Want to buy Samsung Galaxy S5, but from where?

CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, so I've been planning on getting an S5 for ages and it's now out so I want it. I'm going to get it Sim free, and obviously I want it as cheap as possible. Does anyone know where I should get it from? There are a few online places with cheaper price tags, but I'm very worried as I've never heard of these places and it's quite risky buying something so expensive from them.

So can anyone help me and suggest a cheap and extremely safe/reliable place to buy the S5 from? Also, if I order it now, when am I likely to receive it by?

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not safe but eBay av forums, gumtree will all have reputable sellers.. And at the cheapest pride.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look here http://www.hotukdeals.com/ and do a search. You'll pay a lot because it's only just out.

IMHO go for the S4 or Note 3. As the S5 is not really much of an upgrade ;)
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Clove are the cheapest.

http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s5
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    I think Clove are the cheapest.

http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s5

Thank you, these are the kind of shops I've seen but not sure about. Also a website called Handtec.

Do you know if Clove, Handtec etc are safe to use?
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not used Clove but I've heard good things about them and people talking about the site etc.

Gumtree is ok too, I only say that because in most cases it's an individual selling an unwanted upgrade or something, and most sell from their home address(if not don't buy from them). Stick to that rule and you will be fine. I've bought a few phones from people off gumtree and they've all been legit. My current iphone 5 was bought from someone local off there too.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Handtec and Clove are both trusted.
    I would say Clove is better as they are a bit more experienced and have good customer service.

Avoid gumtree imo.

Oh and why not wait for the inevitable price drop? History shows that the Galaxy S5 smartphone should drop in price in June and then later even more in September.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to wait and get the LG G3 instead of the S5 http://www.stuff.tv/lg/mwc-2014/lg-g3-quad-hd-screen-16mp-camera-and-octa-core-processor-could-be-out-may/news

2560x1440 Quad HD
    5.5 inch screen, 16MP camera with optical image stabilisation
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

Good move.

If you can't wait for the LG G3 then you can go to the EU head office and break in and steal the one prototype they have of the LG G3 . It's the only one in Europe so security will be tight so make sure you plan it out first. :D

The LG G3 is going to be the phone with the specs that Samsung, Sony, HTC and others should have bought out. And thankfully LG are fixing a couple of things on the G3 that annoyed me with the G2. It's going to be an awesome phone. The G Pro 2 is already better than the Note 3 imo.
    (can you see my LG bias shining through) :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Good move.

If you can't wait for the LG G3 then you can go to the EU head office and break in and steal the one prototype they have of the LG G3 . It's the only one in Europe so security will be tight so make sure you plan it out first. :D

The LG G3 is going to be the phone with the specs that Samsung, Sony, HTC and others should have bought out. The G Pro 2 is already better than the Note 3 imo.

It actually has the same screen resolution of a 27" iMac ! 16MP camera with optical image stabilisation! an amazing 8 core processor, 3GB of RAM, all screen so no silly soft buttons at the bottom. This is the phone for me.
    Forum Member
    It actually has the same screen resolution of a 27" iMac ! 16MP camera with optical image stabilisation! an amazing 8 core processor, 3GB of RAM, all screen so no silly soft buttons at the bottom. This is the phone for me.

Don't believe everything you read regarding specs. But the OIS, screen res and 3GB RAM is true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't believe everything you read regarding specs. But the OIS, screen res and 3GB RAM is true.

Well the processor is definitely right as LG have moved away from Qualcomm and there are already leaked benchmarks.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just thought I'd say I was considering the S5 until I saw the LG G3, so I thought I'd give other people the heads up and consider waiting 6 weeks for the G3 to come out as specs wise it's a better phone, slightly bigger screen, better res, may have the fingerprint reader (not confirmed), same mega-pixel camera but with optical image stabilisation and looks like it beats the S5 to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Not sure if im allowed to post this here so apologies it not please delete, but I have a new S5 unlocked in White I am selling for £440 if anyone UK based wants?

Been a member on here for a while with lots of posts and can be found as a writer for CoolSmartPhone so have a good rep for a sale.

Again if not allowed to be posted please delete.

Cheers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you considered a nice Moto G :D

£400 savings for the same thing , give or take ;):p
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good move.

The LG G3 is going to be the phone with the specs that Samsung, Sony, HTC and others should have bought out. And thankfully LG are fixing a couple of things on the G3 that annoyed me with the G2. It's going to be an awesome phone. The G Pro 2 is already better than the Note 3 imo.

Whatever LG brings Samsung will equal or top when they bring out the note 4:p

That's the advantage Samsung have with 2 flagship devices which are released at different times in the year.
    Forum Member
    Whatever LG brings Samsung will equal or top when they bring out the note 4:p

That's the advantage Samsung have with 2 flagship devices which are released at different times in the year.

LG do the same. G2 and G Pro 2 for example.
    Im sure we'll get G3 before end of Q2 and G3 Pro at end of the year/early Q1 2015.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Not used Clove but I've heard good things about them and people talking about the site etc.

Gumtree is ok too, I only say that because in most cases it's an individual selling an unwanted upgrade or something, and most sell from their home address(if not don't buy from them). Stick to that rule and you will be fine. I've bought a few phones from people off gumtree and they've all been legit. My current iphone 5 was bought from someone local off there too.
    Handtec and Clove are both trusted.
    I would say Clove is better as they are a bit more experienced and have good customer service.

Avoid gumtree imo.

Oh and why not wait for the inevitable price drop? History shows that the Galaxy S5 smartphone should drop in price in June and then later even more in September.

Thank you both. I probably won't buy from gumtree, ebay etc, because of a bad experience a family member had on a site like that. But will definitely consider Clove.

The reason why I want to get it now is because I've been saying to people for months that I'm getting the phone ASAP, and I can't risk looking like an idiot hahaha :D
    Plus I've been waiting for it for over a year. :)
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tesco direct £560, asda direct £599
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GiffGaff have the S5 for S5 for £515.

The LG G3 will hopefully released with the Qualcomm 805 in the UK rather than some dodgy LG chip.
    Forum Member
    Well the processor is definitely right as LG have moved away from Qualcomm and there are already leaked benchmarks.

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just thought I'd say I was considering the S5 until I saw the LG G3, so I thought I'd give other people the heads up and consider waiting 6 weeks for the G3 to come out as specs wise it's a better phone, slightly bigger screen, better res, may have the fingerprint reader (not confirmed), same mega-pixel camera but with optical image stabilisation and looks like it beats the S5 to me.

Don't believe everything you read. ;)

But yes, thw G3 will beat the S5 im many departments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update guys: I ordered the phone recently from Giffgaff, and it should be here on Monday! Thank you to FInbaar, who suggested them, because they hadn't crossed my mind :D
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to wait and get the LG G3 instead of the S5 http://www.stuff.tv/lg/mwc-2014/lg-g3-quad-hd-screen-16mp-camera-and-octa-core-processor-could-be-out-may/news

2560x1440 Quad HD
    5.5 inch screen, 16MP camera with optical image stabilisation

Great specs but too big.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »

Exactly you have to be nuts to splash that cash out for the new S5 which is such an incremental upgrade.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Exactly you have to be nuts to splash that cash out for the new S5 which is such an incremental upgrade.
    It's a bigger step forward from the S4 than the Z2 is from the Z1 or the M8 is from the M7, yet no-one accuses people upgrading to those handsets of being nuts.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »

Not the same thing at all. The screen on the 5S is full HD and the camera is much better. The S5 has a micro SD card slot which the moto G doesn't have.

I won't even mention the performance differences.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the same thing at all. The screen on the 5S is full HD and the camera is much better. The S5 has a micro SD card slot which the moto G doesn't have.

I won't even mention the performance differences.

The samsung probably has so much bloatware it won't seem like a particularly fast phone.

For a much lower price I have a Nexus 5 which seems much quicker than any samsung.

Even on paper the Nexus 5 is just only fractionally behind in performance with the snapdragon 800 v the tiny marginal 801 used in the S5 which is just a marketing gimmick.

OK the camera is better but for me any smart phone camera is rubbish so it's a case of the samsung bit a bit less rubbish than the Nexus

Finally why buy the S5 new now when you'll be able to get it for a couple of hundred less in a couple of months.