Options

Harper Green PE teacher goes into meltdown (Youtube audio recording)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Don't get all the fuss over this. He just sounded like a typical PE teacher to be honest.

Agreed it's not really a massive big deal.

What drew me in to this thread like a moth to a flame was the supposed outrage towards anyone that would dare criticise a teacher. I mean how could they- 'they're a teacher don't you know :o!!!' kind of thing.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Should be sacked. No doubt about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It's not entirely related, but there are 15 roads opposite this school all named after flowers. That's quite unsual; I've never seen anything like that before.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Should be sacked. No doubt about it.

I think a mild bit of caning would suffice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see the problem with it either tbh.

Nor me. Just a teacher raising his voice, they used to do that all the time at my school.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor guy - sounds like the kids really tipped him over the edge - school kids can be complete brats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    'Have you ever wanted to know what a lesson is like at Harper Green School?'

No.

One particular teacher of mine probably would have burst your eardrum... with a chair...

It did instill discipline in her class though.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get all the fuss over this. He just sounded like a typical PE teacher to be honest.
    That's what I thought.

He 'lost it' in front of a classroom full of little shits which is a shame but no biggie IMO
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ilar wrote: »
    That was just another day in my school, children behave badly, much more now than when I was in school and what can be done about it? - very little. The children were told and didn't listen so the teacher shouts, boo hoo the little darlings are damaged for life, real life is far worse, get over it, perhaps more of the 'old school' attitude and we'd have better educated and all round citizens coming out of schools instead of the many precious self engrossed little princes and princesess who are so aware of their rights but have no clues about their obligations.
    Don't they have Sellotape at that school?

:D My thought exactly.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an idiot. Anyone who let's kids get them that wound up is seriously lacking something

I would have made this guy have a breakdown just because i could
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy_Girl wrote: »
    I think it's fine to record teachers.

In that case it should be fine to record anyone. For example a couple have a big argument, one secretly tapes it, and puts it on youtube (and advertises it on DS) as a warning to any future partners. Fair or not?

He sounded like Brian Glover, the PE teacher in Kes. And as you say, fairly typical! I wish my teachers would have just shouted instead of also resorting to cane, slipper, or ruler.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Currently being shared on my Facebook, this is a recording of the PE teacher at Harper Green ranting and raving at the kids. Justified? Too far? Good teacher? Bully?

I know you lot like your school threads, so listen and decide (It was far worse than this when I was at school btw :D)http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7I504qmsBN0

Same ,when i was at school in the 60s/70s we had far worse and Louder shouted at us :D If people really think this is a meltdown then the bellowing some of the teachers did when i was at school would have probably had the same people campaigning for them to be carted off to the loony bin :o:p
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah forgetting it's been put on youtube for them all to see and viewed by a much bigger audience than a piddly few here at DS so instead of criticising the uploader you have a go at the OP.

I don't think kippeh is the 'clown' here.

Don't give that lil-m the satisfaction, ignore them.

It does seem to appear there is a problem at Harper Green, there should now be an investigation into the conduct of both pupils are teaching staff in order to find out the root cause of the apparently ongoing problems at the school.

Bullying by fellow pupils is bad but when teaching staff apparently do it as well sends a message that its a failing establishment, I was bullied by a teacher for the last two years of my education, told I was thick ignorant and my life would be hell, I never did well at school but I educated myself and got into a career I enjoy. It's a pity because there were some good teachers there who tried to make a difference.

I saw that same sad pathetic bully last month as he was wheeled onto my ward, still as nasty and arrogant as I remembered him and I took immense pleasure in reminding him who I was and that I was his named caregiver.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listened to it and don't understand the fuss.:confused: The teachers at my school were a lot worse than that.

The teachers I respected and took notice of in school never needed to shout, because they had quiet authority as soon as they came into class. I'm talking 70's to late 80's here. The fact that this teacher is shouting like this is not a sign he is in control, it is a sign that he has lost control. He should be thankful that he kept his language clean at least. I have a memory of a PE lesson with a teacher, a woman in my case, doing something very similar and becoming increasingly enraged and almost demented at the whole class. The trouble was that it did not engender a fear or respect of the teacher, but simply mirth & sniggering at her wildly exaggerated behaviour.

AOTB your post #79 said it perfectly regards the kind of teachers pupils REALLY end up respecting, as I've said too.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I don't like him singling out one of the kids to watch the others to 'tell' on them for talking. Not a fair position to put one kid in, forced to either piss off the teacher or piss off the other kids when he asks for names. Both could result in something unpleasant for that child.

It is clear that he has no idea how to control the class, they're clearly not scared of him as they seem perfectly happy to continually ignore his demands that they be quiet. When I think back to when I was at school (left in '08) it was the ones who never raised their voices who had the easiest time controlling classes, the ones that shouted and got irritable were wound up on purpose and laughed at behind their backs for it.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Couple of years ago there was a yt vid out showing a teacher ranting at a class . iirc it was a science lesson. They had deliberately wound him up to record the result.
    In that case it was like something from Lord of the Flies with the teenage brats mentally torturing an adult because they could . It was horrible to watch.
    It must take a strong personality to teach secondary ed. I wouldnt want to do it.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why some people are saying this teacher "lost it". What did he "lose" exactly? :confused:

Sounded to me like a fairly typical sustained bollocking for a few minutes. I daresay such incidents happen in every school up and down the country on a daily basis.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst this is a little over the top with shouting, and the singling out of the child - it is a teacher who is doing their best to control the class.

Week after week we have threads about teachers who show no control of the class, and now when they do (albeit ott) there are complaints.

The teacher who can control a class by just a "look" or just by "commanding respect" is a myth.

usually those teachers have gained that reputation for not standing any misbehavior by, on occasion, being very strong with the class (if not ott).

Ive never seen it just given, its earned.

Teaching is one of the hardest jobs anyone can have. When you have a bad class (and they do exist) with nothing you can do or say can change them, its the worst job.

Im surprised that the internet is not full of teacher rants/ breakdowns every single day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Whilst this is a little over the top with shouting, and the singling out of the child - it is a teacher who is doing their best to control the class.

Week after week we have threads about teachers who show no control of the class, and now when they do (albeit ott) there are complaints.

The teacher who can control a class by just a "look" or just by "commanding respect" is a myth.

usually those teachers have gained that reputation for not standing any misbehavior by, on occasion, being very strong with the class (if not ott).

Ive never seen it just given, its earned.

Teaching is one of the hardest jobs anyone can have. When you have a bad class (and they do exist) with nothing you can do or say can change them, its the worst job.

Im surprised that the internet is not full of teacher rants/ breakdowns every single day.

Absolutely not a myth, from my own standpoint there were teachers who simply had to walk into a room and the class fell silent, whereas there were others who would virtually be ignored half the time.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Absolutely not a myth, from my own standpoint there were teachers who simply had to walk into a room and the class fell silent, whereas there were others who would virtually be ignored half the time.

How does a teacher get to that stage though?
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree with singling out a pupil to grass on others, but otherwise I side with the teacher. It's the few who had the guts to scream like this that actually got the less well behaved students to actually shut up once in a while. Having only come out of school a few years ago myself, I was rather glad to have teachers like this around - or else I probably wouldn't have ever learned anything.

Before he gave they boy the job of writing down names, he said 'Do you want me to stand here and watch you getting changed? (OWTTE) It is probably a rule (maybe even self-imposed) that the teacher should not be in the changing room while the kids are getting changed, so choosing one boy to be his eyes was the next best option. After all, they didn't stay quiet the first time he warned them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    How does a teacher get to that stage though?

To what? The stage of not being able to instill authority, or naturally having it?

I suppose you have to grasp respectful authority from the very first moment with a class. Show any weakness, and a class of youngsters will pounce on it. The fact that the teacher in the clip was shouting away to the extent he was doing was a sign of weakness, not strength on his part.

One of my most enjoyable years in primary school was with a really strict no nonsense, but fair teacher. One of my least enjoyable was with a soft, weak teacher who commanded no real respect and let things almost daily run amok.

Even the worst, idiotic troublemaking pupils will secretly like and respect a strict, authoritative teacher I feel.