely works via wifi on the iPhone ? Where is the solo union to that. The fact that it doesn't work very well (my own experience too) what does that say?
    Forum Member
    However by your own admission tethering rarely works via wifi on the iPhone ? Where is the solo union to that. The fact that it doesn't work very well (my own experience too) what does that say?

It's probably a bug. IOS and Android both have bugs. But when working as designed IOS is a lot more self consistent in how you do things.
    Forum Member
    On the issue of battery life with hotspot on, a case in point - It is currently 4 1/2 hours since I took my 5S off charge this morning. Admittedly I haven't used it a lot, but the hotspot has been on and it is currently showing 100% battery.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the issue of battery life with hotspot on, a case in point - It is currently 4 1/2 hours since I took my 5S off charge this morning. Admittedly I haven't used it a lot, but the hotspot has been on and it is currently showing 100% battery.

Sounds like along with a few other problems you have a faulty battery indicator.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably a bug. IOS and Android both have bugs. But when working as designed IOS is a lot more self consistent in how you do things.

Admittedly I never used it on the iPhone 4 because I would have had to call up my service provider and have them enable it and in these days it wasn't free. I was disappointed to find that it didn't work very well on the iPhone 5S.

Has it ever worked well?
    Forum Member
    Please read my posts before shooting your mouth off.

Oh i have, trust me....
    I didn't say "no effect", I said "noticeable effect".

Right. Sill nonsense though.
    Fact is I get comfortably through a day with the 5S whether or not I have the hotspot on, so therefore I see no reason to turn it off.

Because it isn't doing anything!! If it was, your battery would not last longer than the HTC One. Also the HTC One would do the same if it wasn't being used.
    Also, you insist on accusing me of saying everything is wrong with my HTC. Time and again I have corrected you on this saying there are various things for which I prefer the HTC One and Android. I don't have a downer on it in the way you do with all things Apple, I simply report my experience in using both phones in real world scenarios.

Because you do! All we ever see if threads/posts about how bad your HTC One is and how the iphone does everything fine.

I cant be arsed, but i could point to several threads you have started whining about your HTC One.

EDIT:- I could be arsed...

So, we have this thread we are on now, then:-

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1936387&highlight=

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1906544&highlight=

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1904039&highlight=
    Incidentally, what on earth has 3 year old 4S technology got to do with how the 5S handles things ? You do live in the past.

It just does. It's an iphone, it runs the same OS so battery life wise, it will be about the same. And it did not last long at all while tethering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh i have, trust me....

Right. Sill nonsense though.

Because it isn't doing anything!! If it was, your battery would not last longer than the HTC One. Also the HTC One would do the same if it wasn't being used.

Because you do! All we ever see if threads/posts about how bad your HTC One is and how the iphone does everything fine.

I cant be arsed, but i could point to several threads you have started whining about your HTC One.

EDIT:- I could be arsed...

So, we have this thread we are on now, then:-

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1936387&highlight=

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1906544&highlight=

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1904039&highlight=

It just does. It's an iphone, it runs the same OS so battery life wise, it will be about the same. And it did not last long at all while tethering.

Well he seemed to say that it doesn't work over wifi on his iPhone. So I would expect the battery to last if it's not doing any tethering in comparison to the HTC One which will actually do tethering over wifi.
    Forum Member

THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. You really don't pay attention do you. The issue that was being discussed was why Android feels the need to turn off the hotspot WHEN IT IS NOT BEING USED. And no, the HTC One does not do the same when the hotspot is not being used.
    Forum Member
    Admittedly I never used it on the iPhone 4 because I would have had to call up my service provider and have them enable it and in these days it wasn't free. I was disappointed to find that it didn't work very well on the iPhone 5S.

Has it ever worked well?

it works over Bluetooth so it's not a huge deal, just an irritation. In fact I'm typing this on an iPad tethered via BT to my 5S
    Forum Member

Well you seemed to find a solution and fix this very shortly after posting this "annoying habit", strangely.

As android is such a mess it does beggar belief you persist with this android phone, that is bettered (according to you) by the iphone in every respect. Unless of course you hate yourself so much for having an android phone that you clearly find superior, this is your form of self flagellation :D
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Well you seemed to find a solution and fix this very shortly after posting this "annoying habit", strangely.

As android is such a mess it does beggar belief you persist with this android phone, that is bettered (according to you) by the iphone in every respect. Unless of course you hate yourself so much for having an android phone that you clearly find superior, this is your form of self flagellation :D

what nonsense you do post. I suggest you reread my posts over the last year and see where I point out the advantages of android/HTC One over my iPhone.
    Forum Member
    I have better things to do than look for needles in haystacks.
    Forum Member
    THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. You really don't pay attention do you. The issue that was being discussed was why Android feels the need to turn off the hotspot WHEN IT IS NOT BEING USED. And no, the HTC One does not do the same when the hotspot is not being used.

I know what is being discussed here. Its another one of your utter nonsensical posts in a vein attempt to rubbish Android again.

Look, the turning off is an HTC setting. NOT an Android setting. I don't have it on my Nexus 5. But yes, the HTC One will use bugger all battery if the hotspot is not being used. Same as any other phone. The iphone is NOT unique to this as much as you want to believe it is.
    Forum Member
    I really can't be bothered to have this conversation. As ever, you and Mr Sword seem determined to interpret everything I say as a personal attack on your beloved Android. I will get back to something useful, I am already two weeks behind on my project in Kisumu.

Bye